Fiat Ducato recall (1 Viewer)

ludlow1

Free Member
Jun 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
swift Kon Tiki 596
I also would have thought that if Fiat were putting out these recalls, that before they proceeded with it, they would make sure the parts we’re readily available, to avoid the back log that is happening at the moment

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
Hi
Just a quick bit of info, my steering started pulling to one side so looked up this post and low and behold!!!!
That is a seriously scary photo . Is the situation that a number of vans were assembled with already cracked knuckle joints or that they crack in service due to a weakness ? If the latter then I would have thought Fiat would replace all the suspect faulty batch on safety grounds rather than wait for them to crack with possible fatal consequences .

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I too have had this recall issue. I took mine in to the local Fiat Service Centre (FSS) for an inspection on 26th March and was told it had failed. It was booked in the following week for them to fit the new parts but the day before they rang to say that the parts had not arrived. I questioned when they would and was told they didn't know but that they would call me when they were available. At the end of April after hearing nothing I rang FSS again to be told they had no update, but that the service manager was on the case and would get the problem sorted. In the meantime my wife rang Fiat Customer Care (FCC) to raise the issue of basically nothing happening, and they agreed to raise a case on their system nd arrange for someone to call back with an update,

The following week I got a call back from FCC with them saying they could not give a date for when the parts would be available and that someone would call me back the following Monday with an update. Nobody called back. Over the next few week or so I called FCC every other day for the update I was promised. I kept getting fobbed of with the promise that the case manager would call me back. Finally, after refusing to end the call until I could speak to someone who could give me an update I was put through to someone who could. This apparently was the service manager dealing with all issues relating to the recall notification for the steering knuckles problem.

Here's a few of the questions I asked and the responses:

Q) when will the parts be available?
A) between the 30th June and 15th July. There's a chance it might be sooner.

Q) we've got a holiday booked on the 7th June is it safe to drive the vehicle?
A) we can't say. If you do it's your risk and we take no liability.

Q) what would happen if the steering knuckle failed?
A) let me check that ....... (pause while she did some digging on her system) ..... the wheel would come off.

Q) since the vehicle is unusable then can you provide me with a temporary replacement vehicle?
A) the only time we would do that is if you broke down while driving and called the emergency contact number. Then you would be given a vehicle for 5 days.

As a result I cancelled our 3 week tour of Scotland scheduled for June. The following week I got a call back from the same person who said she was now hopeful the parts would be available the 2nd week of June. But that until she knew for sure she was not prepared to inform FSS to get me booked in for the work. Said she would call me back after a week with an update. I'm still waiting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That is a seriously scary photo . Is the situation that a number of vans were assembled with already cracked knuckle joints or that they crack in service due to a weakness ? If the latter then I would have thought Fiat would replace all the suspect faulty batch on safety grounds rather than wait for them to crack with possible fatal consequences .
I understand they check them visually and also measure the knuckle to make sure it has the correct dimensions. Perhaps some garages are letting the undersized ones that are not cracked temporarily back on the road, but I am not sure they should.

I doubt that Fiat have halted their production lines to release knuckles for repairs but they should. I doubt they would lose many days production to resolve this awful backlog. I am one of the lucky ones that passed but I seriously doubt I will buy another Fiat based motorhome when I next change. I suggest that those affected should shout long and loud to dealers, manufacturers, Fiat and the press. Fiat need to understand that their pathetic performance on this is costing them their reputation and future sales.

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Graham, I have the same problem with fiat assistance (Milan) in relation to the airbag ecu unit which I have been waiting a replacement on since early March. I have a caseworker called ‘Amanda‘ who promises she will phone or email back but doesn’t. If they would just come clean and give the right information that is not too much to ask. Good luck anyway.

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Graham, I have the same problem with fiat assistance (Milan) in relation to the airbag ecu unit which I have been waiting a replacement on since early March. I have a caseworker called ‘Amanda‘ who promises she will phone or email back but doesn’t. If they would just come clean and give the right information that is not too much to ask. Good luck anyway.
Yes Amanda is the name. You have my sympathy.

Jun 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Received a notification that Fiat have had problems with Steering Knuckles.
Fiat reference is 6291.
Our van is a 2019 model.
Got it booked in for an inspection next week but they’ve said that if the part is nonconforming we will have to leave the van there.
They will then have to make a warranty claim to Fiat and wait for the parts from Italy.
Fingers crossed it passes as we‘ve got a few sites booked ready for when we’re released back into the wild!
My van is a 70 plate with same recall and has already been to the dealership and it is one of the fiats that requires new knuckle but sent me away in it, asked to bring back when they get spares and contact me, that was probably 6-8 weeks age 😳

Jul 4, 2013
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
IH 600RD
Exp
Since 2017
My van is a 70 plate with same recall and has already been to the dealership and it is one of the fiats that requires new knuckle but sent me away in it, asked to bring back when they get spares and contact me, that was probably 6-8 weeks age 😳

Have you seen the photo that Cosmicyoyo attached ? I still cannot get my head around this ,are Fiat replacing knuckle joints that are part of a serial number batch or merely those that on inspection are cracked do you know ?

OP
OP
TheMachMan
Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Looks like a letter to trading standards or Watchdog. Or whoever is responsible for vehicle safety in the uk.

ludlow1

Free Member
Jun 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
swift Kon Tiki 596
I think they may be doing both. If it’s part of a batch, but definitely if they are broken they fail

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
What’s annoying is that you would think they would have parts available for immediate despatch in anticipation.
Could be the same issue as with many shortages of goods at the moment

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Have you seen the photo that Cosmicyoyo attached ? I still cannot get my head around this ,are Fiat replacing knuckle joints that are part of a serial number batch or merely those that on inspection are cracked do you know ?
All Ducatos between certain dates and VIN numbers have to be checked. As already said if it is cracked it fails, it also has to have it’s dimensions checked and if it doesn’t measure up it fails.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Some info here I posted a while back I found out about it on a German site so started the process before I received the recall notice lucky enough mine have been replaced.

Cosmicyoyo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Hi
Further update on my broken steering knuckle, my van does not come under the recall time its to new!!! But have had it replaced along with a damaged suspension leg and collected it today. This could prompt a review of the dates involved in the recall !!!!!

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
Just been informed today the knuckles for my Swift have arrived at the Hyde Service Centre today and the van's booked in for fitting on Friday. Considering it went in for the inspection on 26th March that's one long wait. Hopefully others in the same situation will get theirs fitted soon.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I wonder how hire companies that are expecting an income from their vans are handling this if their vehicles are affected.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
What are the symptoms of this broken knuckle joint please as our 21 reg pilote ( ducato) seems to pull to the left a bit tyres are ok .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
What are the symptoms of this broken knuckle joint please as our 21 reg pilote ( ducato) seems to pull to the left a bit tyres are ok .
You should have received a recall letter if your’s is affected. I believe you can also use your Vin number to check online. Alternatively give Fiat Camper Assist a call and check it out with them.

lynne mannion

Free Member
Jul 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
florium
Got a phone call from Italy today to say the part will be at the garage 22 July! Let’s hope they are right.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back