Fiat Ducato won’t start after starting in gear (1 Viewer)

trevrun

Free Member
Feb 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
2007 Fiat Ducato
About 20 min ago I went to start my 2007 Fiat Ducato Camper and quickly found that my son had moved the clutch into first gear while parked. The engine turned as usual and immediately turned off due to the E brake on. This has happened before with no follow on issues. However, on the next attempt the only feedback I got was a single clicking sound and no engine turnover whatsoever. The battery is still fully charged as I am in the middle of a trip. Any feedback or recommendations? Thanks in advance, Trevor.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Earth straps are pretty poor on that age. Use a Good jumper cable from negative post to engine block and see if ignition now works and starter turns.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I really can't see the logic in that....
Normal start and the starter turns the flywheel and the engine.
Bump start and the road wheels and gearbox turns the flywheel and the engine.
Other than one method needs electric and the other doesn't there's no difference.
Neither did I ....made no sense to me but it made me think about bump starting after speaking to him. He said he comes across it often.
A few years back he started a engine up and I swore it was big ends gone. Ten mins later he tuned in a injector and all was well 👍 put it all down to progress 😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Neither did I ....made no sense to me but it made me think about bump starting after speaking to him. He said he comes across it often.
A few years back he started a engine up and I swore it was big ends gone. Ten mins later he tuned in a injector and all was well 👍 put it all down to progress 😁
Yes, it is a common problem

New Common rail ci engines are using such high pressure injectors now that they are prone to shearing their hold down bolts and the injectors coming out of the cylinder head, I've come across a hand full of VW's so far with this issue

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
solenoid stuck ? Hit starter with a hammer or bar on the casing
Had an old BMW that had a sticking solenoid I kept a lead hammer in the boot, I showed my wife where to use it. It also got her a bit of respect from the guys wheee she worked in that here was a women who knew how to fix a sticking starter motor 👍 mind you she broke in to (her) fiesta with a coat hanger when she locked her keys in it so total respect (not sure how she learnt that skill) 🤔

Upvote 0

RobL

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Minchinhampton
Funster No
MH
American rv purchasing.
Exp
Since 2008
We are talking crappy Fiat. Always amazes me how such a small mistake can cause so many problems on these useless vehicles.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Do you have breakdown cover? I'd guess most breakdown guys would sort this out v.quickly.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
5 free posts and not been seen since :unsure:

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Funny how the free posters are just ??? Unfortunately quite often posts drift off track, here we have someone in need of help and has to Wade through drivel from ####### when looking for a solution.

Try putting the headlights on get someone to try to start the engine, if the headlights don’t dim no circuit to the starter coil so solenoid not engaging. again a sharp tap may clear it.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Funny how the free posters are just ??? Unfortunately quite often posts drift off track, here we have someone in need of help and has to Wade through drivel from ####### when looking for a solution.

Try putting the headlights on get someone to try to start the engine, if the headlights don’t dim no circuit to the starter coil so solenoid not engaging. again a sharp tap may clear it.
Hopefully it’s been sorted since February. ;) :LOL:

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hopefully it’s been sorted since February. ;) :LOL:

True, the OP only stayed on for a day but answering his problem with possible solutions might help others.
My 2001 Ducato is a bit 'wierd'.
I disconnect the earth lead on my engine battery if I'm not using the van for a while. The van won't start but turn the ignition key and everything but the starter works! Even the electric step. :doh:

Upvote 0

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Perhaps he's going through all the other threads and forgotten his original post 😉

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back