Fiat Ducato - Timing Belt or Chain... (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
From fiatcamper.com...

The "for life" timing chain of 100 MultiJet, 160 MultiJet Power and 180 MultiJet Power engines does not need to be replaced.
120 MultiJet, 130 MultiJet and 150 MultiJet engines have a timing belt which must be checked every 90,000 km and replaced every 180,000 km on Euro 4 engines, and checked every 96,000 km and replaced every 192,000 km on Euro 5 engines.
On 115 MultiJet engines on the other hand, the belt must be checked every 48,000 km and replaced every 144,000 km.
In all cases, the belt must be replaced every 5 years.

Poop! I thought my van had a chain :Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Poop! I thought my van had a chain :Sad:

You're in a big poop club.

I have never seen any good reason for fitting these damned rubber belts.

I expect it was some "theoretical" uni recruit that said "they taught me chain was out and belts are in so we go belt".

I had a Porsche 944 and that had to go in the night before a service so the belts were adjusted cold.

The latest most advanced Ducati ever has a chain after poor Ducati owners getting screwed with belt renewal for years.

In over 50 years driving I've never had a chain problem, I've had a belt go on a near new Golf and a near failure at the 5 year mark on the FIAT.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It wouldn't be so bad if belt failure meant simply loss of power. I'm assuming the issue is still pistons hitting valves or is it more complicated?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The cost of replacing a belt is approximately 10% - 15% of the cost of repair after failure
If you propose to take yours to the recommended Km let me know now so i can start on your estimate
G

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
The cost of replacing a belt is approximately 10% - 15% of the cost of repair after failure
If you propose to take yours to the recommended Km let me know now so i can start on your estimate
G

A man in the know - yea!

So the belt fails on the middle lane of the A1.

What happens? Please run me through the scenario

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
No need, found this... :Cool:

All the various Iveco engines fitted to the Ducato are known as interferance engines that means in the event of belt failure piston to valve contact is likely. A compression test is one way to show any damage without removing the cylinder head.

Could be worse I suppose...

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: having had a few Mercedes Sprinters 2.9s although I would say the best engine in different bhp all have had a timing chain but and there is always a but there is a small problem with the bottom sprocket at 150000m I was advised this by a Mercedes comercial mechanic who I know well not a big job £300 then good to go for another 150000m I have had all mine done I have a 316 which has done 360000m and still runs like a dream although limited to 80mph :Smile:

:ROFLMAO: in larger print for the hard of hearing :ROFLMAO:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
No need, found this... :Cool:

All the various Iveco engines fitted to the Ducato are known as interferance engines that means in the event of belt failure piston to valve contact is likely. A compression test is one way to show any damage without removing the cylinder head.

Could be worse I suppose...

It says that piston to valve contact is "likely" = pricey. Broken cam belt does equal mangled valves. Cost of belt change is very varied so shop around but above all, don't risk it.

Re: chain driven cams, my daughters Nissan had a stretched chain at 80k miles which needed a replacement. Not a damage causing failure but a common problem with Nissans

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
steve

ive just had a cam belt fitted to our motorhome and believe me they are absolutey vital they need changing every 6 years or every 72 thousand miles it cost me £400.20 but well worth it it could cost£3000k if you dont petrol it doesnt matter they have a timing chain and probably last the life time of the van if you want to sell your motorhome for any reason the first thing youll be asked is when did it last have a cambelt fitted if you dont know or it hasnt had one fitted its very unlikely youll sell your van steve:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
14 years old on my golf

You're in a big poop club.

I have never seen any good reason for fitting these damned rubber belts.

I expect it was some "theoretical" uni recruit that said "they taught me chain was out and belts are in so we go belt".

I had a Porsche 944 and that had to go in the night before a service so the belts were adjusted cold.

The latest most advanced Ducati ever has a chain after poor Ducati owners getting screwed with belt renewal for years.

In over 50 years driving I've never had a chain problem, I've had a belt go on a near new Golf and a near failure at the 5 year mark on the FIAT.

My golf GTI timing belt was replaced at 14 years old but only 60k miles.:thumb:

I wish I had as much luck on the lottery ::bigsmile::roflmto:::bigsmile::roflmto:

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Of course undertaking routine maintenance is the norm :RollEyes: and nobody here has said they wouldn't do this. My opening post gives the figures for the latest Euro V engines.

But would anyone disagree that it would be better if the Iveco engine used on the Ducato was not an interference engine? :shout:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the problem with non interference engines is you cant get the same power per litre so its a cost effective way.

the other reason with manufacturers using belts instead if chains is cost they are using millions of the things across their model ranges and if a belt costs them £2.00 and a chain £3.00 they save a lot in production plus they want you to buy a new car in a few years time so 5 years is an acceptable lifespan for a car from a manufacturers point of view so if the belt only lasts that long they don't care.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back