Fiat - Injector System Failure - Dashboard Light (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Took the van out for a spin yesterday, Injector System Failure light came on, no sign of anything wrong. Tried the engine at various revs in all gears, suggestion of a flat spot in 4th at 2000-2500 revs, possibly. Taking the van to local independent workshop tomorrow but any ideas welcome.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
could be the injector loom is slightly too short

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I had that come on when I ran out of diesel, (faulty gauge) could you have had air or other pass through the system long or short enough to trip the sensors...?

I know yours is still running, does it go off when you shut down or is it still there when you turn on again..?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Mine started doing the same about 10 days ago when coming out of Austria after filling up with fuel. Burnt up all the fuel to the point where I was on reserve. Filled up in Luxembourg with the Shell advanced Diesel. Went off when I got to Calais. Never noticed any change in performance when light was on.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Could be as simple as a little water in the fuel.. Had that happen on a past van and all cleared when i re-filled and did a few miles.
For less than £10 a OBD2 reader is a useful tool to keep in the van, lots on ebay. Free apps for your phone / tablet will give fault codes. A small fee for a paid app allows some codes to be reset / cleared.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all the replies, I did think it was something minor. The mechanic should be able to let me know more tomorrow, I'll keep everyone posted. I haven't let the fuel run low, still showing about 8 gallons, though the last fill was at a supermarket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Mechanic has had a look and identified three things that could be amiss. Throttle body, wiring loom or pedal. Needs to have it in for longer to find out but as we are away on Friday (Ayrshire Real Ale Festival in Troon) he can't have it for a while. If it is dodgy fuel then doing a few hundred miles may help clear it.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
That was my fear when it happened, the thought of going to a mechanic and having some questionable diagnosis made. He may be right but as I said I just used up all my fuel and got it into the reserve (something I always avoid) and then filled up with the more expensive Shell diesel. I'm convinced that's done the trick. Has there been any noticeable change in performance?

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Update. I filled up and have done some 200 miles since. Arrived at Moffat campsite today and after checking in restarted the engine and the light went out. The performance had changed slightly, a bit of a flat spot at 2300 revs. Heading home tomorrow, about 100 miles so I can check the performance again, if the light doesn't come on. Beginning to think it may be a poor fill of diesel.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
if its fly by wire throttle, could be sensors on the pedal. wd 40 could be your friend! ditto throttle body (so I'm told) I've just reset mine and going to give it a good blast at the weekend. Will let you know.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Update, drove home yesterday and tried the engine through the rev range in 4th, 5th and 6th gears. Flat spot gone and light stayed out. Now leaning towards dodgy fuel at a Tesco in Perth last month.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Just an update, my light came back on. Booked it in to my garage and as I was leaving it went off again. They still managed to find error codes. Removed them all and then test drove it. Spent about 90 minutes with it and concluded that theres nothing wrong with the vehicle. Apparently it had something to do with exhaust emissions, mechanic told me a lot of short journeys or stop start travelling may have caused it. Told him it came on as I was climbing and descending a lot as I was travelling through Austria, he believed that probably caused it. Hope yours is still ok. Charged £48 and if its ok now i'm happy with that.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
update. error code kept showing throttle body.
Despite resetting a couple of times and no apparent loss of performance I decided to bite the bullet and get the throttle body renewed as the van was in for mot and new alternator (combined OUCH):( Engine definitely feels more responsive and pulls away more smoothly, also showing about 3-4 extra mpg so am hoping it was all worth while. after talking to people who know much more than me about these things it was apparent that although it didn't seem to be causing problems, it was only a matter of time.
Thanks to all that advised on this thread and others.
C

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
update. error code kept showing throttle body.
Despite resetting a couple of times and no apparent loss of performance I decided to bite the bullet and get the throttle body renewed as the van was in for mot and new alternator (combined OUCH):( Engine definitely feels more responsive and pulls away more smoothly, also showing about 3-4 extra mpg so am hoping it was all worth while. after talking to people who know much more than me about these things it was apparent that although it didn't seem to be causing problems, it was only a matter of time.
Thanks to all that advised on this thread and others.
C
Glad to see its now ok. Mine has come back on again but again no change in performance. How much do you reckon they charged for the throttle body? Also whats the mileage on your vehicle, mine has only done about 24k and that's one of the reasons why the mechanic feels its not an actual mechanical problem in need of repair.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Glad to see its now ok. Mine has come back on again but again no change in performance. How much do you reckon they charged for the throttle body? Also whats the mileage on your vehicle, mine has only done about 24k and that's one of the reasons why the mechanic feels its not an actual mechanical problem in need of repair.
the new throttle body and wiring adaptor is about £200 on ebay

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
the throttle body and wiring was a tad over £300 + fitting. my van has done just over 40k . apparently it is a common problem on ducato's 05-08. after a while the moisture and crud rots the butterfly and then the problems really start!
BTW the same part from Fiat is £450 plus £150 for the wiring which basically just an adaptor as the new body has a 5 pin connector as opposed to a 4 pin.
( I know ebay is cheaper but there are different models and I wouldn't know one from another!!)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the peirberg one is the modified replacement and needs the wiring adaptor. just the adaptor is £40 on ebay

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Finally had the van serviced, MOT'd, and a new EGR fitted. Ready for the rest of the year, took the van for a spin and performance back to normal.

Jan 5, 2018
York
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 664,2014
Exp
2016 uk various sites and one month Holland, 2017 uk and 3 months France
On another problem involving dashboard lights,I have a 2014 Fiat Ducati 130 and the battery went flat during storage. It is stored at a Volvo garage and they jump started it with a booster pack. No noticeable problem when I took it for service and MoT.
Serviced ok and MoT issue no notices.
I took the van for a trip to the Lake District for 3 days doing about 350 miles round trip with no noticeable problem.
With the invoice for the service MoT which I received upon returning home,there was a note to advise about dashboard problem.
I phoned them and was informed that the dashboard light had dimmed when moving the van and that they had previous similar problem with a Fiat Ducati after it had been jump started. All of the instruments are working but I can’t recollect how bright they should be. I can read them ok in daylight and and at night.
Is this something that could develope overtime to a complete failure of the instruments and should I get it sorted at Fiat Dealer
The garage for service etc was not a Fiat dealer although recommended by Motorhome mag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back