Fiat.. X2/50 water ingress video (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003

Thereis a massive discussion on that other site on this problem.
My new van is one of these new Boxer/Ducato models & going in to be fixed next week. The design is clearly flawed & the manufactures are aware of the problem.
Anyone with a new model should check if they have the "Water feature" problem & get to a dealer to get the fix.

Keith

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Anyone here had the full fix yet,reseal of scuttle with additional rubbers and a new engine cover?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Mine has been in to be re-sealed & new part fixed, but in recent rain the center joint is once more leaking. :cry: So back we go.
I understand from discussions I have read that new vans are being fitted with covers.

So the story continues

Keith

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Fiat Recall

Hi Keith,

You might find the following link useful. :Smile: You might already have seen it where I posted it elsewhere. Link Removed

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Hi Keith,

You might find the following link useful. :Smile: You might already have seen it where I posted it elsewhere. Link Removed

Don

Thanks Don
Yes I had seen your earlier post. There seems to be a lot of rumours about what the companies are going to do, so we still don't know how this problem will be solved.

Keith

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
Had an e-mail today from these people would need to know if it works first before trying it

we are Innotec UK

the cure is for the water ingress is Press Tape 10mm, a sealer on a roll i am producing a full instruction leaflet that details how to effect a repair

we also have the following products to cure incidental damage
D Block Oil for de rusting injectors
MS1000 to then coat the engine top which will disperse any damp and protect from rusting

total costs as follows

press tape 10mm £15.77 per roll
d block Oil £ 6.92 per 500ml can
MS1000 £5.89 per 500ml can

total cost including VAT and Postage £41.12

regards

Nigel Spencer
Innotec Ecosse Ltd

you can pay by card or cheque

I am still waiting for my new re-seal as well as the engine cover over the injectors there is now a plastic cover for the ABS pump. I wonder what gets covered up next::bigsmile:

buccaneer

Free Member
Oct 14, 2007
Funster No
here's alink to some of the factory workers

Link Removed

maybe a few need re-training:Smile:

T

toymaker

Deleted User
Fiat water ingress

Hi all
I have a new Fiat based Rapido, the 3 litre 160 BHP version. When I asked Chelston Motorhomes about this problem they agreed to do the work under warranty although they didn't supply the van. :Smile: Although the water still gets in they assure me that the substance they have applied around the injectors is all that is required. I understand that the engine cover is only available for the smaller engine, anyone out there know anything about this?

Cheers all, happy travelling.:Cool:

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi all
I have a new Fiat based Rapido, the 3 litre 160 BHP version. When I asked Chelston Motorhomes about this problem they agreed to do the work under warranty although they didn't supply the van. :Smile: Although the water still gets in they assure me that the substance they have applied around the injectors is all that is required. I understand that the engine cover is only available for the smaller engine, anyone out there know anything about this?

Cheers all, happy travelling.:Cool:

hi toymaker I've got a Peugeot based Starburst 3ltr and recently had engine cover fitted by Warners of Tewkesbury and scuttle bonded to windscreen. As I was told by Peugeot customer care they have stopped supplying engine covers since the end of May (then they were only given to people who had rung them to complain). All they do now is what I suspect has been done to yours and that is to cover injectors with Waxoyl. hope this helps. Worky

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
had my van done .engine cover and scuttle bonded under warantee by fiat dealer
no problem with water ingress now. :thumb:

T

toymaker

Deleted User
water ingress

hi toymaker I've got a Peugeot based Starburst 3ltr and recently had engine cover fitted by Warners of Tewkesbury and scuttle bonded to windscreen. As I was told by Peugeot customer care they have stopped supplying engine covers since the end of May (then they were only given to people who had rung them to complain). All they do now is what I suspect has been done to yours and that is to cover injectors with Waxoyl. hope this helps. Worky

Thanks Worky, I have spoken to Chelston Motorhomes again and they have agreed to fit an engine cover and seal around the windscreen. They have told me that their instruction from Fiat is to only offer the engine cover and sealing if a customer insists on it. So everyone out there with this problem; START INSISTING.

Cheers all:Smile:

mikel

Free Member
Mar 24, 2008
Funster No
I had the water running amok inside the engine bay too so I decided to investigate.

I've got all the plastic cover plates fitted over this that and the other. A load of bollocks really when you think about it. Like an umbrella inside an umbrella.

A quick call to the Dealer and Yes ! all the re-calls have been done. More bollocks I thought. What do they know about water ingress. Sell kitchen units or motorhomes, repair plugs or service a motorhome - they don't give a damn. It's all dosh to them.

As an aside here if anyone has my Oyster automatic 85cm.satellite dish/unit ''lost'' whilst under repair to to ''Transleisure - Bill - Anthill-Ltd.,'' and acquired by premiermotorhomesltd.com, the latter transfer of ownership not agreed to by me, please let me know. It's a big thing and works well. Anyone who has recently bought a secondhand unit from either of the above, and most are secondhand by the way, please let me know by pm. I have great faith in the motorhome community but not so much the Dealers. I for one would hate to think I was using an ''acquired'' component that legally belonged to someone else, know what I mean ??winkwink.

Anyway I ingress. The wife held the hose and sprayed the windscreen as if she was watering her garden by moonlight.

1. Water runs behind the ill fitting scuttle as it contacts the windscreen face. The scuttle was warped.

2. Water leaks through the overlap in the two section scuttle and drips on to the engine head. Bad seal design.

3. Water drips through two drain holes in the bottom of the scuttle, one drainhole serving the wiper pocket on the right hand side and the other drainhole serving the extreme left hand side pocket. That's for a lhd vehicle but may be the other way round for a rhd. The drain holes I assume are there to keep the water away from the wiper shafts, as they penetrate the scuttle, but drain directly to the engine bay !!!

The holes are less than 1/4'' and not easy to see. There are also larger holes in the pockets which should be capped.

Great idea, soak a bunch of electronic components which sit directly under one of the holes . Now that gets rid of the water from the pocket but dear me do you really want water dripping on stuff that decides to throw the towel in at some time when you're not two minutes from home ??

So here's what I did.

I didn't call the Dealer or anyone else from that side of the business just in case a few parts went missing. Neither did I feel like being re-educated or indirectly being told I was an ageing git who couldn't understand basic mechanical aspects of ''stuff and things''. Call me paranoid but who knows...

1.I Got a new scuttle fitted paying particular attention to the scuttle/windscreen seal.

2.I got the ''scuttle man'' to seal the joint of the the two half scuttle as it was fitted.

3. Spent a morning in B & Q and bought some tubing, grommets and a plumbing thingy (metal piece of pipe really). Fitted the grommets to the drainholes. Force fitted the plumbing thingy through the grommet and then slipped the end of the metal thingy in to the tubing. Thereafter I ran the tubing to a low point holding it in place with those plastic things that come a thousand to a packet. You only need half a dozen though.

So that day, the job only takes a couple of hours, the wife sprayed the windscreen again. And would you believe it !! Not a drop of agua in the engine. I even watched the water drain through my plastic tubing to the ground. I could take photographs and try and put them on here.

So back to the Oyster dish. Anyone suspect they may have mine, it's grey by the way. :RollEyes:

I deny all knowledge of the above and accept no responsibility for my views or actions !
That should do it.

iain4702

Free Member
Sep 8, 2008
East Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
water ingress

My new E560 Bessacarr bought new in July 2008 has been fitted with plastic cover so hope this solves the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back