Fiat offers dashboard lighting solution (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK so just back from the Fiat Pro dealer who has flashed the new software. As others have said this now means the instrument lights are on whenever you switch on the ignition.

Not over impressed with light level as I was driving back so I have just has a play around once I got home. It turns out that you can adjust the light level. Turn ignition key to first position (not full on) and press Mode button briefly and a menu will come up on the display. You can scroll up and down using the headlight up and down buttons. Choose Dimmer and up will come a display showing the light level - mine was 2 stops away from maximum so I put it onto maximum and it is now much better.

BTW if you repeat the above sequence with the lights on then you can adjust the brightness set for night time. That was the only adjustment mentioned in the handbook, but doing it without the lights on now works as well. So must have changed that in the software too.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
@gus-lopez we have a 2014 Hymer/Fiat and it does have a green lights on indicator as does our 2012 Panda that would suggest that the newer Fiats have them.
My 2005 has a green light too. As did my 1990 Talbot Express. A lot of modern cars use translucent dials and permanently light them. I've never considered lit dials as a check for headlights on - I can normally tell by looking out of the window. Even my Hymer makes the view from the windscreen glow faintly orange when I turn on the headlights :rolleyes:.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OK so just back from the Fiat Pro dealer who has flashed the new software. As others have said this now means the instrument lights are on whenever you switch on the ignition.

Not over impressed with light level as I was driving back so I have just has a play around once I got home. It turns out that you can adjust the light level. Turn ignition key to first position (not full on) and press Mode button briefly and a menu will come up on the display. You can scroll up and down using the headlight up and down buttons. Choose Dimmer and up will come a display showing the light level - mine was 2 stops away from maximum so I put it onto maximum and it is now much better.

BTW if you repeat the above sequence with the lights on then you can adjust the brightness set for night time. That was the only adjustment mentioned in the handbook, but doing it without the lights on now works as well. So must have changed that in the software too.

@peterc10 have had a look and my dimmer adjustment only changes the brightness of the rectangle trip screen, not the panel lights for the speedo etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
@peterc10 have had a look and my dimmer adjustment only changes the brightness of the rectangle trip screen, not the panel lights for the speedo etc.
I will check tomorrow but it looked to me that all of the lights in the panel got brighter. Easiest way will be to try to turn them right down and see if the light goes down to nil.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
. As did my 1990 Talbot Express. A lot of modern cars use translucent dials and permanently light them. I've never considered lit dials as a check for headlights on - I can normally tell by looking out of the window. Even my Hymer makes the view from the windscreen glow faintly orange when I turn on the headlights :rolleyes:.
Mine only has a "lights on " lit when I use the seperate "parking lights" switch . which is hardly ever.
Must admit I looked at my mates citroen yesterday & his dash lights come on with ignition but his alfa doesn't.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Mine only has a "lights on " lit when I use the seperate "parking lights" switch . which is hardly ever.
Must admit I looked at my mates citroen yesterday & his dash lights come on with ignition but his alfa doesn't.
Yep - don't think there's any standard arrangement. I suppose it depends on the design of the instrument cluster. I've seen at least one where the needles are lit all the time but the backlight only with the lighting.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Just got back from Fiat ,they have altered the dash lights so they are on all the time a very quick job less than 20 mins . It is not perfect but it's a lot better than it was probably 75% better it is now readable in most light conditions .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Checked again in the dark and you are correct. Light levels are fixed and are not bright enough for a sunny day IMHO.

We are off on a trip next week so will see how we get on . May well get back to Fiat as not a satisfactory situation.

Aug 31, 2015
Norfolk Broads
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt,
Exp
September 2015
Had the software updated at the Fiat Pro Dealer today and have mixed feelings about the results. Dials were definitely easier to read on the way home but then today was quite overcast, not sure if there will be the same degree of improvement in brighter conditions. Would have been better if the dial lighting level could be altered in the same way that it can be with the headlights switched on.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I had some of my dash lights glowing in the dark eg air bag light, temperature gauge over heat light etc. Booked it in with my local fiat professional dealer and it came back to me with the old style dash in it like in my 2008 MH. This is apparently the latest fiat modification. No where near as good looking as the dash pod that was in there.
Disappointed to be honest.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
When we get back to the UK I have to book mine in for the update. UK Fiat have said the instruments will be changed but Italy said it was just a software update. So I am in my normal state. Confused.

