Fiat Ducato Sundance 1997 oil & fuel filters (1 Viewer)

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello All,

This might well have been covered before, but I'm new to this site, so please be kind, I'm sure you will be:).

Right, let's start with the van, tis a 1997 Swift Sundance on a Fiat Ducato base, being 1997 I'm sure tis a MK2 base, with a 2.5 diesel engine.

I have asked Mr Google for details of oil and fuel filter changes and not much is forthcoming. There is a youtube type video for an oil change on a MK3 base, but I'm not sure if it's the same as the MK2.

Haynes don't do a manual for the Ducato as they don't seem to do commerctial vehicles.

So, what I could do with is a bit of advice as to the location of said filters, I think the oil one is in the same place as the MK3 model, it looks straight forward to change, unless, you tell me otherwise.

The fuel filter is another "kettle of fish" Where is it? is it easy to get to, and is it done in the same way as the oil one? When I was at work, I know the lads that worked on the lorries, when they changed fuel filters, they used to fill them with fuel before fitting to save having to "bleed" the system. Is this the same on the van, or does it "self bleed"?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,

John.(y)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If ever you are looking for repairs/MOT/etc I can thoroughly recommend Bridge Street Motors in St Austell, excellent service and realistic Prices

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Hello ?,

Thanks for your quick response, but as I'm now retired and have plenty of time and little money on me hands, I'm looking to do this me self.

Kind Regard,

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ebay may supply a Ducato CD for a service manual.

Ours is 03 and the fuel filter is hidden behind huge air filter housing on the nearside. Pig of a job, first remove air filter housing, which probably needs changing.

I got good service and good price here......http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/carpartssaver?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2754

Gave the reg no and they found the right filters.

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Thank you,

I have been down the "Ebay" road only last week, I ordered three filters for the van, they turned up very quickly from Northern Ireland, only for me to find that the oil filter was the wrong one having, as they asked, I gave them the Reg of the van. I sent said filter back and asked them to send the right one,to which they refunded me money, strange. So I have a fuel filter and an air filter at "no charge" funny old World init.

I will have a look and see if I can find a "CD" re servicing the van, but I don't hold much hope as Mr Google could find nowt in the written form, but you never know.

Thanks for your help,

Kind Regards,

John.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I believe that the fuel filters on the Ducato tend to be plastic and can leak if they are under or over-tightened.

We also have a Sundance, 2007 model. Our friendly mechanic who does our servicing said they tend to order two filters, on a sale or return basis, in case the first one leaks. He suggested we leave it alone.

I also believe that there is a replacement metal unit available to change housing etc but have no further info.

I am sure someone else on the forum will be able to give more help.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I believe that the fuel filters on the Ducato tend to be plastic and can leak if they are under or over-tightened..

Only the X250. Older ones are good old fashioned steel.

But for the newer ones find a post by techno100 who shows where to buy a filter plus housing to get round the sealing problems.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Only the X250. Older ones are good old fashioned steel.

But for the newer ones find a post by techno100 who shows where to buy a filter plus housing to get round the sealing problems.
I know someone would have more info.

That's one of the great things about this forum.:cheers:

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Now, your loosing me, our van is a 1997 van, so I think is of the older "steel"type filter. I don't think we will run into the "plastic" problem.

I just need to know where the filter is located and if tis in the realms of my ability to do.

Thanks for the input,

Kind Regards,

John.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fuel filter from memory.......

Right hand side ( looking from front) very near bonnet hinge, bolted to inner wing panel or maybe the suspension strut tower.

Cant remember how it comes apart but theres a drain bung underneath with possibly a water sensor with two wires.

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Papp's, I'll have a "butchers" under the bonnet and let you all know what I find. I will point out that tis a 1997 MK 2 Ducato. The plastic problem seems to be with the later MK 3.

Kind Regards,

John.

OP
OP
G1YDQ

G1YDQ

Free Member
Oct 24, 2014
Polperro
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
since 2005
Fuel filter from memory.......

Right hand side ( looking from front) very near bonnet hinge, bolted to inner wing panel or maybe the suspension strut tower.

Cant remember how it comes apart but theres a drain bung underneath with possibly a water sensor with two wires.

Hello Again Papp's,

I have been out this afternoon and looked behind the large air filter housing and there tis, fixed to the bulkhead.

Just got to see where the oil filter is located and that's me "sorted" As I said in an earlier post, I watched a YouTube clip re changing the oil filter on a MK3 base vehicle. Now I sure tis going to be the same, but until the road dries up a bit I'm not going to lay under the van and get me self wet, and before anyone else gets it in "I'm wet enough as it is"

Thanks again,

John. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back