Fiat Professional Dealer promise (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
BF195B10-9944-49AA-8CF2-03B986CC5B58.png
We ordered our New motorhome (Fiat Ducati based) in October last year and it is due to be delivered in late June. Since joining this forum, I have read numerous threads involving Fiat Ducato recalls and the problems people have had with their Fiat Professional dealer.
Like a number of Major motor manufacturers, Fiat UK operate a Professional Dealer network who have to conform to Dealer standards as set by Fiat. Above are the current standards as set out on the Fiat Website. These standards set by the manufacturer are intended to reassure any potential customer that in the event of a base unit failure, Fiat will provide you with the reassurance that your vehicle will be repaired in a timely and professional manner.
Some of the stories that I have read within this forum are absolutely disgraceful and the fact that Dealers are unable to provide parts from the main UK Fiat parts warehouse within 48 hours is pure rubbish. Besides motorhomes, the next biggest customer of Fiat Ducato base units are many ambulance services up and down the Country. Do you believe they are told to keep their vehicles off the road for weeks on end due to the possible failure of a potential recall part be it an EGR failure or some poorly designed pipe clip. I have good experience of other manufacturers who provide at least a contribution towards vehicle rental whilst your van is off the road, now this does not apply to motorhome rental however it does provide a car or a van customer with the reassurance that their is a mobility solution should their vehicle develop a fault and be off the road, it also incentives the manufacturer to get the part to the dealer quickly in order to reduce hire vehicle contributions.
My recommendation to anyone given news not to use their expensive motorhome for weeks and sometimes months due to these types of problem is complain. Complain to the Manager of the Fiat Professional Dealer, if that doesn’t work complain to Fiat customer services and if that doesn’t work complain to the Managing director of Fiat UK.
Not sure if my initial excitement is now turning to potential dread!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I'm not in the position to be affected by Fiat recalls, well none that I know of but maybe that I read your thread wrong.

'Some of the stories that I have read within this forum are absolutely disgraceful and the fact that Dealers are unable to provide parts from the main UK Fiat parts warehouse within 48 hours is pure rubbish.'

Maybe how I'm reading it but are you saying that the situations that claimed to have arisen by Funsters aren't true?

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I'm not in the position to be affected by Fiat recalls, well none that I know of but maybe that I read your thread wrong.

'Some of the stories that I have read within this forum are absolutely disgraceful and the fact that Dealers are unable to provide parts from the main UK Fiat parts warehouse within 48 hours is pure rubbish.'

Maybe how I'm reading it but are you saying that the situations that claimed to have arisen by Funsters aren't true?
The way I read it the OP is saying the dealers of those Funsters are “rubbish” and he is suggesting the Funsters should escalate their complaints.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The way I read it the OP is saying the dealers of those Funsters are “rubbish” and he is suggesting the Funsters should escalate their complaints.
That's probably right. I didn't think anyone would say the forum complaints were rubbish. Must be me and too early but thank you and I'll take that.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Think you only have to read the heading - the agreement is for business customers. Business customers will tend to get/want/pay for a better service as they lose money rather than mainly time for motorhomers.

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
We had a recall on the ignition switch within a few months of taking ownership of our new van. It was dealt with promptly and courteously by our local Fiat dealership.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
View attachment 225850 We ordered our New motorhome (Fiat Ducati based) in October last year and it is due to be delivered in late June. Since joining this forum, I have read numerous threads involving Fiat Ducato recalls and the problems people have had with their Fiat Professional dealer.
Like a number of Major motor manufacturers, Fiat UK operate a Professional Dealer network who have to conform to Dealer standards as set by Fiat. Above are the current standards as set out on the Fiat Website. These standards set by the manufacturer are intended to reassure any potential customer that in the event of a base unit failure, Fiat will provide you with the reassurance that your vehicle will be repaired in a timely and professional manner.
Some of the stories that I have read within this forum are absolutely disgraceful and the fact that Dealers are unable to provide parts from the main UK Fiat parts warehouse within 48 hours is pure rubbish. Besides motorhomes, the next biggest customer of Fiat Ducato base units are many ambulance services up and down the Country. Do you believe they are told to keep their vehicles off the road for weeks on end due to the possible failure of a potential recall part be it an EGR failure or some poorly designed pipe clip. I have good experience of other manufacturers who provide at least a contribution towards vehicle rental whilst your van is off the road, now this does not apply to motorhome rental however it does provide a car or a van customer with the reassurance that their is a mobility solution should their vehicle develop a fault and be off the road, it also incentives the manufacturer to get the part to the dealer quickly in order to reduce hire vehicle contributions.
My recommendation to anyone given news not to use their expensive motorhome for weeks and sometimes months due to these types of problem is complain. Complain to the Manager of the Fiat Professional Dealer, if that doesn’t work complain to Fiat customer services and if that doesn’t work complain to the Managing director of Fiat UK.

