LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Having never owned or driven a Fiat I don't know for myself but I have been reading some horror stories about juddering in reverse and losing 5th gear.

I have driven VW, Transit, Boxer, Citroen, Trafic and not had any such worries, is it worth me being put off buying one as there are some great Moho's out there built on their chassis?

Confused of Bolton.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
5th gear replacement.
Okay done it myself, jacked n/s of van up, removed wheel for easy access but no need, and can be done on side of road.
Drain oil 2.7 litres, remove 5th gear cover on end of g/box exposing x2 cogs, one nut C type can be undone with sharp blow from blunt chisel. replaced 5th gear, kit costing £274 as several teeth were missing, swarth attached to magnet which i placed outside of cover when gear went, selectors were okay however i turned selector gear around as no 6th gear ,so teeth not worn on other edge side.
replaced oil £30.60 this has to done through reverse light switch found on top of G/box. Old Oil was clear and gold colour but did not want to chance returning to box. gear cover gasket is rubber and can be re used.

Be careful when removing selector gear as x3 springs and ball bearings likely to pop out, do check mechanism is moving properly though slight resistance felt as bearings seat. the whole cluster 5th gear and selector mechanism can be slid of the shaft as one piece, remember to remove selector fork nut though..
estimate that job could be undertaken in a couple of hours now i know what to do, awaited for Fiat parts 2 days
looked on e-bay for comparison ,however teeth numbers are different so this would alter the gearing ratio, and i did not want to chance it.
The citroen and peugeot gearbox do sometimes differ in gearing and locking nuts sizes used on gear shafts, If you replace the selector mechanism this is another £330 odd.
But be careful if you have difficulty with engaging other gears as this may require G/box overhaul.
to date only covered approx 50 miles but all working and no unusual noises. hope this is useful.(y)

update no further problems, gear change smooth and perfect.

Upvote 0

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Not the same, certainly different engine and properly other components as well . Had Fiats and would not have another.

Mike
Fiat is part of the Stallantis Grp, one if not 'the' biggest vehicle manufacturer in the world, Ducato, Boxer and Relay are ALL made on the same production line. Its a common practice throughout vehicle manufacturers, I can't imagine they get Citreon or Peugeot 'engines' delivered from France to Italy it would make no commercial sense !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Classic .. :LOL:

I've been researching new PVCs and it's nigh on impossible to find any built on anything other than a Sevel chassis.
I'd be happier with Ford.. but I understand why most converters use Sevel ..
That's is some part due to the fact that the Ducato shape makes a better PVC than the transit or sprinter. The latter are a bit narrower and less square.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
- Fiat is part of the Stallantis Grp, one if not 'the' biggest vehicle manufacturer in the world, Ducato, Boxer and Relay are ALL made on the same production line. Its a common practice throughout vehicle manufacturers, I can't imagine they get Citreon or Peugeot 'engines' delivered from France to Italy it would make no commercial sense !!
the various engines are common to multiple vehicles, supplied by iveco (fiat), ford (peugeot) and others such as renault. The chassis cabs are assembled at one plant with the engine options assembled at others and trucked in using a JIT process. The main factory holds almost no stock of engines etc. As you sat this is now common throughout the automotive industry. What is more shocking is down a component level, there are only a handful of manufacturers making other parts. The only difference in some is part number and printing on the box it ships in, but with different prices from each manufacturer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
Exactly, makes no sense (although I'm sure there are cost savings somewhere)
I read this week that the 'new' LR 'big Range Rover will have a BMW engine . . Yet JLR spent £100's millions on a state of the art engine factory on the M54 near Telford . . . I suppose they're too busy making engines for Fiat, Peugeot and Renault 😄 😂 😄

Steve

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back