Fiat Extended Warranty (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I have posted the following on another thread earlier today in response to previous postings, but thought it may be of more general interest...…. so re-posting as a new thread...…..

Telephoned Fiat Pro in Italy. Helpful English speaking Lady needed to know details from my V5 DVLA Registration Document...… but this had not as then arrived. She asked for the VIN number (which I had) to check her records and said it was too late as the van had been shipped from the factory in October last year. (Very interesting!!!) I explained that this was a PVC "camper" conversion by Globecar in Germany, which I had only taken delivery of 4 days earlier. No problem she said...… but I would need to arrange the extended warranty through a UK Fiat Professional Dealership. She gave me the telephone numbers of several reasonably local contacts, but warned me that not all of the "Professional" dealerships in the UK would be willing to sell me an extended warranty, preferring to sell their own insurance-based alternatives as these were more profitable for the Dealer. She went on to say that Fiat could not enforce a requirement that their appointed "Professional Dealers" must sell Fiat Warranty extensions!!!!!!!

I telephoned several Pro Dealerships and all but one said they would not sell the Fiat Extended Warranty but could sell me an alternative. One said they could, but this would be for a Ducato Van extension of 2 years starting after year 3, as the vans are sold with a 3-year warranty...… the first 2 from Fiat, the 3rd year from the Dealer. Interestingly, Camper/MoHo Fiat based vehicles only have 2 years warranty from new.

I went back to SMC who had supplied my new Campscout and spoke with the very helpful Service Manager. He said that he would look into this and I reminded him that I understood this extension for purchasing cover for years 3, 4 and 5 was only available within 15 days of first registration. He came back to me later the same day to say he had been in touch with Fiat and now had on-line access to set-up the extended warranty. (Apparently this was the first time he had done this.) After taking my Credit Card details (for £866.66 incl VAT), he was able to register my new MoHo under the "Maximum Care Camper Warranty" and has since sent me the Certificate to prove it. This provides the same pan-Europe cover for years 3-5 as set out in the documentation provided by Fiat with the new vehicle for years 1 and 2, within a total 60,000 mileage limit.

Rather tortuous - but hopefully all is well that ends well and I now have some peace of mind for the next 5 years.

Hope this account of my experience may be helpful to anyone else buying a new Fiat based MoHo and seeking to extend the warranty.

Steve+Maggie

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
SOUTHPORT
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years off and on
I am having exactly the same problem with a Fit based Motorhome bought in March!
Seem to be going round in circles trying to extend. I am obviously well over the 15 day period, but getting no joy or even answers from Fiat Professional Dealers.
I am going to copy your thread to the Supplying Dealer who are looking into it - but I haven't heard anything for 4 weeks?? In my mind this should be quite clearly offered at time of purchase.
Nice to know I am not the only one!

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Steve+Maggie ……… Good luck, but I think you may be unsuccessful as you are now well outside the 15-day limit. You my have more chance of sorting this out by telephoning Fiat in Italy on the international freephone support number (from a landline, chargeable call with most/all mobile phone service providers).

Jim ……. is it worth setting up a database of new Fiat-based MoHo Dealers who are willing/able to offer this extended warranty? SMC obviously do and I understand Brownhills are also able to set this up. An extensive list may encourage other Dealers to offer a warranty extension.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I did mine through fiat professional in Mackworth Derby spoke to a guy called Paul Chambers very helpfull all sorted in the same day 3 years extra cover so 5 in total now for about £860

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We tried 3 fiat dealers not one of them knew anything about it . Had to ring fiat italy and they rang one of the dealers back and told them they have to it .
Bottom line is fiat dealers make nothing on it so they don’t want to do it.
I was also told you have 14 days to take it out from the first day of registration

Steve+Maggie

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
SOUTHPORT
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years off and on
Thanks for the responses!
I am well outside the 14 days but it should be offered at the time that you buy the Motorhome - will have to see what happens? It is ridiculous that you have such a short period to sign up - usually these are offered at the end of the standard 2/3 year warranty and it is being pushed by Fiat Professional on their website as we speak!
Anyway I like a challenge so watch this space...

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I went back to SMC who had supplied my new Campscout and spoke with the very helpful Service Manager.

It's good to hear that some dealerships are starting to evolve a bit. I tried to obtain the extended warranty via SMC a few months ago and was fobbed off with them saying that they didn't know what to do.

I initiated the warranty enquiry at the order point but I made no further progress in the 4-months that followed.

Good news for you though and a big well done on your persistence and determination.

All the best,

Andrew

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Camper UK who are Fiat Prof. dealers did mine without fuss, although I had to ask.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Imperial Commercials in Wrexham just did mine in the last couple of weeks. It was done willingly without any hassle. They’ve just re-branded to ‘Motus’. There’s a few of them around the country, so worth a try.

