Fiat X290 Change factory UConnect5 Sat Nav (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Well it can be done but it's not that simple. First thing you notice if you remove the Sat / Nav is that the milage on the speedo starts to flash. That's because the Fiat has realised that the Sat / Nav is not working. The only option you have is a PROXI Reset by a Fiat Dealer and get them to tell the vehicle it's got an After Market Sat Nav fitted. This will then change the MODE operations on the right hand side of the dash to show the Date and Time Setting which was done buy the UConnect5 unit before you removed it. You will also notice that the UConnect5 unit looks like it is a Double Din unit. Fiat have actually used a Single Din unit with a larger front. It is possible to fit a Double Din frame and also to get a black dash panel to fit. You do need to do some cutting of the plastic dash and some measuring to get it to fit. Also helps if you remove the top part of the dash ( the bit that lifts up ) mine is no held in with velcro and two screws. You are going to need a box of tricks that will listen to the Canbus and provide the relevant signals to your new Sat Nav. I picked a German made CX-401 .. http://pdf.ampire.de/caraudiosystems/CX-401/man_eng_CX-401.pdf .. This gives all the right outputs but it interferes with the CanBus by sending out messages and the Fiat Canbus does not like it and the milage on the speedo starts flashing. After a long search on the internet I sorted out which chips in the CX-401 did what and found the track that was responsible for sending the information to the Fiat Canbus. See my post here .. http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/440756-ducato-x290-changing-radio-sat-nav.html .. Once I cut the track and tried everything it all worked even the steering wheel controls. There is a Connect2 unit available in the Uk but that tries to mimic the radio and tries to tell the Fiat that it still has a radio Sat / nav. Problem with this is that you cannot change the date and time because the Fiat still thinks it can be done via the radio.

Reason for changing the UConnect5 Sat / Nav is Tom Tom based and updated maps are only available when Fiat decide. Up to date maps for mine were 2014 some 2 years out of date. UConnect5 cannot input user POI files you have to put them in one by one. You are stuck with the standard voice. The screen is so cluttered that it was hard to see the map.

Changed for a Blaupunkt 945 true Android Sat / Nav and DAB Radio.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back