Fiat Ducato B544 1995 Hymer 2.4 diesel not starting. (1 Viewer)

Elvismusic

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato B544
Hi to all, I'm a new member,
I have a starting problem with the engine, I've recently replaced the fuel filter ( wasn't starting before this)
My Hymer is cranking over but not starting. I've check resisters, all good.

Ive read that there is a fuel pump inside the fuel tank on some models, so I opened it up from inside the cab ( little hatch on floor ) all I can see is the fuel level indicator but no pump? Unless I'm missing something? Please see photo.
I've took off the fuel hoses from the fuel filter but no fuel comes out from filter connector pipes when the engine is cranked over.
So what I'm thinking is maybe there is no small fuel pump in the fuel tank and just the main pump on the engine, which I need to now look at or could it be the starter relay or is there a diesel pump relay??
Trouble is I don't know where these are??
Please can someone help, really appreciate any help thanks!

Kind regards,
Elvismusic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 46
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
There is a small fuel cut off solenoid very accessible on the top of the fuel pump. The piston can fail and stick shut meaning no fuel gets through. It's a two minute job to disconnect the electrical plug, unscrew the solenoid body and take out the little plunger that stops the fuel. Screw the body back in, refit the connection and try. If it starts you will need to stall the engine to stop it. It's the most common cause apparently and happened to me in France recently. Good luckđź‘Ť
Edit: If this works you will need a new solenoid

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
There should be a primer pump between filter and tank. Maybe a plunger on top of fuel filter of a rubber bulb in the fuel line. Obvious question have you fuel in the tank?
Fuel pick up and leak off pipes look okay as does the level sender in your photos

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It looks like this and apologies, it doesn't have an electrical plug, it has a little nut which holds the wires in place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211010-152230.png
    Screenshot_20211010-152230.png
    488.9 KB · Views: 20
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
It's located on the top of the injector pump which is at the front of the engine. If your van had a bonnet and you lifted it, the injector pump would be directly in front of you on the engine casing

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
What base vehicle and engine has your Hymer ?
1995 2.4, only base vehicle that fits that description I can think of would be a VW and I didn't realise they were used by Hymer.

Jan 3, 2013
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I-414
Exp
2002-2006, 2013-current
My first Hyme-a 564-used that engine, mine refused to start once and it took ages to work out what was happening. Someone had previously replaced the fuel hose from the pump to the injector rail and used rubber pipe suitable for petrol which diesel degrades so it was sucking air. Replaced the hose and it still wouldn’t start until we cracked the fuel connector joints onto the injectors to get ride of airlocks-worked perfectly after that.

OP
OP
E

Elvismusic

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato B544
There should be a primer pump between filter and tank. Maybe a plunger on top of fuel filter of a rubber bulb in the fuel line. Obvious question have you fuel in the tank?
Fuel pick up and leak off pipes look okay as does the level sender in your photos
Hi Clive,
Thanks for your reply!
The fuel gauge was showing empty but when I opened the top of the fuel tank it was full.
I replaced the fuel filter a short time ago, thinking that this was the problem. But it still doesn't start.
The strange thing is I took of the fuel lines to the filter and cranked the engine over but no fuel came out.
I then thought its the fuel pump inside the fuel tank but when I looked there wasn't one in there.
Would you know where the starter relay is? As I'm not sure which one it is.
Regards,
Elvismusic

OP
OP
E

Elvismusic

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato B544
What base vehicle and engine has your Hymer ?
1995 2.4, only base vehicle that fits that description I can think of would be a VW and I didn't realise they were used by Hymer.
Hi Eurajohn,

Thanks for your reply!
Apologies, yes it is a 2.5 Diesel engine Fiat Ducato Hymer B544 1995.

Regards,
Elvismusic

OP
OP
E

Elvismusic

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato B544
My first Hyme-a 564-used that engine, mine refused to start once and it took ages to work out what was happening. Someone had previously replaced the fuel hose from the pump to the injector rail and used rubber pipe suitable for petrol which diesel degrades so it was sucking air. Replaced the hose and it still wouldn’t start until we cracked the fuel connector joints onto the injectors to get ride of airlocks-worked perfectly after that.
Hi Monty777,

Thanks for your reply,
I will have a look around the main fuel pump next to the injectors!

Regards,
Elvismusic

OP
OP
E

Elvismusic

Free Member
Oct 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato B544
It's located on the top of the injector pump which is at the front of the engine. If your van had a bonnet and you lifted it, the injector pump would be directly in front of you on the engine casing
Hi Itsmcb,

Thanks for your reply with the photo, appreciated.

Apologies, I got the engine size wrong, it's a 2.5 diesel Fiat Ducato 1995 Hymer B544.
I will have a look in the engine again to see what I can find and try what everyone has replied with.
Thank you!

Regards,
Elvismusic

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Would you know where the starter relay is? As I'm not sure which one it is.
If it cranks it's nothing to do with the starter.
Any relays will be ignition switch controlled.

Just possible but not 100% sure on your year but look on the engine bay bulkhead half way between center and left hand corner for a square box... A little bigger than a relay... With a multi plug underneath and a black rubber button on top.
If its there that's the crash impact fuel cut-off solinoid.
Press the rubber button down.

Also makes an anti theft device if you pull off the multi plug.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Just wondered how this guy got on but he hasn't joined so we will probably never know 🙄

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back