Fiat Ducato Recall...Problems (1 Viewer)

AllyAC

Free Member
Apr 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 486 Edge
Firstly...I would have to say that I have no issues with both Fiat Professional Service Centres ( they have both done what they can… )

I received the recall notice five weeks ago for our brand new Swift 486 Edge - Fiat Ducato which we bought with 1 mile on the clock 8 months ago.

Six weeks ago, we received a recall notice for ‘faulty steering components' and reacted immediately by booking the vehicle in to a local Fiat Professional Service Centre, in March.

I drove the motorhome a 60 mile round trip for the 15 minute inspection , to which they inspected the vehicle and told me that the recall component had ‘failed’ - however they then informed me that they could not fit the vehicle into their work shop - and that I would have to take the vehicle to another Service Centre, a further 30 miles away - via another appointment.

I then contacted the second Service Centre and explained the problem and that the vehicle had failed the inspection, however they insisted that they had to inspect the vehicle themselves.

Unfortunately, the earliest they could inspect the vehicle was 18 days later, being the 12th April.

I again collected the vehicle and drove another 30 mile trip for the 15 minute inspection and was told that the vehicle had failed, which I already knew.

I was informed that the ‘proof’ would be sent to Fiat so the repair could be authorised, with the expectation that it could take a week.

After a week I telephoned the Service Centre on Monday 19th - as I had heard nothing, who informed me that they had not had an answer from Fiat - and that it could take a further 4 weeks - and that I must not drive the vehicle.

Having booked and paid in full, in advance for two holidays (…covid etc ) before the knowledge of the Safety Recall and with time running out, I was keen to get the job done asap.

Because of the compounded delays with the vehicle not being able to be repaired back in March due to the size of the first Service Centres workshop, then the delay in the time taken to book a second inspection - and now with a further expectation of between 4 - 6 week, I decided to escalate the case.

I then contacted Fiat Customer Care on Monday 19th April by a hefty explanatory email - and Tuesday received a telephone call from Lombardy Italy explaining that a ‘case’ had been opened and they would try to obtain the part and ‘bump me up the list’ and would call me back with a date.

Today (23rd April 2012 )... I can un-cheerfully announce that Fiat Lombardy Italy have confirmed that the component has been on back order for months… with no foreseeable date of when they will take delivery ( in Italy) from the manufacturer, which could be months - let alone ship it to Britain, then onto the Fiat Professional Service Centres.

I fail to comprehend how a vehicle like a 2.3 Fiat Ducato, the base of most vans. flatbed lorries and motorhomes in the world, don’t have this part on the shelf, having since discovered that this recall has gone on since 2019.

Therefore we now are paying £504.00 a month, an additional £120.00 a quarter storage, £500 a year insurance for the privilege of owning a brand new Swift Motorhome with 1034 miles on the clock…which is unusable and depreciating by the minute.

Anyone else enjoying the same experience...

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Gosh you have been unlucky. Quite a few members have had theirs checked including us. We were lucky but a few have had theirs done and had to wait 7-10 days assuming it’s the steering knuckles 6291. Ditcha was one

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If it wasn't a critical part of the steering I would suggest a temporary welded repair to the damaged part. Sadly the van is dangerous to drive as it is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You can get non Fiat parts but that would invalidate your warranty if there was a problem in the future. I only know this as a friend has a garage and he says non Fiat equivalents are available, I was having a puncture fixed on one of our cars and was moaning about the van prior to having it checked! Our van is still under warranty as well.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Having been told by the garage you can't drive it, if you did and had an accident your insurance would be invalid. I agree this is a very poor show by Fiat. Could you return it to the dealer as unfit for purpose?

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Yet so dangerous that it was okay to drive it home after the first inspection and then on to another centre
Not very consistent.
We were fortunate as ours passed but it was a nervous 15 minutes.
Agree you’d think they would have mass produced a load more and even shipped consignment stock to a few hubs. Very poorly executed.
I hope you get a quicker resolution.

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
If the recall has been in place since 2019 then surely it was sold to you faulty. Have you gone back to your supplying dealer and discussed it with them. They could maybe loan you another motorhome until yours is repaired.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Whilst I appreciate you've already spent a small fortune in time and money, I would suggest you spend a little more and take legal advice. Surely you have a case under "unfit for purpose"

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the problem is you are playing Russian roulette with the steering, a cracked steering knuckle can easily snap going over a pot hole etc

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Firstly...I would have to say that I have no issues with both Fiat Professional Service Centres ( they have both done what they can… )

I received the recall notice five weeks ago for our brand new Swift 486 Edge - Fiat Ducato which we bought with 1 mile on the clock 8 months ago.

