Fiat X290 ABS/Comformatic problems (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In Spain at the moment and the van through a bit of a wobbly today.

A bit of background first, a few ago months at 14000 miles ago I swapped the spare onto RHS front, the other side had about 4mm tread depth. On a few a occasions I have had the LHS front wheel tramping and the traction control cutting in. I had put it down to the more worn tyre on that side. So before this trip as the LHS front had done 19000 now I swapped one of the rears to the front which had a bit more tread. With this arrangement it did it again just the once a few days ago.

Now today's problem I had just pulled out of a parking area started up a hill the van virtually stops, both front wheels tramping engine running traction control comes on, front wheels burning rubber. Engine almost stalls a few times, we are stationary burning rubber it appears like the traction control is putting the brakes on and the engine is fighting it. No sign of clutch slipping but loverly smell of burning rubber and big black marks on the road.

I reversed back down to a fairly flat bit, tried again the same problem on the flat. Turned ignition off restarted and all was fine.

Half a mile later come to a steep hill starts off fine part the way up van slows down but revs try to stay up, it the changes to 2nd and is all OK. A bit weird as Comformatic is only a robotised manual and there was no sign of a slipping clutch. I'm thinking the brakes may have been coming on.

Next we come to a really big hill so I flipped it into manual and had no problems at all getting up it.

These hills were in quick succession as we were going around a mountainous wildlife park.

My thoughts are it could be an ABS sensor or ABS ECU problem.

Just hoping someone has had similar problems and give me some guidance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh hell ... maybe we should have stuck with the manual version for our new MH! o_O I ain't gonna tell hubby about this thread. ?

Hope you get it sorted Lenny ...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting it hasn’t brought up a management light of some kind to generate a fault code

Best of luck finding the fault and for a cheap repair ?

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Quick one check you haven’t broken a front coil spring. Had this happen on a car causing the front wheel on one side to tramp/ bounce and threw the abs into meltdown. Took a bit of sorting but that was the cause

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The traction control operates by detecting a difference in wheel revolutions one side to the other. It seems hardly likely that it would be sensitive to the very small tyre size variation caused by your swaps but might be worth a check. I agree that it's worth checking the toothed rings as well. I don't believe it has anything to do with the clutch or gearbox.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Unfortunately not under warranty it's 2½ years old.
Sorry Lenny, I didn’t realise you’d had it that long.
Time flies and all that.

I wouldn’t think your problem is too much to worry about, probably something really simple.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Quick one check you haven’t broken a front coil spring. Had this happen on a car causing the front wheel on one side to tramp/ bounce and threw the abs into meltdown. Took a bit of sorting but that was the cause

I've just had a spate of broken springs on the whole families cars, including both my rears. Springs don't seem to be made of spring steel any more.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you’ve got the tools, get it up and wire brush the abs sensors and check all the wiring, a wire may have got caught when wheel was changed..?
Not getting under there with a Fiat sissor jack proping it up.
Don't think it's a sensor as ABS light not coming on.
No springs, Goldschmitt full air suspension I would soon know if anything was wrong
The traction control operates by detecting a difference in wheel revolutions one side to the other. It seems hardly likely that it would be sensitive to the very small tyre size variation caused by your swaps but might be worth a check. I agree that it's worth checking the toothed rings as well. I don't believe it has anything to do with the clutch or gearbox.
I was thinking about grip levels on the tyres but on the hill traction control was effecting both wheels. So I'm thinking more likely to be the ABS ECU. Strange that it performed perfectly in manual mode but the fault is probably intermittent.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
TC will only apply the brake to the spinning wheel which will put all the load, and some, on the opposite wheel momentarily.
Because you're going uphill that may be enough to start that wheel spinning and TC has braked it so the other, which now won't be braked, has taken the strain and lost traction.
And repeat.... Repeatedly.
By reversing and getting another run you probably got a better run at the hill and missed any possible fuel or oil spill which caused it in the first place.... A bit of old diesel spill would be hard to notice if you weren't looking for it.
If it was an ABS reluctor ring I would expect it to be permenant with a code and dash light

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Last time I had that sensation I had left the diff lock on. Disengaged it all was fine, but my pooper was going thinking about the cost.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Interesting, I had a very similar symptoms two motorhomes ago with 150bhp and comfortmatic with traction+ option when in the French Alps.

Happened twice, stopped both times and had to restart twice, leaving a few minutes between and the fault cleared. Checked with OBD reader I always carry and no fault recorded. Never happened again in the year after while I had the motorhome.

Maybe this is not much help but it may be the same and not occur again.

