Fiat multi media with sat Nav 2017 (1 Viewer)

Deano123

Free Member
Jan 3, 2020
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
I’m a Newbie
Hi
I am going to look at a burstner nexxo T740 2017 and it has a multi media unit with sat nav I am told.
Reading here it looks like it may be a waste of time as unable to add van dimensions and Poi.
poor navigation also....
Anyone using one or have experience ?
Recommendations for a stand alone unit please and who’s best garmin or TomTom etc.
Many Thanks
Deano

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Garmin 770 camper is good but if you have a scottish accent and want to talk to it via voice command , forget it :rofl:

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Tomtom camper for me.Has limitations in regard to poi management but otherwise excellent,especially the live traffic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Garmin 770 camper is good but if you have a scottish accent and want to talk to it via voice command , forget it :rofl:
My wife doesn't even understand me :giggler:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I haven't used the dedicated Garmin or TomTom units. I have tried a few phone apps that allow you to put in vehicle dimensions. Given that both the app companies, Garmin and TomTom all buy their mapping from the same handful of sources, I suspect they are pretty similar. With the apps at least, I found the dimensions routing to be pretty useless and mostly placebo. They will still route you down narrow country lanes and still occasionally send you along routes with width and height restrictions.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
We've just changed our MH, it has the Fiat multi media unit with built-in sat nav. The sound quality of the radio is much improved, however, the Tom Tom sat nav is rubbish, no comparison to the Garmin 770 camper which we used on the previous MH, goes without saying we will use on the new MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
It is almost beyond comprehension that Motorhome dealers/manufacturers supply vans with built in navigation which hasn’t got the capability to enter vehicle dimensions etc.These vans don’t come cheap but it seems they are clueless when it comes to these integrated sat navs which are beyond useless,especially on larger vehicles.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It is almost beyond comprehension that Motorhome dealers/manufacturers supply vans with built in navigation which hasn’t got the capability to enter vehicle dimensions etc.These vans don’t come cheap but it seems they are clueless when it comes to these integrated sat navs which are beyond useless,especially on larger vehicles.
Auto industry in general is really poor at technology. Satnavs in cars are generally several years behind what you get on your phone. After years of resistance, they are giving up and letting people use Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

But I've not found a good phone app that account for vehicle size. I work in the industry, I know that TomTom and Garmin and the app creators buy their mapping from third parties. None of those third parties have reliable information about width, height and weight restrictions in the UK (other countries are better).

Therefore, I prefer to just run Google Maps over Android Auto. I'll probably get better routing most of the time. Better traffic information. Better estimates of time of arrival. With a slight risk that I'll be told to turn into an unsuitable road, which might well have happened with a 'motorhome' satnav or 'motorhome' app anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back