Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
When we were away recently driving along a dual carriageway somewhere north of the Dordogne , John, who was driving, said, can you see the TPMS light? I think it is on but not sure. I looked and there was a faint mark where the symbol is but definitely not lit.
Of course, we pulled into next layby anyway. Visually checked the tyres, checked the pressures with the 12v compressor, one front down .1 bar so put the compressor on all four to same pressures. Visually checked tyres again by me driving forward slowly and John visually checking.
TPMS light definitely off for rest of holiday.
Today went for MOT and there was a nail in one of the rear tyres. It must have gone psst briefly, then sealed up. But the faint symbol on dash remains a mystery surely on or off?

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
"can you see the TPMS light? I think it is on but not sure. I looked and there was a faint mark where the symbol is but definitely not lit."
"the faint symbol on dash remains a mystery"

Quite normal for our Ducato dashboard.

Trying to read it always makes me feel quite envious of the talents possessed by the scholars who worked out the Rosetta Stone; equally of those who exercised their grey matter at Bletchley Park.

I'm often reduced to peering at it in the manner of a long sighted gypsy fortune teller trying to make sense of the random patterns swirling in her crystal ball, in a vain attempt to gain some insight as to our current velocity.

Despite a fair amount of skill in reading Tarot cards, the information potentially emanating in the random orange flickering within the Stygian darkness of the Ducato instrument cluster continue to elude me, in a similar manner that the complexities of existence at the bottom of the Mariana Trench evade the understanding of our puppy Bodeguero - We both suspect that something, maybe important, is represented visually but have resigned ourselves to continue in blissful ignorance until an olfactory version is presented.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I'm often reduced to peering at it in the manner of a long sighted gypsy fortune teller trying to make sense of the random patterns swirling in her crystal ball, in a vain attempt to gain some insight as to our current velocity.
We use an old phone, with no sim, and the GPS app on, stuck in the air vent, on a holder.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Are you sure your Fiat actually has TPMS?
Ours doesn't (2021 model).

I think it was in one of the Option Packs on our 2020 Fiat.🤔

Just checked, it‘s on the Sunlight Accessory list when they order the van from Fiat.👍

Last edited:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oh! Isn’t the Fiat vehicle considered a “passenger vehicle”?
tpmsdirect said:
In the European Union, TPMS is mandatory for all new passenger vehicles released after November 1, 2012. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger vehicles sold in the European Union must be equipped with TPMS.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Well I suppose that is a possibility. It is in the handbook but then all optional extras are.
Not sure how I would check.?
If it is fitted, then it does cope with a wide range of tyre pressures, from 80 psi in showroom all the way down to the 42 psi front and 48 psi rear recommended by Continental after I gave them my weighbridge results. I didn’t like the side wall bulging of that so currently running at 55 psi all around and I put them up to 60 if left in drive for a while.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Well I suppose that is a possibility. It is in the handbook but then all optional extras are.
If it is fitted, then it does cope with a wide range of tyre pressures, from 80 psi in showroom all the way down to the 42 psi front and 48 psi rear recommended by Continental after I gave them my weighbridge results. I didn’t like the side wall bulging of that so currently running at 55 psi all around and I put them up to 60 if left in drive for a while.
If you are running those pressures and it hasn't triggered the TPMS, it is very unlikely that you actually have a TPMS.
Our previous Peugeot was a right PITA. Drop the pressure by 10 psi and it triggered the TPMS.
I was pleased to find that our Fiat didn't have it.
Fitted TyrePal instead.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you are running those pressures and it hasn't triggered the TPMS, it is very unlikely that you actually have a TPMS.
Our previous Peugeot was a right PITA. Drop the pressure by 10 psi and it triggered the TPMS.
Fitted TyrePal instead.
So if the light was on at MOT time they couldn’t fail it ?

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Fitted TyrePal instead.
Doesn’t it work on rolling road comparisons on each axle separately though? So as long as pairs of tyres the same it shouldn’t come on ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
Doesn’t it work on rolling road comparisons on each axle separately though? So as long as pairs of tyres the same it shouldn’t come on ?
I don't know how the Fiat TPMS works but our previous Peugeot was very sensitive to a reduction in pressure.
It worked via pressure sensors in each tyre and the trigger pressures could not be adjusted by the owner.
Peugeot garages could adjust it, but most refused due to liability issues.
The Fiat system may/may not be the same. Can anyone else confirm?

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC
My 2021 Fiat doesn't have TPMS.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Oh! Isn’t the Fiat vehicle considered a “passenger vehicle”?
My 2015 Hymer has the Fiat TPMS, but is was listed as a factory fit optional extra. My 2017 Honda car does not have TPMS.

I suspect "passenger vehicle" means vehicles that carry passengers for reward, i.e. buses and coaches.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back