Just remembered, stopped, turned off ignition and locked doors with key remote, waited a couple of minutes and restarted.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
when you say you "think" the brakes are coming on... is that just by feel (either a pulsing brake pedal or the van slowing down) or are you actually hearing a BRRRRRRR from the traction pump?
You SHOULD be able to HEAR the traction working (if it is) if you are not Mutton Jeff.

Bed time now though so post will have to wait

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
TC will only apply the brake to the spinning wheel which will put all the load, and some, on the opposite wheel momentarily.
Because you're going uphill that may be enough to start that wheel spinning and TC has braked it so the other, which now won't be braked, has taken the strain and lost traction.
And repeat.... Repeatedly.
By reversing and getting another run you probably got a better run at the hill and missed any possible fuel or oil spill which caused it in the first place.... A bit of old diesel spill would be hard to notice if you weren't looking for it.
If it was an ABS reluctor ring I would expect it to be permenant with a code and dash light
That was exactly one of my thoughts but then on the next hill it did the strange slowing down but recovered when it changed into second.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
when you say you "think" the brakes are coming on... is that just by feel (either a pulsing brake pedal or the van slowing down) or are you actually hearing a BRRRRRRR from the traction pump?
You SHOULD be able to HEAR the traction working (if it is) if you are not Mutton Jeff.

Bed time now though so post will have to wait
Had my foot on the gas do wouldn't feel the brakes. Traction light comes on and you get a loud thumping noise and the wheels are trying to spin but getting stopped, then released do they spin up and burn rubber.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interesting, I had a very similar symptoms two motorhomes ago with 150bhp and comfortmatic with traction+ option when in the French Alps.

Happened twice, stopped both times and had to restart twice, leaving a few minutes between and the fault cleared. Checked with OBD reader I always carry and no fault recorded. Never happened again in the year after while I had the motorhome.

Maybe this is not much help but it may be the same and not occur again.

Just remembered, stopped, turned off ignition and locked doors with key remote, waited a couple of minutes and restarted.
Now that sounds very interesting, problem when you get this sort of fault it gets very worrying. We love mountains but worried about taking it into the mountains now, 1st week of a 6 week trip.
Another problem is with the traction plus the traction control is on all the time and you can't turn it off.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Are you not able to engage/disengage traction+ with the switch on the lower dashboard? Might be getting this wrong but isn't there a message displayed in the instrument panel led screen when you press the switch with the traction+ symbol?

Can't check on my current motorhome as whilst I prefer automatic, I went for manual and no traction+ option due to niggling issues experienced on previous ones.

Hope this resolves itself and doesn't spoil what seems to have been a great trip.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Just read my Fiat manual for 2015 X290 with Comfortmatic. Traction + is switched off automatically when starting up and activated by pressing extreme right button of 7 centre dash.
SORRY, bit slow there. Still reading manuals and workshop bumf.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010

I don't have experience with Fiat traction control, but I do with different 4x4 vehicles. On a 4x4 it is mandatory to swap front and rear tyres every 10,000 km, it is recommended every 5,000. The difference in thread is enough to cause early wearing out of a central differential or even worse for those with a multi-disc clutch instead of a differential.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised the difference in thread caused some problem in the traction control behaviour.

What I'do: try to get 2 tyres with the same thread depth on the front axle and see if there is a way to reset the electronics (I have no idea on how to do that). If no improvement I'd head to Fiat.

On any vehicle, it is never recommended to change only one tyre on an axle, it will always cause unbalances in behaviour, mostly for breaking.

OP
OP
Lenny HB

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just read my Fiat manual for 2015 X290 with Comfortmatic. Traction + is switched off automatically when starting up and activated by pressing extreme right button of 7 centre dash.
SORRY, bit slow there. Still reading manuals and workshop bumf.
That is right the switch only effects traction plus, not the basic traction control.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Now that sounds very interesting, problem when you get this sort of fault it gets very worrying. We love mountains but worried about taking it into the mountains now, 1st week of a 6 week trip.
Another problem is with the traction plus the traction control is on all the time and you can't turn it off.
I have some time this morning - if you want me to do a bit of research like finding the nearest 'professional' dealer is happy to do so. From what I have read so far from the posts it doesn't sound like something a (very) Competent DIYer type of job to me. I also would not want to be stuck on a mountain pass either! So take the medicine and get it looked at. Let me know if you need any help and your rough location.
Actually what 'StephanBosman' mentioned sounds a really good call.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
As mentioned earlier check ABS sensors and leads also check the ABS rings are not damaged, dirty or rusty and clean with wire brush.

Im not a fan of the comfortmatic, too many horror stories. At least they now make a Ducato with a proper auto

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back