Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We have sold our Fiat Swift Bolero (3300KG), with a remapped 130 bhp engine, and will soon be taking delivery of a A/S Broadway withPeugeot 2.2 130 bhp, (3500KG), which I understand has a Ford derived engine, apart from the chain driven cam, are there any real differences between the two engines as far as performance and economy goes.?

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I got a 150 bhp ford Duratec in my Peugeot... unmapped.... oh boy, does it go, overtaking cars on looooong motorway climbs in Spain! I get according to the average MPH computer 31mpg. Unladen mine rates at 3200kg

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The engine in the A/S is likely to be the venerable Ford Puma 2.2 unless they are now putting the Ford / Peugeot P.S.A. 2.2 lump in.

Our MH has the Puma in 130 bhp guise & we are averaging 30 m.p.g. brim to brim, & will expect more once the engine has loosened up more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
They are both good engines. Its the ford injectors that are crap, I had all 4 changed on my last transit as they went noisy at 12000 miles. They were done under the warranty but 12000 miles is ridiculous. Its common for the injectors to fail.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've done 21,000 miles in our 2014 Broadway with the 2.2 engine, it's never missed a beat but the fuel consumption has been between 25 -28 mpg by the onboard display and they reckon that true mpg is less.

John.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
They are both good engines. Its the ford injectors that are crap, I had all 4 changed on my last transit as they went noisy at 12000 miles. They were done under the warranty but 12000 miles is ridiculous. Its common for the injectors to fail.
no its not a common fault,its common that a dealer will tell you they need changing but all they need is an injector learn done through through the OBD port with IDS,done it lots of times my transit mk7 2500 115 ps has over 200.000 miles on it on the same injectors,because the suction control valve goes out of sync and will need a relearn now and again.
when doing a relearn it has to be done in this order injector pilot learn,injector learn,suction control valve learn,the pilot learn will get rid of the injector rattle.a dealer will normaly charge about £125 x vat for a relearn but i have my own IDS software so do my own.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its not a new van, there was a recall a while back after several engines seized I believe. make sure the update has been done before purchase

the problem was overfueling causing fuel to burn through the pistons

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no its not a common fault,its common that a dealer will tell you they need changing but all they need is an injector learn done through through the OBD port with IDS,done it lots of times my transit mk7 2500 115 ps has over 200.000 miles on it on the same injectors,because the suction control valve goes out of sync and will need a relearn now and again.
when doing a relearn it has to be done in this order injector pilot learn,injector learn,suction control valve learn,the pilot learn will get rid of the injector rattle.a dealer will normaly charge about £125 x vat for a relearn but i have my own IDS software so do my own.
of course, the ford technicians could figure out WHY they get out of sync and correct the problem....but that wouldn't be in their best interest would it at 125 quid a pop

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
The A/S we are buying is a 2015 model and has only done 1500 miles, we are getting it from Simpsons of Gt Yarmouth, so I will get them to check if any recalls were issued and attended to.
I will also have this engine remapped at some point, I was very pleased with the results on the Bolero, but may wait until a few more miles are travelled to get a before and after comparison.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Sorry but it is common. On mine they cganges 2 injectors first as Ford would only authorize 2 to be changes, The fault improved 50%. The Ford dealer then told me they that Ford wouldn't replace the other 2 until their technicion had been to see and test drive the vehicle. He came and authorized the 2 injectors straight away. I know loads of people who were told the injectors needed re-coding to find they didnt and required new injectors to put them right.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
if its not a new van, there was a recall a while back after several engines seized I believe. make sure the update has been done before purchase

the problem was overfueling causing fuel to burn through the pistons

This software update was applied as part of Ford / Peugeot dealer service, those who didn't have their services by a Ford / Peugeot dealer missed out on the update, same applied to Citroen Relay badged Sevel clones

Incidentally the injectors were made by Delphi, not Ford & the issue was resolved by the aforementioned software update.

A while back a Funster had a horrendous bill for a new engine on a Citroen Relay I believe, because their servicing wasn't done by a main dealer. :(

Last edited:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I have no reason to doubt anyone, however my old Mondeo ST TDCi with the same engine covered 50k from nearly new with no issues before I sold it, it was always serviced by Ford.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back