Fiat ducato 2014 a few issues (1 Viewer)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Yes, but it is extremely difficult to see, the windscreen wiper partially obscures is, look close to the wiper pivot and you should see it. Failing that, remove the panel above the light, 2 screws, and then carefully 'wiggle' it upwards to free the pop studs. The panel is plastic and can snap.
True. I found it easiest to see by moving the wider arm to a vertical position. You have to switch on the ignition, then the wipers, and then switch off the ignition when the wiper arm is vertical. You should then be able to see a very small drain hole which is similar to the one on the left.

The scuttle drain pictures above are of the main scuttle drain.

I have found the 2 small drains get blocked very easily and need probing with a small wire - I use a curtain rail.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I washed the MH today inc the roof when I had swilled it off the front scuttle was full of water, On lifting the bonnet there is a pipe around 1 inch diameter with water up to the top I stuck the hose pipe down until clear then replaced the pipe to the fitting under the scuttle, then ran water into the scuttle to test all ok, on the passenger side at the end past the wiper arm there is a small grommet attached to a pipe which was clear. Pete

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Hi
I washed the MH today inc the roof when I had swilled it off the front scuttle was full of water, On lifting the bonnet there is a pipe around 1 inch diameter with water up to the top I stuck the hose pipe down until clear then replaced the pipe to the fitting under the scuttle, then ran water into the scuttle to test all ok, on the passenger side at the end past the wiper arm there is a small grommet attached to a pipe which was clear. Pete
Hi it seems it's the area on the passenger side past the wiper arm that is the problem area. Although it seems we need to keep an eye on the complete scuttle on a regular basis as they seem to block up rather easy. I'm awaiting a reply from Fiat tomorrow. Fingers crossed:smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Hi it seems it's the area on the passenger side past the wiper arm that is the problem area. Although it seems we need to keep an eye on the complete scuttle on a regular basis as they seem to block up rather easy. I'm awaiting a reply from Fiat tomorrow. Fingers crossed:smiley:
They do need checking regularly, it seems it was a very "Heath Robinson" fix by Fiat, which only partially addresses the problem. Although owners of newer vans appear to be saying the drains are much larger bore now.
I personally use electrical drive plastic (the sort that is used to move electric aerials) to clear mine. I think this can be purchased quite cheaply, however I just pinched a metre of it from my brother in law, who is an electrician.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
The results are in. Seems that there is a problem with instrument panel. This has been replaced by Fiat under warranty(y). The scuttle issue it seems is just a very poor design apparently ours is the same as Daniels photos above so the drain tube was there just blocked so this has to be checked and cleared otherwise you risk water into the wrong place in the engine bay:( not the best idea Fiat have had.
Thanks to all for the information and photos. Hope this will help a few as well:cheers:

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Have done some photos in thred found the little buggers, as I couldn't find this thred. Hope it helps all three of mine was blocked.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Have done some photos in thred found the little buggers, as I couldn't find this thred. Hope it helps all three of mine was blocked.
The thing is. This is only a small problem if not checked can cause real problems down the line. Might be worth looking at a diy fix

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i have replaced the original small diameter drains either side of the scuttle with plastic central heating pipe inserts cut down and 10mm plastic tube directing it out into the wheel arch area. works an absolute treat.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Fragle said:
The thing is. This is only a small problem if not checked can cause real problems down the line. Might be worth looking at a diy fix
Yes will keep the curtain wire in the motorhome.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
i have replaced the original small diameter drains either side of the scuttle with plastic central heating pipe inserts cut down and 10mm plastic tube directing it out into the wheel arch area. works an absolute treat.
Did you use the inserts in place of the grommets?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Did you use the inserts in place of the grommets?

yep, removed the 2 side covers ( either side of the scuttle ) 2 screws and 3 poppers ( carefull with them ) removed all the old stupid tubes and grommets and hand drilled ( literally by hand, as the scuttle is thin plastic ) the scuttle. got 2 plastic inserts for plastic heating pipe and trimmed them to a T shape. inserted these in the enlarged hole in the scuttle onto some sealant. then added a lenght of clear plastic pipe ( i think 10mm ID ) on to the end of each then thread it down and out into the respective wheel arch either side.

works a treat. if you want i'll see if i can get a couple of photos tomorrow.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Better still i have found the original photos;
20140428_101545.jpg
20140428_102020.jpg
20140428_102149.jpg
20140428_101958.jpg

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
yep, removed the 2 side covers ( either side of the scuttle ) 2 screws and 3 poppers ( carefull with them ) removed all the old stupid tubes and grommets and hand drilled ( literally by hand, as the scuttle is thin plastic ) the scuttle. got 2 plastic inserts for plastic heating pipe and trimmed them to a T shape. inserted these in the enlarged hole in the scuttle onto some sealant. then added a lenght of clear plastic pipe ( i think 10mm ID ) on to the end of each then thread it down and out into the respective wheel arch either side.

works a treat. if you want i'll see if i can get a couple of photos tomorrow.
Looks like a neat job and a good fix. That will do for me. Thanks for the info and photos. I collect my van from dealer tomorrow. That will give me something to do(y)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Daniel ford.. I have the newest and they are still VERY small diameter drains !! But thanks to whoever it was who directed me to the one on the RH side which is hidden by the RH wiper arm pivot.. I have now cleared it..
Will stick a thin cable tie down each one and leave it there.. Ta Ninovan...
Wiggle it regularly !! :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi Daniel ford.. I have the newest and they are still VERY small diameter drains !! But thanks to whoever it was who directed me to the one on the RH side which is hidden by the RH wiper arm pivot.. I have now cleared it..
Will stick a thin cable tie down each one and leave it there.. Ta Ninovan...
Wiggle it regularly !! :)

I cannot believe them. They had water ingress problems on old shape vans...on early ones water was entering the gear boxs. Will they never learn. BUSBY...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back