Fiat Dealership Coventry. PLEASE read (1 Viewer)

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
TRY ...to simplify without getting too tech ...
Friend of mine . FIAT Ducato 2009... Rapido .
Wiper washer error on code plug in ..Basically means that ya turn ignition on & wiper & wash activate without using controls ..(steering stalk arms )
The fault was diagnosed with the relevant codes .. New unit / loose connection ..
So basically ya cannot drive the van as both will be in operation ...
OK ..
SO .. I checked out fuses using plans provided on service/ handbook for the motor washer & wiper, & removed the relevant fuses so the van could be driven .. ( in dry conditions).. WIPER FUNCTION FUSE LOCATED IN FUSE BOX RIGHTS SIDE BELOW STEERING CONSOLE & Washer motor LOCATED NEARSIDE ENGINE COMPARTMENT... I must mention that I removed this myself ... 2 x bolts securing the cover .A bit awkward but ok ... as I have similar engine / van I did it mine before hand ....So we'll versed in what to to & Identified the fuses relevant ..
Van booked into FIAT COVENTRY. .. Bearing in mind they were informed of the defect & Codes identifying the fault ..
Well ... we called them & guess what. . VAN was ready for collection ..
why didn't they call us ???,
SO HERES THE STING .... !!!!!! They have to order the part ...ok fair enough ... BUT..... !!!!!????,, £96.00 for diagnosis .... I pointed our the .....in writing .. the fault codes on the paperson we provided ...
ok ... I was making myself known as staying this is a RIPP OFF ... as charging for information that we have already provided from another professional ..
Anyways moving on ..I asked for an inspection of the van .
The fitter came out all very polite ... First thing ... oil grab marks on the bonnet lid .. & . nearside wing bottom wing ... Not good !!! ! Also oil boot marks on drivers enrty step & corner most of carpet ...
This fitter was babbling on about he had to remove the nearside headlight to access / remove the engine fuse box cover .. Yeh ... funny that as I did it on mine & my friends van. ... ON CLOSER inspection it doesn't look like the head lamp has been removed .. RIP OFF ..
Also he tried to sway me that the diagnostic hand held fault device they used was paramount .... I said NO .... just because yours has FIAT embossed on it its the same as others ..... He didn't responde to that as I was quite full on re it will be be same fault codes .. Another RIP OFF .

Anyways ... They cleaned off the oily grab marks ...
The part is on order ..I've advised to collect the part but not have these unprofessionals fit ... I await the outcome ...
it's all underwarranty but I do see what they are charging the RAC WARRANTY PEOPLE ... I will inform them if this totally RIPP off experience .For Your Information ..Please be aware ....
& please same these people if ya not satisfied .. They thrive on people not saying anything ....

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't really understand why you used a third party to identify the fault if you then intended to get it done under warranty

I also have no idea of the cost of the part needed, but it doesn't sound overly expensive, had it been me, while at the independent I would have got them to buy and fit the part needed

I am not in possession of all the facts, but I do like an easy life, the aggravation you have gone through seems disproportionate to the cost to sort (y)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you think that's a rip off then don't ever get an A class and break the windscreen.

There are a lot of rich men around with that great big con.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't really understand why you used a third party to identify the fault if you then intended to get it done under warranty

I also have no idea of the cost of the part needed, but it doesn't sound overly expensive, had it been me, while at the independent I would have got them to buy and fit the part needed

I am not in possession of all the facts, but I do like an easy life, the aggravation you have gone through seems disproportionate to the cost to sort (y)

But then that is how all these scammers, in all walks of life , continue to thrive.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
TRY ...to simplify without getting too tech ...
Friend of mine . FIAT Ducato 2009... Rapido .
Wiper washer error on code plug in ..Basically means that ya turn ignition on & wiper & wash activate without using controls ..(steering stalk arms )
The fault was diagnosed with the relevant codes .. New unit / loose connection ..
So basically ya cannot drive the van as both will be in operation ...
OK ..
SO .. I checked out fuses using plans provided on service/ handbook for the motor washer & wiper, & removed the relevant fuses so the van could be driven .. ( in dry conditions).. WIPER FUNCTION FUSE LOCATED IN FUSE BOX RIGHTS SIDE BELOW STEERING CONSOLE & Washer motor LOCATED NEARSIDE ENGINE COMPARTMENT... I must mention that I removed this myself ... 2 x bolts securing the cover .A bit awkward but ok ... as I have similar engine / van I did it mine before hand ....So we'll versed in what to to & Identified the fuses relevant ..
Van booked into FIAT COVENTRY. .. Bearing in mind they were informed of the defect & Codes identifying the fault ..
Well ... we called them & guess what. . VAN was ready for collection ..
why didn't they call us ???,
SO HERES THE STING .... !!!!!! They have to order the part ...ok fair enough ... BUT..... !!!!!????,, £96.00 for diagnosis .... I pointed our the .....in writing .. the fault codes on the paperson we provided ...
ok ... I was making myself known as staying this is a RIPP OFF ... as charging for information that we have already provided from another professional ..
Anyways moving on ..I asked for an inspection of the van .
The fitter came out all very polite ... First thing ... oil grab marks on the bonnet lid .. & . nearside wing bottom wing ... Not good !!! ! Also oil boot marks on drivers enrty step & corner most of carpet ...
This fitter was babbling on about he had to remove the nearside headlight to access / remove the engine fuse box cover .. Yeh ... funny that as I did it on mine & my friends van. ... ON CLOSER inspection it doesn't look like the head lamp has been removed .. RIP OFF ..
Also he tried to sway me that the diagnostic hand held fault device they used was paramount .... I said NO .... just because yours has FIAT embossed on it its the same as others ..... He didn't responde to that as I was quite full on re it will be be same fault codes .. Another RIP OFF .

