goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We left our home in Port Grimaud on 27th march heading for our 2 month stay in spain ( destination Tarragona) our first stop was an overnight at Palavas les flots. Next morning heading down the A9 we had just left the last peage and started the climb up to the spanish border when there was a loud bang from the front end of the van, fortuantely we were only a couple of hundred meteres away from a layby with an sos box. We were collected from the layby by a breakdown truck driven by william who took us to his garage compound. Being saturday nobody was working so provided us with lecce and water, on monday we find the problem is seized wheel bearings ( changed last september by a garage where we live who we will be talking to when we get home). The story continues the bearings were ordered but when they started to change them they found the housing was damaged and needed to be replaced so this was ordered at Fiat in Perpignan and we were told there would be a weeks wait up until now we we had spent 2 nights in a hotel in in Ceret a beautiful little town near le boulou just off the A 9 ( definitley worth the visit) and 2 nights in Perpignan ( ok but not our cup of tea). So we moved back to the van in the garage compound awaiting the parts. William who has been amazing in helping us has tried to hurry fiat on delivery only to be told last friday the part is discontinued!!!! Well after the intial shock we tried fiat in england and were told the same thing. Plan B we tried breakers yards in england and have sourced the parts which at this moment are sitting in a dhl compound in Lyon hopefully to be delivered tomorrow. This after 4 weeks would seem to be a moan but in fact we have quite enjoyed this area and met some really nice people and would reccomend Ceret for a visit as it is a beautiful place. Hopefully we will be on our way by tomorrow evening on our way to park plya bara near Tarragona if not it is off to Ceret saturday market to see the lady on the english book stall and another weekend in our own private campsite.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I agree Cepet is a very nice little town. Used to be a village , where I nicked a few Corns to go on the BBQ, lol !
You're quite lucky that parts were found in the end, and I'm happy for you that you can go on with your trip. At least you now know a bit more about Languedoc Roussillon Region.... South West is a little gem!

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Discontinued? That is a little disconcerting, may I ask the year / how old the base vehicle is?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune there.

OP
OP
goldenline

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Very true Frankie we would not have stopped here normally but pleased we did and plan to return on our way home at the end of may for the cherry festival. Now figers crosed parts are the correct ones
Amicalements Janice et Alan

OP
OP
goldenline

goldenline

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
Port Grimaud France
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Discontinued? That is a little disconcerting, may I ask the year / how old the base vehicle is?

Sorry to hear of your misfortune there.[/QUOTE
The base vehicle is a hymer c644 on a fiat ducato chassis and is a 1999 model and obviosly were a bit suprised the part was discontinued

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Sorry to hear of your woes. It is good to be resourceful and make the most of an awkward time. I bet a lot of folks would like to know the age and mileage of your Ducato ( including me ).

In the past I've ruined loads of wheel bearings on cars, motorcycles and a trailer by over enthusiastic pressure washing! I've stopped doing that but it's left me with a very keen ear for a bearing in pain!

Good luck, hope you are on your way soon.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the context, I wonder how long Fiat run spares before they discontinue them?

We are based on a 2006 Ducato, so not too far away from you.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Fingers crossed you get the right ones supplied. When my back brake discs needing replacing I did not have enough French to do more than point at my back wheel and make squeaking noises accompanied by me pressing a pretend brake in front of me. Clearly, that's the universal language for "Front Brakes". Luckily, the swapped them after a couple of hours and even swapped the pads as well 2 hours after that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes that is the one problem I have found with Fiat that everything remains on the system & it iis not until an order is place by the dealer that they are then told " no longer in production " !!
I had it with rear spring hanger bushes fora 1990 ducato.
I eventually got a better part , being made to order in polyurethane. by this company.

Mikes Talbot partsc/o No 1 Gear

Link Removed
He can normally track anything down if not in stock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back