Fiat Ducato spare carrier (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I have one of these to fit under my van. The bit I'm confused over is the part that fits onto the wheel itself ??

It's too big to go through the centre hole or am I doing something wrong ?

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
I was under the impression there were two sizes, one for 15" and one for 16" wheels. Could be you have a 16" one for a 15" wheel. I know the PCD of the wheels are different, could be the hub location is bigger for the maxi chassis as well.

Colin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2009
Near Long Stratton, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Carthago C line
Exp
25+ years
Just found this in another ad:

"Genuine Fiat parts, comes with all necessary brackets and fitments.
If your viewing this you will probably know that Fiat no longer supply spare wheels but a useless inflation kit! These are pretty uneffective especially if going abroad, hence the need for a spare wheel, this carrier is the solution.
Please note there are different kits available dependant on wheel size 15 inch or 16 inch, steel wheels or alloy wheels. (Motorhomes with alloys fitted will require an extra bracket £15 on top)"

Colin

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
20569BF9-C623-478A-A266-D5EFF995F1EE.jpeg Hi. Both 15 and 16 inch wheels can have a pcd of 118mm. My Moho on a ducato chassis has 16inch alloy wheels but the pcd is 118mm the same as a 15inch wheel. Stay with me. To sling a steel 15inch wheel will work as you have proved. To hang my alloy ( you don’t say what size yours are) requires the kit shown here. You will see the 15 sticker on the plate where you put the hanger through as you would if it were the wheel. Then you use the rubber grommetted alan bolts to fit the alloy wheel to it. Still with me? I hope so. My tyre size is 225 75 16
Mike.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wondering what you were doing to support the wheel. Our fist Hymer had the spare wheel underslung with a wind up cable, Hymer had welded a couple steel bars across the chassis that the wheel pulled up against.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Wondering what you were doing to support the wheel. Our fist Hymer had the spare wheel underslung with a wind up cable, Hymer had welded a couple steel bars across the chassis that the wheel pulled up against.

Same thing, bought some 45 x 45mm galvanised channel to have welded or bolted to chassis rails in middle, it'll be tight fit though. Until I get it up on ramps, we won't know for sure if it will actually fit with enough space between it and road. looks tight, may only have about 4 -5 " clearance. Not sure if that's enough to clear speed bumps ??

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Although I’ve got both adapters for steel or alloy wheels I bought a round plastic BBQ cover (£5 from Amazon and about the size of a Jiffy bag when folded) to temporarily wrap the punctured wheel in should we get a puncture, then carry the punctured alloy wheel inside the van until we find a tyre depot, couldn’t see the point in stowing the punctured tyre underneath for maybe just a day.
For safety the least time spent at the roadside the better.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We didn't get a spare wheel carrier but as we have a decent garage under the bed I got our potential son in law to be to make me a round plate with a large bolt and bar welded to the nut to hold the wheel against the rear wall of the garage (which is half inch plywood) perfect solution for us so even if we have a puncture the wheel has a place to transport it

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Whilst Under-slung wheel carry is probably the least space hogging solution. Getting the buggers out with one tyre flat at the roadside can be a nightmare as I found on a Caravan Many years ago!. Put this way, I had less mud on me, mechanic(ing) on the RAC stages rally in the Dalby Forest. Where we where changing wheels like no tomorrow.

beabug

Free Member
Oct 24, 2018
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
View attachment 212556 Hi. Both 15 and 16 inch wheels can have a pcd of 118mm. My Moho on a ducato chassis has 16inch alloy wheels but the pcd is 118mm the same as a 15inch wheel. Stay with me. To sling a steel 15inch wheel will work as you have proved. To hang my alloy ( you don’t say what size yours are) requires the kit shown here. You will see the 15 sticker on the plate where you put the hanger through as you would if it were the wheel. Then you use the rubber grommetted alan bolts to fit the alloy wheel to it. Still with me? I hope so. My tyre size is 225 75 16
Mike.
I have Alloys on my new motorhome. Where can I purchase the kit you describe in your explanation … Many thanks … Kevin

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I have Alloys on my new motorhome. Where can I purchase the kit you describe in your explanation … Many thanks … Kevin
Hi Kevin. Away at the mo’. Will get some info to you next week. Mike

beabug

Free Member
Oct 24, 2018
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Kevin. Away at the mo’. Will get some info to you next week. Mike
Hi Mike, Thanks for your reply. I was fortunate this morning to discover all the part numbers for this adapter for mounting the 16" Alloy spare with the OEM Fiat Ducato Spare Wheel Carrier.
Also I have managed to find a supplier here in New Zealand not too far from our home. We have a new Mobilvetta K-Yacht 85 so I wanted to get the spare out of the garage. Once again, thanks for your support. …… Kevin

T60

Free Member
Jan 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Please can you post the part numbers for the 16" Fiat light alloy wheel adaptor kit & advise if it comes with the plate, the 3 allen bolts and the allen key in one package as shown in Ex-caravantugger's earlier post. Plate delivered to my local dealership (who have really tried to help) came on its own and they had to order the bolts separately - no allen key. When the bolts turned up and they tried to hang the spare wheel the holes in the adaptor plate supplied did not line up with the wheel. Fiat carrier fits fine on the chassis and the spare wheel (225/75R16 Vanco Camper on the Fiat 16" light alloy) fits nicely in the space. My only thought is there is more than one 16" adaptor? Any help to work it out would be gratefully received.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I have fitted the same on my van couldnt use proper position as waste tank in way
I bolted electrical galv uni strut to chassis rails then bolted wheel carrier to that used nylock nuts do secure and plenty of clearance

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Re clearance mount as near to axle as possible, to minimise any problem.
Jim

Sep 13, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2017
I have a 2019 Ducato 16 inch alloys and would like to carry a spare. Ideally would prefer to have it mounted toward the centre of van rather than at the rear beneath the floor which is what I had with my older van. Does anyone know if there are companies out there that are able to fit an underslung spare wheel mount?

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
I have a 2019 Ducato 16 inch alloys and would like to carry a spare. Ideally would prefer to have it mounted toward the centre of van rather than at the rear beneath the floor which is what I had with my older van. Does anyone know if there are companies out there that are able to fit an underslung spare wheel mount?

Sep 4, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T660
Exp
Since 2020
Thread resurrection alert:
Just wanted to say a big thank you to Techno for supplying me with a spare wheel carrier mechanism for our Bursty, and for the explanation on how to fit it and the provisos for doing so.

If anyone else wants one he has one left.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
View attachment 212556 Hi. Both 15 and 16 inch wheels can have a pcd of 118mm. My Moho on a ducato chassis has 16inch alloy wheels but the pcd is 118mm the same as a 15inch wheel. Stay with me. To sling a steel 15inch wheel will work as you have proved. To hang my alloy ( you don’t say what size yours are) requires the kit shown here. You will see the 15 sticker on the plate where you put the hanger through as you would if it were the wheel. Then you use the rubber grommetted alan bolts to fit the alloy wheel to it. Still with me? I hope so. My tyre size is 225 75 16
Mike.
I have one of these adaptors sat on a shelf in my garage if anyone needs one. Only thing missing is the allen key

1653899130662.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back