I also enquires with Travelworld as they are a Fiat Professional dealer. It seemed easy enough for them to do as well and they seemed happy to do it, even though I’d bought a Carthago and they are not Carthago dealers.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Are you sure there’s a 15 day limit?. I purchased mine 3 years ago about 3 months after I bought it

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
There seems to be 2 different options if you have a Fiat Ducato commercial vehicle you can update the warranty at any time during the 3 year warranty period, (upgrade to max 5 years) but if it’s a Fiat Ducato based motorhome you need to upgrade it within 15days of it being first registered also the Motorhomes come with a 2 year warranty not 3 year
It doesn’t make sense to me Why if most Motorhomes do less mileage than work vans they don’t carry the same warranty period or upgrades.
I’m waiting to hear back from Fiat Professional on Monday as they weren’t sure what the options were for Motorhomes.
Picking up new Fiat based Burstner on the 26th July.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I took out 3 year Extended Fiat Warranty in June 2017, But, had to be done within 15 days as advised by Fiat Customers services.
Simpsons of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk done it with no problem , only took it out as I don't trust the Comfortmatic gearbox.

Jun 19, 2018
Perth Scotland
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
If you are anywhere near Autoservices Perth they will be happy to deal with your Fiat Warranty extension contact number is 01738 210000.

Steve+Maggie

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
SOUTHPORT
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years off and on
Just by way of an update....
Visited South Liverpool Commercials and met Chris Hughes (thank you Nosmo King) who was really helpful. He got the details of our Motorhome up on the Fiat System - interestingly it was still registered to Trigano (its a Rollerteam) and was delivered to them in September 2018. He sorted that all out and it is know registered in our name on the Fiat System. As soon as he tried to input the extended warranty "Computer said No" as it is outside the 15 day period as it was registered to DVLA and us in March. Chris was really helpful and suggested I called Fiat in Italy to see what they could do.
By chance I was in Derby today and called in at Imperial Commercials in Mackworth and spoke to Paul Chambers, again a recommendation in the thread from Lanerboy. He knows who may be able to help so E Mailed them immediately for me, but they are on holiday until next week. I guess he sorted out a similar request previously - maybe for Lanerboy - but cant be sure.
Both of these guys were extremely helpful and surprised that the supplying Motorhome Dealers don't seem to always mention this option at time of purchase, especially when you are in the mode of spending a not inconsiderate amount of dosh! Really impressed by the interest they both took, as I guess there is nothing in it really for them?
Will keep you posted - as I said I like a challenge!!!

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Here is a price list from the dealer I’m using, I won’t name them as he also gave me the price the dealer gets ??
DF83656F-80F5-4468-A767-255CE51F9E29.png

Steve+Maggie

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
SOUTHPORT
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years off and on
Paul Chambers at Imperial Commercials, Paul Chambers | VW Salesman | MOTUS Commercials | T: 01332 824371 | M: 07774 474162
Has come up with the goods! As promised he came back to me yesterday morning and I have taken out the additional 3 years warranty, exactly the same as I should have been offered when I bought the Motorhome. Price as per Newfie's post so there is some Profit in it for them.
Great Customer Service from Paul at Imperial.
Thanks again to the Forum, brilliant advice, as always!

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Ok finally got the extended 2 to 5 year warranty, I did ask why we can’t get the same deal that commercial vehicles get as below, no explanation as to why

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ok finally got the extended 2 to 5 year warranty, I did ask why we can’t get the same deal that commercial vehicles get as below, no explanation as to why

The 5 year UK warranty is arranged and offered by the UK importer of Fiat Professional vehicles, which is a separate company to the vehicle manufacturer in Italy.

The Motorhome extended warranty is offered by Fiat in Italy for resale by dealers and MH converters who subscribe to the scheme via registration on a dedicated section of the manufacturer's technical information portal.

Franchised Fiat dealers, Fiat UK (the authorised importer and distributor) and FCA in Italy (the manufacturer) are all separate entities linked by commercial agreements.

The UK dealer network will be under contract to support any warranties or other arrangements offered by the manufacturer, but if Fiat UK decide to introduce a more extensive warranty for vehicles imported and sold by them in the UK (which excludes the majority of MHs) it does not create an obligation for the global manufacturer to follow suit.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Extended warranty sorted!

Many thanks to Steve+Maggie for the contact Paul Chambers.

Due to DVLA issuing a backdated V5 on 20th July dates from 1st June the warranty application wouldn't process.

DVLA thankfuly now re-registered to 16th July and Paul has spoken with Fiat who have agreed to issue the additional 3 year warranty @ £800+ as per previous posts.

Feeling relieved and a tad more comfortable in case of future major issues.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Here is a price list from the dealer I’m using, I won’t name them as he also gave me the price the dealer gets ??View attachment 319007
Interesting that the last year works out a lot dearer than the previous 2 years' extension, in 'theory' it should be £769 but is actually nearly £100 more at £866:

1 year: £253
2 years: £516
3 years: £769 but the cost is actually £866

So is it worth extending it for the full 3 years, or just 2????? :unsure:

Do they know something we don't! :oops:

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Sorry just read this, can anyone tell me if this would relate to a new Swift Ducato based van, I quite like the idea of an extended warranty, is this done from brand new and is it the motorhome dealer you go to or a Fiat garage? Thanks

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
I guess As things get older there is more chance for a failure so the price goes up.
Bit like any insurance ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Chelston Motorhomes at Wellington did my extended warranty at handover. They are also a Fiat Professional Garage, without which I believe it has to be done separately.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
You have 15days from when the van is first registered to extend the warranty

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you probably dont get the commercial level of warranty because the convertors have bought at reduced price with the shorter warranty which keeps the price down in the showroom

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Deneb at #22 above explained that the warranties are with different companies so I don’t find it surprising that there are differences. Different markets with different strategies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back