Fiat doblo car all windows - Should I bother to insulate? (1 Viewer)

Lucy_i_am

Free Member
Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat doblo
Hello,

Over posted subject but any comments greatly appreciated.

I have a 2008 fiat doblo with the seats and windows all in. A proper square OAP mobile. I love it!

I picked this vehicle as I have a 2year old who needs a proper car seat and another baby on the way. I also wanted something cheap on fuel and it's ULEZ as it's petrol.

I don't care about trashing the interior. Not attached to it in anyway. But I just wondered given how many big windows there are...Am I wasting my time?

If not. What insulation would be best?

It would pretty much be just the roof and the floor. Then a few bits in between the windows. Then I would have to bolt the back seat back in on top for the kids.

I am going to get some thermal sucker blinds for the windows. Hopefully it will make some difference.

I am hoping to end up with a warmish doblo camper with a boot camper in the back that pulls out when needed. I did toy with idea of flipping the back seats round behind the front two and fully converting it somehow but not sure if it would work. That's a question for another post when I have got the seats out to insulate maybe and pondered some more 🤔

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As the bit between door and roof is mostly glass I wouldn't bother.
Even with sucker type pads You'll lose more heat there than anywhere.
That's why motorhomes have double skin plastic windows.... Not really practical on a doblo.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you could insulate and use reflective screens on the windows like larger PVC's

oh and Welcome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS ; if you were to insulate you can buy the rolls of liner that are used on VW T5 /6 campers, check fleabay or even a dedicated vw conversion web page.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'd use foil insulation perhaps 2-3 layers. Make up some cardboard patterns.

Cut out the foil and tape together with double sided tape and duct tape around edges.

Buy some large 50mm velco stick on pads.

Stick on on top of the gaffa tape as they tend to rip the foil insulation.

Just a thought.

Cheers James

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
1611605300619.png

Lord Vader

Free Member
Jan 31, 2021
East Sussex Newhaven
Funster No
MH
Renault Master
Exp
Conversion
Just thought I would throw in my two penny worth on the insulation subject, the conversion I am currently doing I fully gutted the van and lined every panel with a deep layer of thermal insulation. Over the top of that I used silver foiled bubble thermal insulation, then finally a layer of acoustic insulation, all of this is neatly hidden behind all of the trim panels.
I elected to insulate and sound proof walls floor and ceiling because we will be using our van all year round, that is once it is completed and this dreaded covid pandemic is finally dealt with.
Lord Vader
20200910_144018.jpg
20200910_111422.jpg
20200420_103328.jpg
20200414_115716.jpg
20200414_093951.jpg

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Your talking about one of these (or similar)?

Fiat~Doblo~(6).jpg

Looks like 50% of the walls are windows. Not sure I'd bother with much insulation because the heat will flood out of the windows. Perhaps foil lining, that will double up as vapour barrier, is better than nothing and still quite thin?

I'd say insulate the roof because heat rises, but not sure you want to take away from headroom?

Out of interest, do you plan on having heating?

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Shame about the timing - our neighbours had a Doblo, with a slot in kitchen conversion unit, and an awning/annex fastening to the rear. But they moved last week, and have sold the Doblo. I would have asked them what they did for insulation, but can’t now. What I do know is that they found it pretty much a “fair weather only” camper (& in that context they liked it)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Your talking about one of these (or similar)?

Fiat~Doblo~(6).jpg

Looks like 50% of the walls are windows. Not sure I'd bother with much insulation because the heat will flood out of the windows. Perhaps foil lining, that will double up as vapour barrier, is better than nothing and still quite thin?

I'd say insulate the roof because heat rises, but not sure you want to take away from headroom?

Out of interest, do you plan on having heating?
Tbh for summer use, do you need a heating?

Get a few bodies in there with a gas stove and you'll be toastie.

Another suggestion is to buy a dog bed that fits over a the front seats for ÂŁ25 compared to the ÂŁ90 for childrens version!

Cheers James

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Just thought I would throw in my two penny worth on the insulation subject, the conversion I am currently doing I fully gutted the van and lined every panel with a deep layer of thermal insulation. Over the top of that I used silver foiled bubble thermal insulation, then finally a layer of acoustic insulation, all of this is neatly hidden behind all of the trim panels.
I elected to insulate and sound proof walls floor and ceiling because we will be using our van all year round, that is once it is completed and this dreaded covid pandemic is finally dealt with.
Lord VaderView attachment 464364View attachment 464365View attachment 464366View attachment 464367View attachment 464368
Nice job have you stated a build thread?

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
At about ÂŁ85 my diesel heater is the best thing I've put in my van and I would never be without one. With windows like that, even if it's +5 degrees (as it often is early summer) you'll soon get cold.

Just make sure you get the smallest heater size.

If on hook up perhaps one of these would be good in such a small space. Wouldn't ever run heating off battery though, especially not the size of battery likely to be installed in a mini-camper.

Amazon product ASIN B07HZDNGKF

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
My amazon link doesn't seem to show up...

It's to this. 500w, 230v plug in electric heater. ÂŁ12.50

Like I say, probably a hook up only item as it will use approx. 50 amps an hour!

71o-mQ95vxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back