Fiat Ducato Multijet Sat Nav . . .solved!! (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Only had our Knaus Sun TI for a year and this post may well be teaching granny to suck eggs. But just in case anyone is still struggling with the annoying sat nav, here's what I discovered by chance.

There is only one volume control and the unit was designed so you can't turn off the radio. So you have to turn the radio volume right down if you don't want it on, but what about the volume of the sat nav instructions? It seemed to have a life of its own, sometimes loud, sometimes quiet. It drove me crazy.

I asked the Fiat dealer when we went in for a service and he told me the sat nav volume was set at a constant volume (which I know to be untrue).

Finally I cracked it. There are two volumes. One when the radio is on and another when the sat nav is on. So wait for the sat nav instructions to speak and then adjust the volume then. You have to be quick though if the instructions are short. The sat nav then remembers that volume. When the radio is on you can turn that volume right down or not, but it won't affect the saved sat nav volume. Simples :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The same applies to listening to music from devices using the media button.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
:confused:I remember picking up a hire car from Bordeaux airport a few years back. Peeing with rain and at night with a hotel to get too, the sat nav had no sound and no instruction book in the car either :confused: but with a bit of fiddling about randomly, we came up with the same solution. Trouble was, the last occupants had set the language to Polish or somesuch (n) and it took forever to work out how to switch it .....as all the written text had gone Polish too :confused:o_O:confused: Eventually randomly sorted it and we got on our way:sneaky:

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
The same applies to listening to music from devices using the media button.
That seems reasonable, but the Sat Nav should have a volume setting in the Sat Nav settings for the simple reason that most instructions are fairly short and by the time you reach for the volume knob to adjust it, it's over . . . like, 'Turn around when possible'. :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That seems reasonable, but the Sat Nav should have a volume setting in the Sat Nav settings for the simple reason that most instructions are fairly short and by the time you reach for the volume knob to adjust it, it's over . . . like, 'Turn around when possible'. :D
I agree. I tend not to use that satnav for directions anyway. I find the screen display on my Garmin much easier to "read" so that sits on top of the dashboard showing where to go and also speed in kph (I haven't yet discovered changing the units on the fiat one) and the fiat one is used to play music from phone or iPod but with the NAV display on screen which always shows the current road being travelled. Most useful when you are not quite sure if you have chosen correct turning.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I agree. I tend not to use that satnav for directions anyway. I find the screen display on my Garmin much easier to "read" so that sits on top of the dashboard showing where to go and also speed in kph (I haven't yet discovered changing the units on the fiat one) and the fiat one is used to play music from phone or iPod but with the NAV display on screen which always shows the current road being travelled. Most useful when you are not quite sure if you have chosen correct turning.
Can see how two sat navs would help. I'm guessing you never get lost. :D

May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
If you press the + button in the top right hand corner of sat nav, it brings the volume control up, you can then set what volume level you want or mute sat nav. :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can never understand how anyone can use a sat-nav safely without sound ? My nephew does it. You have to remember to look at it & that means taking your eyes off the road . If you have multiple choices in a short space how do you work it out ? Here when it says " take the exit " & it is a multiple one how do you work it out with the sound off ? A choice of 3 'exits' after " take the exit" first needs sound for me , even more so when it is dark .

It's no wonder many can't get through Rouen without getting lost .:LOL: I couldn't manage it without sound .(y)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I find this the best way of dealing with misbehaving Tech.
smashing-laptop-with-bat.gif

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I can never understand how anyone can use a sat-nav safely without sound ? My nephew does it. You have to remember to look at it & that means taking your eyes off the road . If you have multiple choices in a short space how do you work it out ? Here when it says " take the exit " & it is a multiple one how do you work it out with the sound off ? A choice of 3 'exits' after " take the exit" first needs sound for me , even more so when it is dark .

It's no wonder many can't get through Rouen without getting lost .:LOL: I couldn't manage it without sound .(y)
Been through Rouen that many times, I don't need the sat nav. Always worried it might try and take me down a low underpass :D

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
If you press the + button in the top right hand corner of sat nav, it brings the volume control up, you can then set what volume level you want or mute sat nav. :D
There's a + button in the top left to zoom in or out, but no + button on the top right.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think they all work like that, our Clarion is the same but you can set the the volume in setting but the volume knob will override it. Easy enough to adjust just get it to repeat the voice command then adjust.
If you don't want the radio on just select an unused input like aux 1 or aux 2 etc.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
That is of interest to me. I don’t have a Fiat Sat Nav and I’m just using my iPhone with the TomTom app on it. If I connect the phone to the power directly I can get the instructions via Bluetooth. If I connect via the radio I get no instructions. I have to go to the phone and connect via an app EU Touch. I have seen the two stage volume control you allude too but sadly have never been able to adjust anything yet as seems to disappear as soon as I attempt to do anything. But you have inspired me to just try harder.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Aha! That's genius! :clap2:

Only using one satnav must be why I keep getting lost. :oops:
Always got my finger on the paper map too. Hubby does not like getting lost and also we often select a non direct route so using satnav directions is just for rough guidance but we spend more time ignoring them than taking them. :D
I guess we wouldn't use two if the Fiat one was better. Certainly the clear digital display of KPH on the Garmin is useful. We have had the dashboard upgrade to have lights on all time but still it is difficult to quickly glance and see kph.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Always got my finger on the paper map too. Hubby does not like getting lost and also we often select a non direct route so using satnav directions is just for rough guidance but we spend more time ignoring them than taking them. :D
I guess we wouldn't use two if the Fiat one was better. Certainly the clear digital display of KPH on the Garmin is useful. We have had the dashboard upgrade to have lights on all time but still it is difficult to quickly glance and see kph.
Wish I was that brave. Always take the most direct route and as much motorway as possible.

The journey is less scenic, but fewer brushes with white van man where I have to swerve to avoid wing mirrors and more importantly no overhanging trees on narrow roads. :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Wish I was that brave. Always take the most direct route and as much motorway as possible.

The journey is less scenic, but fewer brushes with white van man where I have to swerve to avoid wing mirrors and more importantly no overhanging trees on narrow roads. :D
On our two trips to France this year, we found that sat nav does not distinguish between roads apart from A roads. Although we were happy to go down all yellow roads and most white ones, it did try to take us down alleyways! Of course that was the most direct route in its tiny brain.

OP
OP
Makingtrax
May 17, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Guessing yours is a Tony Christie Sat Nav . . . down the avenues and alleyways.

Mine's more a Bonnie Tyler Sat Nav . . It keeps telling me to turn around and every now and then it falls apart :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back