Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
In Spain earlier this year the yellow engine management light came on, took it to Fiat Professional in Denia, they discovered that a small pipe running to a black unit under the bonnet had split rendering the turbo inoperative. Replaced the pipe all fine for a few miles then light on again. Went back, this time the diagnostics were pointing to the second fan not kicking in - it was in fact. They said it wasn't a faulty sensor, problem was probably in the wiring. They confirmed it was safe to drive the vehicle back to the UK for me to take to the local Fiat Prifessional garage to rectify. They could only spare an hour to look at it and couldn't trace the source of the problem.

I think I have found the source of the problem!

As the motorhome is an A class Hymer it is very difficult to look into the engine bay properly so I decided to remove the nearside headlight unit (LHD vehicle) which allowed me to get my head inside for a good look.

On the X250 there is a bundle of loom wires, wrapped at intervals by black tape, which runs along the chassis rail towards the back of the dashboard. It is secured in two places by cable clips and in my case I discovered that the loom had been rubbing against the chassis to such an extent that it had worn through the paint creating a patch of bright clean metal. I couldn't see that the friction had worn through the insulation on the very thin wires but stuck a rubber patch over the metal to create insulation and started the engine to test - no EML illuminated.

I wonder if the proximity of the wire to the 'earth' was causing some tracking of current from the wire which caused the light to come on? I have now held the loom away from that area with cable ties and hope that it proves to be a permanent fix.

Might be an idea for anyone with an X250 base to check if their loom is catching in the same area which on RHD vehicles will be on that side of the engine bay.

Mike

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
There has also been a case of wires rubbing where they enter through the door pillar causing the emu light to illuminate. The insulation of the wiring loom is somewhat feable.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I see you posted this on the Dark Side first. :) Their smilies are not allowed on here.
But thanks for the heads up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
My EML light came on on a journey last Fri, carried on as normal as nothing seemed to be wrong.
Parked up for three nights, Monday am, started up fine, journey fine, and no light on.

Just had a peek at the loom and mine is set in clips keeping it off that seam in the bodywork. I wonder if damp caused the EML to come on as the previous night we did have a very heavy rain storm!

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Blooming thing back on again today, in Holland, running fine, but annoying.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can I point you at My post earlier to-day as to a possible Issue?

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back