Fiat Ductao 1996 Gear change (1 Viewer)

vanda

Free Member
Jan 27, 2009
Currently UK based
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
This may sound silly, but when should you change gear on these vehicles? We have just got a Hymer motorhome and the Fiat 2.5Td engine seems fine, except when we push up hills the enngine starts 'missing' and we have to change gear. Is there a governor on the gear ratios? We have read all about the 5th gear problems with these gear problems, but no-one has mentioned this!

Thanks from newbees!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Vanda and welcome to the FUN....

you should keep the revs above around 2000rpm minimum by changing down sooner.
the turbo kicks in at around this rev range so will produce more power.

staying in too high a gear for the road conditions is both inefficient and damaging for the engine.

the 'missing' is actually the engine labouring and bouncing about on the engine mounts at too low revs.

there have been times on motorway gradiants that i've had to drop to third gear to make headway with revs at maybe 4000rpm.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Dont let the revs drop too much on an incline, keep the engine, "on the boil", but, never scream the engine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V

vanda

Free Member
Jan 27, 2009
Currently UK based
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Fiat 2.5TD gear change

Thanks for the replies, but the problem is when I go up through the gears not down. Ie when going up hill in 2nd or third it seems to 'miss' as if it wants me to go UP a gear. Does that make sense? Someone said there is a governor which cuts in to stop you exceeding the recommended revs in a particular gear...is this true?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the replies, but the problem is when I go up through the gears not down. Ie when going up hill in 2nd or third it seems to 'miss' as if it wants me to go UP a gear. Does that make sense? Someone said there is a governor which cuts in to stop you exceeding the recommended revs in a particular gear...is this true?

yes, there is a governor/rev limiter but its not related to individual gears....only engine revs and, yes, it will appear to 'misfire'

if you are running on the governer you are in the wrong (too low) gear and need to change up to the next gear, quick.

on long uphill gradiants expect to go up and down third, fourth and fifth gears like theres no tommorow but dont rev it to the limit in any gear.

running on the governer will cause excessive engine wear/damage and increased fuel consumption.

better to use the rev counter and keep between 2000rpm and 4000rpm.
you should be doing around 70mph in 5th at 3000rpm on a flat road.

anything under 2000rpm and the turbo isnt doing its job so not producing full power.
anything over 4000rpm and the engine torque is dropping off rapidly so not producing the full power.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does that make sense? Someone said there is a governor which cuts in to stop you exceeding the recommended revs in a particular gear...is this true?

Are you new to diesels ? They are quite low revving. It's rare to go over 4000 rpm. I work the band 2000 to 3000. 3000 being a bit under 70.

I know it does not answer your question, but it might help us to get to know you. Anyone used to petrol will rev their nuts off not knowing any difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back