Fiat Ducato Radio upgrade (1 Viewer)

Irish Rovers

Free Member
Feb 10, 2021
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 597
I have just taken delivery of a new (to us) 2018 Swift Bessacarr Motor Home. The Fiat radio appears to be pants. Has anyone upgraded to something that does Android Carplay? What did you go for? And how difficult was it to fit?
TIA

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
I would like to replace my Fiat UConnect double-DIN head unit with an Apple CarPlay compatible one too. However, I notice that the existing radio has menu options that update the date and time that is displayed on the dash. Has anyone had to get a Fiat dealer to change this so it is maintained via the 'Mode' button? My dashboard has the so called 'reconfigurable multi-function' display (I think because its an automatic) and the Mode button menu doesn't seem to have the date and time option on it currently.

Upvote 0

Prospector

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jun 24, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-Line
Exp
Since 2015
I have the same problem with my pioneer unit, and since fitting the odometer flashes all the time.
I think this is a problem with the body computer, which I dont fancy tackling myself in case I make it worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Has anyone managed to successfully connect the original Ducati OEM rear view camera to a Kenwood (or Pioneer) replacement radio?
I have spoken with two professional installers and they are very evasive. They don’t know if they are compatible, there does not seem to be a recognised connector kit and they hope it just plugs in or they can adapt the existing rear view camera cable. Hmmm.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert

This is the unit I'm considering. It has android car play, etc. and that's pretty much what I'm after. I just need to see what connection kit I need to convert from the connection block I have Link here
That’s exactly the one I’m having fitted tomorrow. Halfords have fitting for £19 including all parts, so it’s a no-brainer. Will report back if all goes well.

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Was searching for the same last night and also on Halfords and it comes up out of stock until end of May for my post code or for home delivery, and fitting is nearly £100 so you have done well.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Was searching for the same last night and also on Halfords and it comes up out of stock until end of May for my post code or for home delivery, and fitting is nearly £100 so you have done well.
The website quotes £95 for fitting any radio, but the price tag in-store says the unit is £379 on its own, or fully fitted for £398. One local branch had one in stock but no fitting slot until next week, so I bought the unit there and booked the fitting at another which had a slot available.

Upvote 0
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Decided to replace the radio in my 10 year old Peugeot Boxer recently. Fairly straightforward to fit BUT had to pay the same price again (as the new radio) for a "special" adaptor just so i could wire in the steering wheel controls....a more expensive job than I thought.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 119
Hello, I've seen that Fiat has released a new model of their head unit with CarPlay included. Would it be possible to change the original radio by this new one? I called Fiat and they said that the vehicle is supossed to stay all its lifetime with the same radio, so they don't do this kind of modification.

I have a Fiat Ducato from 2019 and I think next year, during 2020, they start selling units with CarPlay included.

I know I can install Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood or some Android devices but I prefer to go with the original one.

The ones who install thir-party models, are these integrated into the CAN-Bus of the van? I mean, for example on my Fiat Ducato nowadays, I configure date and time on the head unit of the radio, and then it displays on the vehicle screen, so I assume there is some communication between the radio and the CAN Bus, at least for this. Is this working with third party units?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
I had a look at this too as I was concerned about the vehicle settings that the current UConnect head unit managed. I can see that the more expensive CarPlay units such as the Alpine X903D do indeed include settings that incorporate all the original options, but they are very expensive. I'm still looking for something that does this but at a more affordable price.

Upvote 0

Gary-G

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato MWB PVC
View attachment 478224 Success!!!! Managed to get the bugger out! Had to bend a couple of clips out of the way, but these belong to the original unit, so no loss there. New unit ordered. Will update with photos as I go
View attachment 478224 Success!!!! Managed to get the bugger out! Had to bend a couple of clips out of the way, but these belong to the original unit, so no loss there. New unit ordered. Will update with photos as I go
Irish Rovers can I ask did you get the Kenwood unit fitted? I am considering fitting the same unit. My 2017 Ducato has exactly the same wiring as per your photo. My Fiat radio is a Continental VP2 FL ECE NAV NO RVC. I have been researching and been speaking to Connect2 support. They tell me their installation kit CTKFT14 is the one for my vehicle. They have told me I will lose the date and time display on my instrument panel and the door lock function which can be set on my existing radio will also be lost. Did you have any of this happen to yours?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
I fitted a Kenwood to my 2020 no loss of functions, I also fitted a pioneer to my 2016 fiat again no loss of functions.

