Fiat Ducato Waning Light - any ideas? (1 Viewer)

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We have a 2017 Fiat Ducato based PVC. Had the yellow triangular warning light with exclamation mark come up a few times last winter.

Went into Fiat workshop who said there were no faults recorded and couldn't find any issue. All been fine since but has come on again twice very recently. The van drives fine and once after a short stop the light goes out and all is ok.

The warning light seems to indicate several possible issues but none seem to apply. Will speak to Fiat again on Monday. Just wondered if anyone else had had a similar situation.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Could be that well known problem of the faulty dash panel lights? Lots of us have had the dash display replaced or repaired.(y)

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Could be that well known problem of the faulty dash panel lights? Lots of us have had the dash display replaced or repaired.(y)

Thanks for the suggestion but faulty dash panel has already been replaced and the light isn't always on just occasionally.

Heres a photo of the warning light in question:

IMG_4459.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We get this when a door is not fully closed so could be a faulty door sensor.

It seems to be such a random occurrence I was wondering if it might be a faulty sensor of some kind. Didn't realise that light showed door not fully closed though, thats useful thanks. It seems to indicate so many potential problems which is not particularly helpful.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt that will throw any fault code, it just indicates something isn't as it should be.
A safety issue will be a red triangle
The same light came on on my car dash a while ago along with a single chime...
When I scrolled through the dash info screen it was nothing more than "windscreen Washer fluid low" .

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I doubt that will throw any fault code, it just indicates something isn't as it should be.
A safety issue will be a red triangle
The same light came on on my car dash a while ago along with a single chime...
When I scrolled through the dash info screen it was nothing more than "windscreen Washer fluid low" .
It would be useful if you could do something similar on the Fiat but you can't unfortunately.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Fuel level looks very low, could it be related to that?

Thanks but thats not it.

Also happened the other day after I had refuelled. We drove for about 30 miles with the light on. Stopped to check in to the campsite and when we restarted the engine to drive to our pitch the light went off and hasn't come back on.....yet.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It would be useful if you could do something similar on the Fiat but you can't unfortunately.
But its a starting point..... Washer fluid, radiator level, power steering fluid, clutch fluid etc.
Costs nothing but a few minutes to manually check.
Engine, brakes and transmission will have dedicated lights so doubtful its anything like that.
It's a general notification light for something which needs attention, checking.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
But its a starting point..... Washer fluid, radiator level, power steering fluid, clutch fluid etc.
Costs nothing but a few minutes to manually check.
Engine, brakes and transmission will have dedicated lights so doubtful its anything like that.
It's a general notification light for something which needs attention, checking.
True but if Fiat dealer can’t diagnose it not much hope for me.

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Our Fiat users that warning light for minor items like a blown bulb. It tells us when we start the engine what the fault is

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
True but if Fiat dealer can’t diagnose it not much hope for me.
It's my experience if it can't be found using a diagnostic computer a dealer technician couldn't find his own arse in his trousers.
The computer tells them what's broken then they fit a new one, they have no idea how to repair an item.
Take the computer off them they become padding to keep their overalls off the floor.
An old fashioned back street garage dirty hands mechanic would have no trouble.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks but thats not it.

Also happened the other day after I had refuelled. We drove for about 30 miles with the light on. Stopped to check in to the campsite and when we restarted the engine to drive to our pitch the light went off and hasn't come back on.....yet.

The problem with the orange triangle is that it covers a whole load of niff-naff issues on the motorhome; that is, until you get to the final set of issues - the fuel pressure.

I think you have an issue with the fuel pressure sensor or the fuel delivery system. It only activates an orange triangle and therefore does not register as a fault in the ECU so cannot be interrogated by the tech-folk.

Cheers,

Andrew

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
9F62E054-03EF-4D98-8BA6-569AC8B87583.jpeg
That’s very helpful. Thanks Andrew. I will discuss this with Fiat next week. I see that is one of the (many) possibilities listed in the handbook.

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
We have a 2017 van as well and had the same light come on a couple of times then go out later, no other effects were spotted as I checked ,so it was ignored as I thought it was the radio that was misbehaving. It is an aftermarket Sony radio unit installed by Halfords by the previous owner.

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
If you have seats that swivel check the pre tensioner cables and connections under the seats

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have the same problem with mine , it related to an oil sensor , been back twice , it is sometimes brought on by the systems check when the ignition is first turned on. You should wait until all the lights except oil pressure and battery are out before starting. Same with all modern engines. Too much technology!!

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
I had a similar experience about 18 months ago with my 2010 Ducato, the diagnostics didn't come up with a solution , so I was putting up with it till it was due in for annual service, one morning on a campsite I went to start the engine and nothing it was totally dead, called green flag and after doing battery checks etc he found the engine to chassis earth strap was not making proper contact , he cleaned it up and refitted it and everything was fine again and the warning light never came on again, so I assume it was the earth strap causing it
I have since had an additional earth strap fitted to be double sure

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have the same problem with mine , it related to an oil sensor , been back twice , it is sometimes brought on by the systems check when the ignition is first turned on. You should wait until all the lights except oil pressure and battery are out before starting. Same with all modern engines. Too much technology!!

That's an interesting point Martin. Can you recall the exact sensor that was malfunctioning.

Cheers

Andrew

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes this is interesting. I always wait for the various lights to go out before starting. Did you have the oil sensor replaced?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
There is a known issue with the generic warning light illuminating intermittently, possibly together with error P250A - oil sensor signal not plausible - being recorded but clearing after several key on/off cycles (intermittent fault). The light can be illuminated if the ignition key is turned on, off and on again within 5 minutes, or by starting before waiting for the instrument panel warning lights to extinguish before starting.