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
When we get back to the UK I have to book mine in for the update. UK Fiat have said the instruments will be changed but Italy said it was just a software update. So I am in my normal state. Confused.
Be interesting to see what they do to yours then???

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Depends which problem you are trying to solve. If it is the fading warning lights being on all the time then it is a new panel. If it is the lack of illumination of the dials during the day, which makes them hard to read then it is a software update. I have had both at different times.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Had mine done today. Drove 40 miles each way for such a tiny difference it does not warrant being called an improvement. A total waste of my valuable time and fuel.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Mine is on order I arrange through Fiat/Brownhills they were both great kept me informed.

Reactions: f6c
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Had mine done today. Drove 40 miles each way for such a tiny difference it does not warrant being called an improvement. A total waste of my valuable time and fuel.

Oh dear! My Carthago is booked in next week to be done.
Not expecting a huge difference from what everyone has said.

It can't be rocket science to get a speedo illuminated.........can it?

Richard.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
After mine was "done", it's not illuminated unless the lights are on? Maybe they haven't actually done anything?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Had mine done a month ago, the difference is the panel lights are now on with ignition but they are so dim there is little change.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Oh dear! My Carthago is booked in next week to be done.
Not expecting a huge difference from what everyone has said.

It can't be rocket science to get a speedo illuminated.........can it?

Richard.
@Clarky . Richard, turn your side lights on in daylight and have a look at your speedo that is the difference you will get. All they have done is set the dash to illuminate when the ignition is turned on.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Has anyone had the modification LUE2096 done to improve the lighting on the instrument cluster (speedo). Was it successful and how long did it take. Based on the previous comments is it worth it?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Has anyone had the modification LUE2096 done to improve the lighting on the instrument cluster (speedo). Was it successful and how long did it take. Based on the previous comments is it worth it?

Had mine done a few weeks ago, it took just under an hour.
The panel lights are now on all the time but they are so dim that you wouldn't be aware except in quite low light. In sunlight you wouldn't know they were on.
As far as I can see there is little practical difference.
I still have strong reflections on the LHS of the speedo which means I can hardly see the speed below 90-100kph.
I'll just keep on using the Garmin as my speedo.

In my cheap as chips Toyota the instruments are brightly lit during the day and can be clearly seen in any light conditions. Why Fiat can't manage to do the same with a chassis that is used as a base for a vehicle sometimes costing in excess of £100K is a mystery.

Richard.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Had mine done a few weeks ago, it took just under an hour.
The panel lights are now on all the time but they are so dim that you wouldn't be aware except in quite low light. In sunlight you wouldn't know they were on.
As far as I can see there is little practical difference.
I still have strong reflections on the LHS of the speedo which means I can hardly see the speed below 90-100kph.
I'll just keep on using the Garmin as my speedo.

In my cheap as chips Toyota the instruments are brightly lit during the day and can be clearly seen in any light conditions. Why Fiat can't manage to do the same with a chassis that is used as a base for a vehicle sometimes costing in excess of £100K is a mystery.

Richard.
X 2 You may as well have the fix done but expect to be disappointedv:(.

Norm

Free Member
Nov 27, 2014
Lower Froyle, Alton, Hampshire Surrey borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since March 2014
I've just collected mine from dealers where this problem was supposed to be fixed. Fiat Professional provided a software up date which took 15 minutes to apply.
The result ? All dash board illumination now comes on with the ignition rather than when head lights are switched on.
Unfortunately it makes little if any difference. I still can't read my speedo and so never know how fast I am going!!!
If you think about having it done drive your van with hedlights on in daylight and see if you think it's worth the aggro of taking it in.
We need another solution. I have written to Fiat again to tell them.
Norm

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I'm in full agreement, it was a complete waste of my time and money (travel expenses). Well done for writing to Fiat, I hope you get a good response.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back