Fiat VIN Plate Alteration (1 Viewer)

Mickjohn

Free Member
Oct 1, 2009
Funster No
Hello,
Looking for help please as a costly exercise is pressing. I have a 1998 Hobby M/H, first registered in Germany and built on a Fiat Ducato chassis. It has been imported into the UK and has a UK registration number. I, however live in France and want to re-register the vehicle over here. France built Hobby's of that age were built upon a Citroen chassis and so the certificate of conformity that Hobby France will supply will not include the chassis. Another certificate from Fiat has to be obtained for the chassis. Obviously each step costs more and more hard earned.
THE PROBLEM. The VIN plate on the vehicle has a vertical line of four weights; the bottom two, numbered 1-, and 2-, are OK, but the top two weights, which do not have a prefixed number, are crossed out with, XXXX, and overwritten with a new single weight. This appears to have been carried out professionally, but by whom I do not know. Why has this been carried out and by whom??
The authorities (DRIRE) over here in France are very conscientious. Will this affect the re-registration if the certificate Fiat France supplies does not reflect this alteration?
Thank you in advance for any info provided.
Mick
PS. I do believe there has been info placed on this website previously with regards this problem, but I couldn't find it!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
chances are Hobby have uprated the chassis weight at their factory and instead of fitting a second plate they have altered the original.

cant really see the different chassis (fiat instead of peugeot) causing a problem as the cert of compliance states what it is....a motorhome on a fiat chassis.

i believe it is always difficult to import into france and can be a long process.

OP
OP
M

Mickjohn

Free Member
Oct 1, 2009
Funster No
Thank you Pappajohn! I also don't see the problem between Fiat and Citroen/Peugot chassis - they are the same thing but that is the French DRIRE for you! But an alteration to the VIN plate is what is worrying. As for importing a m/h into France, it's not that bad! Obtain the certs of conformity, change the gas regulator to a French model and a cert from Bureau Veritas for the gas installation, a French MOT and then an inspection from the Government body, DRIRE, making sure your access door is on the right hand side. With each step resulting in the opening of the wallet of course. Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back