Fiat's New Automatic (9 speed with Torque Converter) (1 Viewer)

rogeroger

Free Member
Oct 6, 2013
ringwood
Funster No
MH
autosleeper symbol es
Exp
since 2011
We have had ours for four months, 1700 miles with 160 bhp. Seamless changes, easy driving but you can't change into top gear if used manually unless you are doing 70 ish. which is fine but on our old six speed it would pull top gear without any snatch or judder at much lower speeds. Fuel consumption so far, 30mpg.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Delayed my purchase and import for a year since I knew the ZF box was coming. Arrived in the UK June 2020, on the road by the mid-Aug and have done 14,000 miles since - getting around 30mpg from the 180hp version. 4 ton PVC. It's very good, smoother than the VW 6 (?) speed 2009 Triptonic which I thought was excellent.

Jul 13, 2020
Near Ashby De La Zouch
Funster No
MH
Elddis 250
Exp
Had one June 2020 only 6000 miles to date due to lockdown, just done 4100 miles France, Spain, Portugal, crossed Pyrenees via Saint -Jean -Pied-de-Port for the first time. no problems even climbing 360 degree bends. No fear of stalling on any hill starts, roundabouts no trouble,
140 bhp OK computer takes care of gear changes,close ratio means always in correct gear for the engine rpm(usually cruising 1500--2000). Never needed full 140 HP at 3000 +rpm, 30 ish mpg, use manual gear sellection decending Pyrenees, brakes got a bit smelly, relax and enjoy the ride(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Diver Bryn

Free Member
Dec 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Now that Fiat do a proper autobox with a torque converter, rather than the Comfortmatic robotised box, I wondered what experience members may have of the new box as I'm very tempted to buy anew MH with it.
Your experience please.
I to am new to motorhomes and test drove on 12/12/21 the new Burnster 745 with Fiat 140bhp euro 6 and Fiat 9 speed gear box. Always thought Fiat were iffy when it came to mechanicals. But for the hour I had drive gears smooth changing no clunking and engine not at all noisy. I to thought would love to hear a long term review on the above.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I've just bought one with the old gearbox. Hope I don't regret it.
Plenty other big names use a robotic gearbox. Ford powershift, VW Audio, Skoda all produce DSG gearboxes. It's not unusual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
Plenty other big names use a robotic gearbox. Ford powershift, VW Audio, Skoda all produce DSG gearboxes. It's not unusual.
I believe Ford have stopped fitting the Powershift. My Ford based motorhome had a torque converter auto gearbox, which is used on most of their cars now. There are a number of lawsuits ongoing in various countries because of known problems with the gearbox. Ford were fined $AU10,000,000 in Australia over problems with the gearbox.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
A DSG is quite a bit more advanced than an robotised manual. A robotised manual is literally a standard manual gearbox with two servos to drive the left-right, up-down selectors on the gear linkage and a pretty standard clutch with a servo to engage/disengage the drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back