The check is to turn the ignition off, wait at least 5 minutes before turning the key on, wait for the instrument warning lights to extinguish and start the engine. If the lamp is no longer illuminated, and no diagnostic codes are present, no fault is considered to exist and the solution is to advise the customer to avoid turning the ignition off and on in quick succession, and to always wait for the instrument warning lights to extinguish before starting.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
There is a known issue with the generic warning light illuminating intermittently, possibly together with error P250A - oil sensor signal not plausible - being recorded but clearing after several key on/off cycles (intermittent fault). The light can be illuminated if the ignition key is turned on, off and on again within 5 minutes, or by starting before waiting for the instrument panel warning lights to extinguish before starting.

The check is to turn the ignition off, wait at least 5 minutes before turning the key on, wait for the instrument warning lights to extinguish and start the engine. If the lamp is no longer illuminated, and no diagnostic codes are present, no fault is considered to exist and the solution is to advise the customer to avoid turning the ignition off and on in quick succession, and to always wait for the instrument warning lights to extinguish before starting.
Really helpful. Will check this out. Thank you.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Would like to think it may be this but just been going through sequence of events with mine.

Keys in ignition and turn to first position
Various lights come on including amber warning triangle with explanation mark
Normally most lights go off including warning triangle but occasionally this will stay on
Start Engine. Warning light remains on and can do for a few stop starts during longish journey before eventually going out.

So issue seems to be with the start systems check, still perhaps related to Oil sensor signal. Doesn't appear to be caused by ignition being turned on and off as it shows up prior to starting vehicle (if all that make sense).

Thanks to everyone for your really helpful suggestions.

Jules

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The check is to turn the ignition off, wait at least 5 minutes before turning the key on, wait for the instrument warning lights to extinguish and start the engine. If the lamp is no longer illuminated, and no diagnostic codes are present, no fault is considered to exist and the solution is to advise the customer to avoid turning the ignition off and on in quick succession, and to always wait for the instrument warning lights to extinguish

And this is progress,?

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
On occasions when the light remains on, does it go out if you turn the ignition on/off/on rapidly several times in quick succession? If so, this is again indicative that no fault actually exists, although you would need to check for the presence of any diagnostic codes to be certain.

By ignition on, I mean energising the system but not actually starting the vehicle, i.e. ignition on is the point at which the key is turned to its first stable position and the instrument lights illuminate. So ignition on/off/on, doesn't mean you should start the engine at all, just turn the key to the first position where the instrument lights illuminate, then off and on again.

I'm not in a position to check at the moment, but I believe the warning light should illuminate when the ignition is energised (first key position) along with the other instrument cluster lamps as part of the self-check sequence, but then extinguish with the other lamps a couple of seconds later.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
And this is progress,?

I know what you mean, but it has always been good practice to wait for the ignition on self check to complete before starting. I used to be able to induce an intermittent failure to start on my 2002 Mondeo due to a fuel pressure out of range error by attempting to start it before the check had completed. Waiting for the instrument lights to clear allowed the car to start on the next try and the fault self cleared after several successive cycles.

OP
OP
juleshe

juleshe

Free Member
Jun 14, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
On occasions when the light remains on, does it go out if you turn the ignition on/off/on rapidly several times in quick succession? If so, this is again indicative that no fault actually exists, although you would need to check for the presence of any diagnostic codes to be certain.

By ignition on, I mean energising the system but not actually starting the vehicle, i.e. ignition on is the point at which the key is turned to its first stable position and the instrument lights illuminate. So ignition on/off/on, doesn't mean you should start the engine at all, just turn the key to the first position where the instrument lights illuminate, then off and on again.

I'm not in a position to check at the moment, but I believe the warning light should illuminate when the ignition is energised (first key position) along with the other instrument cluster lamps as part of the self-check sequence, but then extinguish with the other lamps a couple of seconds later.

Oh I see. Will definitely check that next time it happens. You are correct with you last paragraph. Am thinking I will check these things out before or if I go back to Fiat.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's my experience if it can't be found using a diagnostic computer a dealer technician couldn't find his own arse in his trousers.
The computer tells them what's broken then they fit a new one, they have no idea how to repair an item.
Take the computer off them they become padding to keep their overalls off the floor.
An old fashioned back street garage dirty hands mechanic would have no trouble.
Couldn't agree more @pappajohn . My rad fan kept running then burned out. The dashboard temp gauge always showed 'Normal'. In 4 subsequent visits to the main dealer and diagnostics they replaced the fan motor unit, fan control module, MAFF and two other sensors, thermostat and a couple of other bits all to no avail. Cost: £780. They said all that was left to do was to replace the ECU at (I think they said) around a grand but even that wasn't certain to cure the problem.
I mentioned it when I dropped in for a chat and a (greasy) coffee with a scruffy old pal who has had a grotty lock-up on a pig farm for 25 years. He opened the bonnet and whilst leaning on the slam panel pondering noticed that one side of the rad was much hotter than the other. "Muck in the rad" he said. He flushed no end of sludge out of the rad and it has been perfect ever since. I had a job to get him to take a tenner for a drink.
It seems that the fan control sensor/switch was located on what was the 'hotter' side of the rad and the temp gauge sensor on the 'cooler' side, hence the dashboard gauge showed 'Normal' but the fan sensor was activated continuously on the 'hot' side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back