Six weeks ago, we received a recall notice for ‘faulty steering components' and reacted immediately by booking the vehicle in to a local Fiat Professional Service Centre, in March.

I drove the motorhome a 60 mile round trip for the 15 minute inspection , to which they inspected the vehicle and told me that the recall component had ‘failed’ - however they then informed me that they could not fit the vehicle into their work shop - and that I would have to take the vehicle to another Service Centre, a further 30 miles away - via another appointment.

I then contacted the second Service Centre and explained the problem and that the vehicle had failed the inspection, however they insisted that they had to inspect the vehicle themselves.

Unfortunately, the earliest they could inspect the vehicle was 18 days later, being the 12th April.

I again collected the vehicle and drove another 30 mile trip for the 15 minute inspection and was told that the vehicle had failed, which I already knew.

I was informed that the ‘proof’ would be sent to Fiat so the repair could be authorised, with the expectation that it could take a week.

After a week I telephoned the Service Centre on Monday 19th - as I had heard nothing, who informed me that they had not had an answer from Fiat - and that it could take a further 4 weeks - and that I must not drive the vehicle.

Having booked and paid in full, in advance for two holidays (…covid etc ) before the knowledge of the Safety Recall and with time running out, I was keen to get the job done asap.

Because of the compounded delays with the vehicle not being able to be repaired back in March due to the size of the first Service Centres workshop, then the delay in the time taken to book a second inspection - and now with a further expectation of between 4 - 6 week, I decided to escalate the case.

I then contacted Fiat Customer Care on Monday 19th April by a hefty explanatory email - and Tuesday received a telephone call from Lombardy Italy explaining that a ‘case’ had been opened and they would try to obtain the part and ‘bump me up the list’ and would call me back with a date.

Today (23rd April 2012 )... I can un-cheerfully announce that Fiat Lombardy Italy have confirmed that the component has been on back order for months… with no foreseeable date of when they will take delivery ( in Italy) from the manufacturer, which could be months - let alone ship it to Britain, then onto the Fiat Professional Service Centres.

I fail to comprehend how a vehicle like a 2.3 Fiat Ducato, the base of most vans. flatbed lorries and motorhomes in the world, don’t have this part on the shelf, having since discovered that this recall has gone on since 2019.

Therefore we now are paying £504.00 a month, an additional £120.00 a quarter storage, £500 a year insurance for the privilege of owning a brand new Swift Motorhome with 1034 miles on the clock…which is unusable and depreciating by the minute.

Wow I feel your pain I was gutted I had to wait 2 weeks for the knuckles to be replaced but they had no issue with the parts supply, I like you dealt with Fiat in Lombardy who were extremely helpful and kept me up to date on parts hitting the dealers.

You say the recall is from 2019 but the knuckle recall 6291 was only done December 2020 is this the recall you are on about if so I think the dealers is pulling the wool.

Unfortunately you can't have any recourse for a recall.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Are you too late to return the vehicle to the seller as unfit for purpose?

Jan 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
CV40 Van conversion

Demand your dealer takes a vehicle out of stock and take the parts off it. It’s unfit for purpose. Alternatively contact your solicitor and demand a new replacement vehicle . Contact trading standards and open a case against dealer , not Fiat , as they supplied the vehicle to you. The fact that it comprises of Fiat parts and Swiftnparts is of no consequence. Also if you have financed the vehicle, contact the finance company and tell them you can not pay for a vehicle that is unfit for purpose. I was the area manager for a vehicle finance company and can guarantee you they will put immense pressure on the dealer to sort this out . The law is very much on the side of the consumer , when you bought the vehicle you didn’t pay Fiat for the van and swift for the conversion did you , ypu paid a motorhome dealer for a motorhome.

lynne mannion

Free Member
Jul 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
florium

lynne mannion

Free Member
Jul 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
florium
Hi
We have the same problem, now waiting for 3 weeks and no news on the parts!. We have phoned Italy and they don’t know when the parts will be with them!! Did you get yours sorted? Ta

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back