fiat ducato 2lt petrol 1996 want start (1 Viewer)

W

william wason

Deleted User
hi. have fiat ducato 2lt petrol 1996 want start just engine turns over , have petrol to injectors , spark to plugs and air ok , cleaned injectors and checked compression have changed

1. fuel filter , spark plugs , HT leads , lambda sensor , ignition coil pack , butterfly sensor , air intake sensor , air filter

so was thinking cam and crankshaft sensors maybe problem as getting spark , petrol and air . do get occasional backfire
dont have OBD socket on motorhome so change parts and see just now , any help would be appreciated
please only serious comments not run it down hill in gear answers

take care
william

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
hi. would start first time every time then after changing LAMBDA sensor for a previous problem started every day for 4 days then 5th day would just turn over unpluged LAMBDA sensor to see if that was the problem but just the same

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
hi. sorry last time started about 4 weeks ago

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
How old is the petrol?
Does it spin over quickly? If so does it puff back through inlet?
Is cam turning?

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
petrol 8 weeks old
4 weeks since last run
dosent spin fast as if cylinder head gasket leaking as done compression test and all ok
cam shaft is turning ( engine only done 54,000 )

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
taken fuel pipe off fuel injector rail and put in bottle switched fuel pump on 5 seconds bottle half full no water
i stay central scotland

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
should go if spark there but if spark getting wrong signal from faulty cam or crankshaft sensor spark is not going to correct cylinder , thats what i am thinking

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK have you checked your throtal body and associated cabals and wiring check for broken or perished wiring
bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
should go if spark there but if spark getting wrong signal from faulty cam or crankshaft sensor spark is not going to correct cylinder , thats what i am thinking
check that sensors are clean thaye can get fillings crap build up and stop them working run a feeler gauge between the gaps
bill

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
cleaned throtal body , butterfly but would take forever to check all connections
thanks for trying to help but think its time for AUTO electrician
if it had OBD socket 10 minutes part shown but not there

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Seems crankshaft and/or camshaft may be the culprit(s) then, not much else it could be.

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
hi. think so as well cheers

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Hi mines a 1999 with a xu10 engine that had a starting or running problem they turned out to be the pressure switch on the fuel rail. I took it off cleaned it out and it's all ok now. When you start the engine the switch supplies extra petrol then clicks back to normal running mode maybe yours is stuck in the running mode and not getting the extra squirt to start? PS I later found an OBD port up behind the air filter on the near side but I've never used it.

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
hi. yes have seen that switch and thought it was a pressure relief switch in case fuel pump went faulty and kept putting pressure in , i have a black tube coming off that going to no where and thought ( looks very twisty lol to be just a bleed off tube for petrol and spraying over engine ) next to it looks as if pipe should go there but this has a black rubber plug over it
getting petrol to pugs as after turning key plugs are wet
will look for OSB port if i find it there your a god send as will put my computer on and maybe find problem

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Just read your post above, the pipe you mention should be connected to something mine is I think it works on vacuum . I'll have a look in the morning. The OBD port is right up by the corner of the windscreen, one grey socket and one Small green one just hanging about in the cobwebs

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
hi. thought it was a vacuum pipe but never taken it off anywhere , thanks will check for OBD port

Nov 16, 2017
Worksop
Funster No
MH
Chausson 711
Exp
Since 2018
Hi try a bit of easy start down the inlet manifold, if the engine fires you then will know the ignition is ok and concentrate on the fuel side. You could also squirt a bit of engine oil into the cylinders incase it has bore wash to help get the compression up.
Keep it simple first

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Carb cleaner or easy start in the intake will decide if it's spark or fuel that's the problem

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Got a sluggish diesel on a dying battery to fire up with deodorant (not roll on !) can use hair spray if nothing else. Brake cleaner is also very volatile but resist using too much, get someone to crank while you spray as close to throttle body as possible.

OP
OP
W

william wason

Deleted User
looking for wiring diagram for FIAT DUCATO 14 MWB 1996 2lt petrol to find out where the ignition coil sensors are ( cam shaft and crankshaft ) and if any body knows if engine immobiliser cuts the petrol and spark off to engine , cranks over but want start

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back