fibre glass repair (1 Viewer)

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
is anybody into fibre glass repairs can you mix body colour in with the fibre glass so it dosent have to be painted or is that not possible anybody know

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Are we talking about grp+gel coat,
If so the gel coat repairs are white anyway as far as I know.

OP
OP
gpz

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
yes it is grp and gel coat the fibre glass ive seen before is red or am i missing something

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Not to my knowledge satisfactorily..

You would be better off doing a good fibre glass job yourself and let a body shop blow it over..

They would come up with a nye on identical match..

Or you could try rattle cans of primer and top coat.... but doubt it would be a perfect match..

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
yes it is grp and gel coat the fibre glass ive seen before is red or am i missing something

A lot of mix yourself fibreglass kit`s are red, some are grey`ish or white...

As my previous post.. do the dirty work yourself...

A photo of the damage may help..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally you do the basic repair with fibreglass mat then finish off with Gel coat which can be colour matched by mixing pigments into the Gel coat.
Had a repair done on the front end of my last van by a local boat repairer, he did a superb job, you couldn't tell it had been repaired.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
There are a few gel coat repairs on the market but I haven't tried any, even though I have cause to. From what I have seen and read, some good repairs can be achieved.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not to my knowledge satisfactorily..

You would be better off doing a good fibre glass job yourself and let a body shop blow it over..

They would come up with a nye on identical match..

Or you could try rattle cans of primer and top coat.... but doubt it would be a perfect match..
Sorry I don't agree Mo, a good boat grp repair man will do a superb job of matching the Gel coat.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry I don't agree Mo, a good boat grp repair man will do a superb job of matching the Gel coat.
I agree with mo if it was a fibre glass repair 👍

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp

I agree Lenny... much the same as I was trying to say. body shop/boat builder..... but..

If what I think the OP is a novice he could make a right mess..

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
gell coat is normally put in the mould first, ( it is mixed with a pigment to give the colour) the mat and resin is then layered up after woulds to give the strength. The gell is set by chemical reaction and remains sticky when open to the air. Garage roofs are done in reverse, the final coat is flowcoat this does not leave it sticky. Again flowcoat can have pigment addded. On gell coat repairs I use tin foil to get the gell coat to set without air. Does depend on what you are trying to repair.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A clear gelcoat can can be coloured/pigmented to anything you wish, the laminating resin is clear but can also be coloured if required, the colour match of the repair will depend on the match of the gel coat, the alternative is repair and paint as has been suggested also.

A photo would be good before offering any more advice.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
gell coat is normally put in the mould first, ( it is mixed with a pigment to give the colour) the mat and resin is then layered up after woulds to give the strength. The gell is set by chemical reaction and remains sticky when open to the air. Garage roofs are done in reverse, the final coat is flowcoat this does not leave it sticky. Again flowcoat can have pigment addded. On gell coat repairs I use tin foil to get the gell coat to set without air. Does depend on what you are trying to repair.
All correct but I will add that you can mix a bit of MW solution with your final Gel coat to prevent it staying tacky.

EDIT sorry forgot the link, https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/mw-solution-wax-in-styrene

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A lot depends on the age and condition of the gelcoat surrounding the repair. New gelcoat on a sun damaged panel will be as obvious as the damage and will age at a different rate to that surrounding it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back