Lol
Now we know what they say about promises..
And.... the cheques in the post
And
I won't cu........

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
After 5 weeks without our van as it was sitting in our local Fiat dealer (not our motorhome dealer who is 70 miles away) we had had enough.

I contacted the complaints department of our dealer, and emailed the Fiat UK CEO. I had responses witin minutes and our van was returned a week later. We also received an offer of contribution towards future servicing or C & MC vouchers.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Must admit we just carried on using the MH, and in fact clip recall isn’t scheduled until June when I’m going back to dealer anyway for the annual damp check needed for warranty.

I took the view that none of the recalls were safety related, but yes, might cause breakdown and inconvenience.

I couldn’t see the fleets of emergency vehicles, builders, couriers etc throughout Europe not using their vans while they were waiting..

Accept that not everyone would be comfortable with this approach but we all have different risk tolerance thresholds.

If the recall had been something to do with braking, steering, suspension or similar failures then my decision would have been entirely different.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Our van was languishing at the dealer for so long as when they looked at the EGR valve it had already failed and caused further damage to the heat exchange pipe. This on a 6 month old van that only had 3,000 miles on the clock.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
My dealer refers me to Fiat Professional. Fiat Professional are at the mercy of Fiat. Too many links in the chain.
Much better not to buy Fiat. The most unsatisfactory base vehicle I've ever had.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Why do folk get involved with Fiat why do Fiat get involved with the MoHo purchaser
Your only legal point of connection is You and the Dealer you bought from !!

when your TV goes tits up do you run back to Tesco where you bought it or shoot over to the nearest Samsung dealer.
It is exactly the same thing the more people you involve the less likely a suitable outcome as they all start blaming each other

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The FIAT Professional dealer I used has treated me quite well. They told me that the main problem from their service workshop's POV is that A-Class MHs make access difficult, and FIAT recall fixed time allowance doesn't cover the extra hours needed to do the work on an A-Class engine. Who do we think should bear that extra cost? My view is FIAT should be less scroogy in such cases, because their parts suppliers caused the recalls in the first place, so they should seek to recover their full costs down the supply chain, not penalise their dealers. FIAT supplies the chassis cowls to order for A-Class converters so they must be fully aware of the situation.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
View attachment 225850 We ordered our New motorhome (Fiat Ducati based) in October last year and it is due to be delivered in late June. Since joining this forum, I have read numerous threads involving Fiat Ducato recalls and the problems people have had with their Fiat Professional dealer.

But you're not a Business Customer. That "promise" (for what it is or isn't in reality worth) is only for Business customers.

(I note that they don't even know that it is respect "for" not "of" the environment).

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I have not had any problems with out Fiat Professional dealer Adams Moray Southampton, they only get a recall notice against the chassis supplied on our A Class, so did not know what it was until it turned up, despite them warning me it might be a larger job then they anticipated due the the fact they did not know it was a A Class until they saw it they still did the egr pipe recall in half a day.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Any vehicle built after April 2017 will have the modified EGR Pipe. I’ve only had a clip fitted to stop movement of a hose and a faulty oil level sensor which appears to have cured itself after 6k
If you think Fiat are bad you should try Renault. The cambus wiring looms leak water and the voltage reductions cause never ending problems,every warning light on God’s earth shows engine to safe mode, air suspension fails. Absolute rubbish construction.
Only real solution new looms. Not off the shelf about 5k to fit.
Cannot wait to be shot of it!

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I think that “Customer Service Promises” are just sales blurb issued by vehicle manufacturers to encourage consumers to buy their products.

There is often no attempt to honour these statements. In my own recent experience Mercedes Benz had to be constantly hassled to replace a defective turbo on my wife’s 18 month old, 5,000 mile car. I even had a reply to my email to the CEO Germany saying it was nothing to do with him and not to trouble him with further emails. The U.K. CEO didn’t even bother with the courtesy of a reply.

The item was eventually replaced after a wait of 8 weeks.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
We have been well looked after by our local Fiat Professional dealer (HTC Theale) when we have required their help or assistance. Being a large DAF dealer, I get the sense that the fitters quite enjoy working on something different to the HGV's that they normally see.

OP
OP
Jim Schush
Nov 6, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend t7051
Apologies if anyone has mis understood my original comments. I am saying that some dealers are treating Motorhome customers in a disgraceful manner and like a second class customer. In terms of the Fiat Professional Dealer promise only being available to business customers I think that’s not relevant. If you are getting shabby treatment from your dealer you must push for the use of a courtesy vehicle and if your not getting any joy you must complain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back