Free Member
Jul 1, 2012
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
1986 fiat ducato eldis
Exp
I,m a newbie
Hi we have 1986 ducato with eldis conversion,it has hardly been used in last five years and we have had it about 2 months and put 1200 miles onit .at speeds between 40 to sixty we get a bad vibration through van and gearstick but not through steering wheel .any ideas would be great ,and does anyone have a manual for vechicle ,it is a petrol 2ltr .many thanks in advance .Paul

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bad tyres
they get flat spots and other problems when stood for long periods. get them checked off the vehicle and replaced especially if their over 7 years old

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Vibration

I once had a similar vibration on our 1992 Kontiki (Talbot based) it seemed like tyres or wheel balance because it usually came on at the same speed. However, it still appeared if trying to pull away with lots of revs, i.e. uphill. It turned out to be bearings in the drive shafts and when these were replaced the problem disappeared. I don't suggest that this is definitely your problem, but if you rule out tyres/balance it might be worth investigation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as already mentioned...distorted/flat spot front tyres.

also 'out of balance' rear tyres, buckled rear wheels and/or weak, inefficient shock absorbers.

in the extreme, it could be out of balance/slightly bent drive shaft(s) or badly worn CV joints, (but they would cause a loud, rapid knocking noise...especially in corners)

Delboy259

Free Member
Nov 15, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi Plynch2002.

I don't know if you are still on this forum, But I now own your old van.

I must say that I am very happy with it up to now.

The habitation area is in great nick & everything works as it should.

I too am suffering from the vibration above 40mph, I guess from this you didn't sort out the problem.

I have changed all the engine mounts, this calmed things down a little but have now discovered that the drivers side CV joint is passed it's best, this is my next job. It will no doubt sort out the vibration.

I am only contacting you to see if you have any more information on the van, ie things you noticed that might need doing.

Thanks

Derek

OP
OP
P

Plynch2002

Free Member
Jul 1, 2012
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
1986 fiat ducato eldis
Exp
I,m a newbie
Hi ,I am still on forum,nice to know van has new owners,can u give us just first part of reg so that we both know it is same van we are talking about. I am a shift worker so there may be a delay in replying sometimes.
If same motorhome we used it all summer ,but could only keep motorhome on a storage site which made it awkward to work on.Also due to the glorious wet weather we had all summer the motorhome kept either sinking or getting stuck on storage (it was a grassy storage area on farm)so could not investigate the vibration problem safely .I did oil and filter change and had wheels balanced .One of the wheels had to have extra weights on. I think it was rear right but the person we sold it too may have changed it.Paul ps please keep in touch

Delboy259

Free Member
Nov 15, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi Paul

The Reg is C800 GBA

It's a great van but needs a little work.

luckily I have a big drive that gives me a chance to get on with the little jobs that need doing.

Thanks for the reply

Derek

OP
OP
P

Plynch2002

Free Member
Jul 1, 2012
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
1986 fiat ducato eldis
Exp
I,m a newbie
Hi its the motorhome .:Smile: glad you got the space to work on her unfortualey we didn't .We only had motorhome for three brilliant months ,apart from the vibration .we got the motorhome from Staffordshire ,we live in Mersyside ,went away virtually every weekend. we sold it because of being unable to work on it properly.Dont know what work dealer did on it if anything when we sold it. It was like a magnolia cream colour when we had don't know if its been resprayed. Take care .keep in touch .Paul

Delboy259

Free Member
Nov 15, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi Paul.

No he didn't respray it. It's still the same magnolia colour, although I do intend to repaint it in the new year, a nice white.

Did you get it MOT'd or was it already done when you got it?

I only ask as I intend to spend a bit of money to get it how I want it and I don't want any unexpected shocks later.

I have already fitted power steering (I'm getting too old an I can't handle the weight).

It's nice to speak to the previous owner and find out the vans little quirks.

Thanks for talking to me

Derek

OP
OP
P

Plynch2002

Free Member
Jul 1, 2012
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
1986 fiat ducato eldis
Exp
I,m a newbie
The van was Motd by previous owners ,they said they only used it once or twice ,if you got given the last few years mot's the motorhome has only done about a thousand miles in the last five years .We put on About 1500 miles on it in the short time we had it .the only probs we had was a badly leaking rocker cover gasket ( the rocket cover is damaged on RHD corner ) not by us and may releake in future .also when we first used van ,wife was in bathroom ,and got free shower when main taps were turned on in main part of motorhome.we replaced taps in bathroom and new shower head which cured problem in bathroom ,but when turning on taps in bathroom the water also comes out of main area taps ,so they will properly need replacing .just a thought we never put any antifreeze in as it was supposedly summertime.We give the dealer loads of paperwork that we received with van .Paul

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I had a 1989 2.4 Ducato with the same problem.. Had the tyres checked and while it was at the tyre place I checked underneath.. Found the same as Iandsm.. used the tyre places ramp and jacks ( it was a quiet day for them as luck would have it ) and while they pulled off the hubs and yanked the shafts I shot off and grabbed a pair.. An hour and half later I was back on the road and all was fixed :thumb:

Delboy259

Free Member
Nov 15, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Thanks for the info Paul.

I was trying to find where the oil was coming from, not much, just a couple of drips under the van. Now I know where to look, thanks.
I have done the antifreeze & repaired the taps in the kitchen, it was quite amusing to see the taps come on in the kitchen when using the bathroom.
I also noticed a small green light above the wardrobe, after tracing the wiring, it went to the fresh water tank, a bit of re wiring & it works a treat (low water warning light).

I might have to replace the waste water tank as it has a few holes in it (patched them up for now). Do you know if this tank just empties itself or is there a tap somewhere?

Thanks Again

Derek

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back