Anyways ... They cleaned off the oily grab marks ...
The part is on order ..I've advised to collect the part but not have these unprofessionals fit ... I await the outcome ...
it's all underwarranty but I do see what they are charging the RAC WARRANTY PEOPLE ... I will inform them if this totally RIPP off experience .For Your Information ..Please be aware ....
& please same these people if ya not satisfied .. They thrive on people not saying anything ....

Can you confirm that this dealer is only a Fiat franchise rather than the Fiat Professional franchise?
If only Fiat they would not be that familiar with the Ducato’s.
I only ask as I do use a Fiat Professional dealer very close to Coventry

Falcon 269

Free Member
Jul 11, 2013
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't agree with your implication that the dealership should have accepted your diagnosis without question.

Suppose they had gone ahead and replaced parts without confirming the fault and it turned out to be something else? No doubt then you'd be whining about being charged for parts and labour that weren't needed.

The cost of the diagnostic check seems extortionate but the reason for doing one is justifiable, IMHO.

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I don’t often stick my head over the parapet but I am breaking my own rule . You cannot go to a doctor and expect to be treated on the basis of another doctors opinion. They have a duty of care to do the job right. Hope you see where I am coming from.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I don’t often stick my head over the parapet but I am breaking my own rule . You cannot go to a doctor and expect to be treated on the basis of another doctors opinion. They have a duty of care to do the job right. Hope you see where I am coming from.
I tend to agree with you on this occasion. If you knew what the problem was why not just get the part and do it yourself.
Personally I would want to check the whole job. So can understand why they did re-check.
Few years ago went to Renault in Coventry Their computer came up with a gearbox fault. Sorry sir not able to repair £5000 +please.
My second word being :swear2: off. A little research and a trip to Crewe Renault in short £200 including new oil and filter.
Always worth rechecking for me anyway.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I had engine light on my van, got a friend who owns a garage to diagnose problem, came up with 4 faults. He advised to take it to Fiat Inverness (Professional) they checked the faults and told me it was a blown fuse for something on engine, fitted new fuse and charged me £65 all in. I was happy with that and asked them about original diagnosis and they said same as you, their machine is better.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ive just stripped mine down (2006 Ducato) cleaned up contacts and replaced. Total cost nothing, time to do job 2hrs, need to do it again time needed half an hour.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Have to agree with others here that they were right to do their own diagnosis, I know I would if someone brought something to me for repair.
Can’t condone the oils marks and lies about removing the headlight though.
We used to live just outside Coventry and used that garage when Mrs A’s Fiat car developed a fault. The engine wouldn’t rev then suddenly develop full power, which was interesting to drive in an underground car park with numerous concrete pillars and a pretty light turbocharged car after they said they had fixed it......
Anyway, they paid for the bodywork repair but couldn’t find any error codes or fix the fault, nor could the Fiat garage in Balsall Common.
Our local garage with a 70 year old “proper” mechanic found the fault in 2 minutes by good old fashioned fault finding. A loose wiring connector.

OP
OP
Musicboy

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Sorry about delay ... Yep , A propper FIAT dealer. .. As per my post I was trying to protect a friend of mine as I knew what was going to happen & fact that the mess on the bonnet lid etc is just common place...
I'm aware people use main dealers etc & have good service , however the majority don't. .
I was just making others aware of the shoddy service from FIAT COVENTRY ... regardless of third party issues ...
In my view .... APPALLING SERVICE .... ...
No need to question the warranty ie previous posts etc etc ... it's still a total rip off ... No need to disect the reasons & why fores ...The basic facts are seemingly obvious ...
Viewing other responses , we are not alone in our experiences .. so im sure most but not all will agree. .. cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back