Upvote 0

Gary-G

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato MWB PVC
Thanks for that 10tenmen 👍. Did you have steering wheel controls on both vehicles? Also did you use the Connect2 interface and if so which ones?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2017
Bridlington
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
Happy to help
No steering controls on the 2016 and yes on the 2020. I rang the connects 2 and they sorted it out with a fascia cover too.

Upvote 0

Gary-G

Free Member
Nov 3, 2021
Northern Ireland, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato MWB PVC
Thanks for that. I have taken the radio out with those tools already to look at the ISO connector and other leads. Mine looks exactly as per Irish Rovers photo. You are right to say the prongs need pushing firmly home and sometimes wriggled about just to get the tabs on all four corners to release their grip.

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Dragging up an old thread I know, but still relevant today.

You guys that have upgraded your radios what did you end up getting and are you still happy with it. I am going to change mine I see a few of you got the Kenwood DMX5020DABS still happy ?

Upvote 0
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have that unit but still struggling to get it wired up correctly, but I do believe I now may have the correct information to get steering wheel control back again for volume, and also the dash display to read correctl.
Otherwise it is very easy unit to fit the Google maps, Waze, Apple car play are brilliant, But it’s a bit tiresome adjusting the volume without steering wheel control.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
I never resolved the issue about the compatibility of the fitted OEM rear camera and a new headset. I have therefore not bothered to change the ducato headset. I use Google maps on my phone for sat nav mounted in a holder in the cd slot.

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Spoke to Connects2 and told I need This kit but I will not be able to adjust date or time on dash. You will need This patch lead to the USB. Besides whatever head unit you decide on only other thing you'll need is a patch lead for that. I'll update when I done it on my van.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Several people seems to have fitted this Connects2 CTUFT01 Infodapter that does allow date/time etc to be set from the new headunit. However, it's not clear if it works with the OEM rear view camera.

https://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTUFT01#

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Several people seems to have fitted this Connects2 CTUFT01 Infodapter that does allow date/time etc to be set from the new headunit. However, it's not clear if it works with the OEM rear view camera.

https://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTUFT01#
Its a mine field with these connects2 Infoadapters I have emailed 3 suppliers each has given different ones I should get, it was then I emailed Connects2 direct with photos of the wiring and head unit that I am replacing and was given yet another different one to get. I thought hey they should know what they are talking about and got that. I will not be happy if the CTUF101 does let date and time to be set because Connects2 said none of their Infoadapters did this on a Peugeot Boxer/Fiat Ducato of my year 2020. It wont be here until Wednesday at the earliest I will update when fitted,

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Anyone know what these Fakra leads are for, ones got to be GPS another aerial and the third ? need to know what one is for the areal. Ive wired up the new head unit but getting crappy reception FM and DAB even using a inline signal amplifier, need to know I'm plugging in right one for the aerial. I had my van serviced today at a Peugeot main dealer and asked the mechanic, he didn't have a clue just saying he doesn't do radio's.

Van Radio leads.JPG

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
One of those leads could be pre installed wiring for the OEM rear camera.
All three were connected to the VC2 head unit, course there's no markings on that. The grey lead is a usb mini b that runs down to the usb port where the cup holders are. I will play around and swap the leads around see if I can get a signal. If not I will have to go to Halfords and get them to look at it.

Upvote 0

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer

Some info in this thread that might help you

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2016
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Inspired by your example, I decided to fit the same unit to my 2020 Elddis 120. Wiring was not much trouble. I used a Connects2 CTSPG017.2 steering wheel control adapter, and I needed an adapter for both the FM and DAB aerials. The lead for the microphone was too short to go all the way around the windscreen to the area of the mirror - I needed an extension for that as well.
The fascia however was another matter. All the internet said Connects2 CT23PE17 or CT23FT21 (which Connects2 confirmed are the same part) was the correct fascia. And after I'd removed the original radio, my resulting hole looked very similar to yours, Irish Rovers. I cut out the lower half of the plastic to give a double DIN sized aperture, However the fascia wouldn't fit - bulged over its width and sat proud with an airgap visible down the sides. Turns out it was too wide, needed to trim it by about 3mm, especially at the very top and very bottom. Once I got the fascia sitting nicely I attached the new unit to it, only to find it now wouldn't fit again. This time it was the screws which attach the support plates to the fascia which were catching on that little plastic ledge at the bottom of the single DIN opening at both sides. Once those were trimmed, (several hours of fettling later, when I eventually established what the problem was) it all fitted nicely.
I can't be sure of how many Peugeot based units will have the issues I had. Connects2 were surprised I couldn't get it to fit without trimming. But overall, I'm very happy with the result.
View attachment 482306
I have the same fascia panel. but there are plastic screw pillars on the back which interfere with the sides of the hole. I assume these can be removed?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back