Fiat Ducato Dash Swapped and now has a new fault! (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
What the hell is is with these Ducatos and there bloody dash binicles

Took it in today for a replacement unit due bleed on the warning lights. About 5 of them were dimly lit up.

All good to go after the swap I am told. Get in and set off and the total miles was flashing. I figured it maybe needs a mile or so to click in after been set on the new dash so I set off to my Motorhome dealer to have another issue fixed with my Truma heater. And nope it flashed all the way.

Asked the guys here to look at it to see if it just needed the enter button pressing if there is one lol

Nope told it's buggered and needs a new unit. Errrmm newer than an hour old?

Good lord I dispare. Off to France on Wednesday so it will just have to flash for the next 2 weeks. Dam Italians and there funny electricity.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Its a FIAT Fix It Again Tony, oh & we're no better off, we have a Peugeot Boxer & coming to that from a Sprinter is like heading back into the dark ages. A total shock to the system.
Hope you get it all resolved soon.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
With a bit of luck it will not be adding on the extra miles at least

Pain in the butt though, you have my empathy o_O(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
What the hell is is with these Ducatos and there bloody dash binicles

Took it in today for a replacement unit due bleed on the warning lights. About 5 of them were dimly lit up.

All good to go after the swap I am told. Get in and set off and the total miles was flashing. I figured it maybe needs a mile or so to click in after been set on the new dash so I set off to my Motorhome dealer to have another issue fixed with my Truma heater. And nope it flashed all the way.

Asked the guys here to look at it to see if it just needed the enter button pressing if there is one lol

Nope told it's buggered and needs a new unit. Errrmm newer than an hour old?

Good lord I dispare. Off to France on Wednesday so it will just have to flash for the next 2 weeks. Dam Italians and there funny electricity.
Couldn't decide which button to select for your post!
Hope you get it sorted.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Now this is only from memory, so most likely wrong then, but I think our replacement binnacle mileage was flashing until the technician plugged in something or other and reset this to the previous speedo mileage.
Have you spoken to the FIAT place?

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think they did not do a updated reset when fitting the new binnacle.
When mine was done it was exactly like that but I noticed before driving away.
It's something to do with it knowing the mileage on the display does not match all the other ecu's as in 'I think I may have been clocked' so puts the flashing mileage as a warning.
It will take the Fiat computer about 30 seconds to put it right if you take it back to them.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Spoke to the dealers. They say a 2min fix and I can pop in tomorrow to be done while I wait.

Also notice the suggested change up a gear indicator is not there now. But that's no bad thing. Might ask if that can be left off

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Dont wanna sound negative but "dont hold ya breath" they are a bloody awful design, problem after problem after problem

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when a 3rd party company can repair the faulty binacle and offer a lifetime warranty on their repair, why cant fiat or peugeot?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when a 3rd party company can repair the faulty binacle and offer a lifetime warranty on their repair, why cant fiat or peugeot?
Probably because the number going wrong is far outweighed by those not going wrong and means it simply aint worth them worrying......just like the judder issue.
When sufficient numbers are reported (possibly thousands) things may change....just like the judder.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
It need a proxy alignment to register it with the body computer. 2 minute job with diagnostic software. I suspect someone forgot to do it when it was changed! Repaired clusters don't need doing because they're already registered to the vehicle, but a new unit has to be introduced into the system.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
It got done. As as said took 2min to do. Suggested gear change is also back :-(

All I need to do now is drive in the dark to see if any are faulty again or wait until they are again. Not holding out much hope for it long term but as long as it's just false indications that's ok.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The problem is, the dealer just swaps the faulty one for another potentially faulty one, the repair company finds the faults and fixes them.
We were lucky when the dealer swapped ours, no more faults showed up in the few months before we sold the van.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Just had my console fixed for the light bleed under warranty. Mechanic said he had done 'hundreds'. I lived with it for over a year but obviously its an MOT failure so it had to be done!! So far so good (y) apart from reseting the finnicky menu system which I managed to change into Italian :doh:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just had my console fixed for the light bleed under warranty. Mechanic said he had done 'hundreds'. I lived with it for over a year but obviously its an MOT failure so it had to be done!! So far so good (y) apart from reseting the finnicky menu system which I managed to change into Italian :doh:
FIAT Commercial behind Shieldhall recycling plant by any chance?
If so, did mine a couple of times!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
FIAT Commercial behind Shieldhall recycling plant by any chance?
If so, did mine a couple of times!
Yes, bit of eye opener compared to your regular car dealer ;)
I asked them to do an oil and filter change a while ago cost £180 :Eeek::Eeek:

I watched The mechanic in the bay take 20 mins to unscrew the oil filter (to make up the time). So I only go there for warranty repairs. :(

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
Spoke to the dealers. They say a 2min fix and I can pop in tomorrow to be done while I wait.

Also notice the suggested change up a gear indicator is not there now. But that's no bad thing. Might ask if that can be left off

What is it with main stealers, why was it not done properly to start with ! I had the same when I put my Hilux into Toyota to get steering rack replaced under warranty, went to collect it and airbag light was on, went to see service manager who says " oh they have just forgot to reset it,2 minute job" wait while they reset it and red faced service manager comes back to explain that mechanic had not removed connection to clock spring in steering wheel airbag before removing the rack and had broken it !

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
What is it with main stealers, why was it not done properly to start with ! I had the same when I put my Hilux into Toyota to get steering rack replaced under warranty, went to collect it and airbag light was on, went to see service manager who says " oh they have just forgot to reset it,2 minute job" wait while they reset it and red faced service manager comes back to explain that mechanic had not removed connection to clock spring in steering wheel airbag before removing the rack and had broken it !
I had a recall for my Disco 3 for the high pressure, fuel pump. They returned the car with diesel pissing out of it !!! Another time they put the EGR system back without all the bolts on, I had to return it twice to get it properly done.
Needless to say Town & County LR in Aberdeen is long gone, worst dealership ever !!!

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I had a recall for my Disco 3 for the high pressure, fuel pump. They returned the car with diesel pissing out of it !!! Another time they put the EGR system back without all the bolts on, I had to return it twice to get it properly done.
Needless to say Town & County LR in Aberdeen is long gone, worst dealership ever !!!
Shocking ! mind you they probably thought it was normal to have fluid pissing out of a Land rover :D

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Shocking ! mind you they probably thought it was normal to have fluid pissing out of a Land rover :D
You may scoff, but I just had a lift in a D4 HSE, a magical floaty carpet ride across the third world donkey tracks of East Ayrshire, where my FIAT van base a few minutes previously was causing my fillings to rattle loose ! :Eeek:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
It got done. As as said took 2min to do. Suggested gear change is also back :-(

All I need to do now is drive in the dark to see if any are faulty again or wait until they are again. Not holding out much hope for it long term but as long as it's just false indications that's ok.
I think the suggested gear change is stuck in Italian driving mode :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back