Fiat Dash light fault---- Any bets on outcome? (1 Viewer)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Well known fault -- Turn on cruise and 2 warning lights dimly glow. 3 years old to the day. Local garage services and last week ( motorhomer who has had same issue) Suggests I ring Fiat Customer Service. Great response from them, said known fault, ask me to ring Fiat Pro Dealer and get them tp look at it. Can't promise but it is a known problem and we will look at the goodwill claim sympathetically. I contact a Fiat Pro Dealer last friday. Pop in next week and we can checkout. Arrived at their place in York (CLUE) this morning and the lady receptionist was great. Asked her colleague who was sat next to her if he could nip and check the issue and get the number they required. Shocked to hear him say, in front of us, I am busy they will have to wait! ( My management glared at me to make sure I didn't respond in my normal manner) Eventually after 10 mins he got off his arse and went to our vehicle. The girl took all the details she needed and we went out to see Mr Happy. His comment as he gave me the keys back was : 3 years old and out of warranty-- doubt you will get anything from Fiat! Apparently £850 part plus fitting. I left annoyed! Girl rang later to say Fiat said no Goodwill at all. She said she had then rung the lady at Fiat who I had dealt with who asked for copies of service invoices and said she would reconsider. All sent ! 3 services in 3 years. First 2 with supplying dealer in Chesterfield ( another clue) who was also a Fiat Pro centre ( until Fiat took it off them) and my local garage who did a superb service and 1st mot last week. I await the response.
Plan B will be to have it repaired by the company in Southampton that many of you have used.
Betting is now open on the response from Fiat!
Cheers
Bernie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry to hear that Bernie, hope Fiat deliver the goods!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Well my guess is that FIAT will come back and say (y).
If they don't you could consider action under Sale of Goods Act as this is a known, as admitted by FIAT, inherent fault.
Or, bite the bullet and get a Cartronix fix.

ps we've had ours replaced twice under warranty and another part under goodwill.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well my guess is that FIAT will come back and say (y).
If they don't you could consider action under Sale of Goods Act as this is a known, as admitted by FIAT, inherent fault.
Or, bite the bullet and get a Cartronix fix.

ps we've had ours replaced twice under warranty and another part under goodwill.
that's the issue though fiat won't admit the issue is poor quality components so even the replacements are faulty. cartronix use top quality parts in their repair so can offer the lifetime warranty

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would expect a part offer maybe 2/3 as you had 2 out of 3 services by Fiat, I am sure there is something that doesn't make you have main dealer services but also think it must help with goodwill gestures (y)

best of luck with it, but to be honest I wouldn't be bothering and go for the £150 guaranteed fix (y)(y)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
My Guess is the dealership didn`t phone Fiat at all, I had the same issue a couple of months ago with my Fiat being 12months out of warranty and the lady I spoke to in Milan couldn`t have been more helpful, I explained the problem told her I was out of the 3 year warranty, she said she would phone me back, which she did within the hour saying Fiat will cover the full cost of a new instrument panel, doesn`t take long to fit at all, just a couple of screws and out it pops, takes longer to run it through the computer.

If I was you I would phone Fiat yourself and explain the fault to them.

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Thx Guys. I agree that Fiat Customer Service are good. I approached them first and I will wait to see what the Fiat pro dealer says after sending Fiat Customer Service the service invoices. Would not be at all surprised if garage hadn't spoken to Fiat but how stupid if so.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Out of interest as my airbag light has come on, what is the known problem with the Fiat dash ?

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Same fault on ours .main dealer said out of warranty . Rang fiat UK put me in touch with fiat in Italy who said as goodwill it will be free as it's a known issue. Same happened with faulty turbo sensor which broke due to scuttle leak.

Ring fiat.

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Just for clarity guys: I have rung Fiat. They were great. I will be ringing them again if I am told by the garage anything other than " Fiat will pay everything"

Deleted User
HI, The faults vary. In my case, if I turn on Cruise Control the warning lights for low fuel and water in diesel filter both come on.
Obviously you want it fixed, however, is it safety, reliability issue if it is not fixed? My Fiat is just over 3 years old and I occasionally get the odd dashboard light issue, if you dont get it fixed does it actually cause a problem do you happen to know?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Well known fault -- Turn on cruise and 2 warning lights dimly glow. 3 years old to the day. Local garage services and last week ( motorhomer who has had same issue) Suggests I ring Fiat Customer Service. Great response from them, said known fault, ask me to ring Fiat Pro Dealer and get them tp look at it. Can't promise but it is a known problem and we will look at the goodwill claim sympathetically. I contact a Fiat Pro Dealer last friday. Pop in next week and we can checkout. Arrived at their place in York (CLUE) this morning and the lady receptionist was great. Asked her colleague who was sat next to her if he could nip and check the issue and get the number they required. Shocked to hear him say, in front of us, I am busy they will have to wait! ( My management glared at me to make sure I didn't respond in my normal manner) Eventually after 10 mins he got off his arse and went to our vehicle. The girl took all the details she needed and we went out to see Mr Happy. His comment as he gave me the keys back was : 3 years old and out of warranty-- doubt you will get anything from Fiat! Apparently £850 part plus fitting. I left annoyed! Girl rang later to say Fiat said no Goodwill at all. She said she had then rung the lady at Fiat who I had dealt with who asked for copies of service invoices and said she would reconsider. All sent ! 3 services in 3 years. First 2 with supplying dealer in Chesterfield ( another clue) who was also a Fiat Pro centre ( until Fiat took it off them) and my local garage who did a superb service and 1st mot last week. I await the response.
Plan B will be to have it repaired by the company in Southampton that many of you have used.
Betting is now open on the response from Fiat!
Cheers
Bernie

At least if they don't you can go back a slap the ignorant mr happy . I'd have had to say something even the polite version. Couldn't have stood for that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Obviously you want it fixed, however, is it safety, reliability issue if it is not fixed? My Fiat is just over 3 years old and I occasionally get the odd dashboard light issue, if you dont get it fixed does it actually cause a problem do you happen to know?

Depends on what lights light up. get the abs one or air bag & it's an mot failure

OP
OP
Ber090

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
My worry is that things can develop. If Fiat are using crap parts inside the cluster how can I be sure it won't become safety issue.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Mine is 2012, heading to Cornwall and low water light comes on !! Just approaching services so head in and turn off cruise control. Light goes out, check water level and it is OK.
Back on the road, turn on cruise and light comes on then goes out when cruise turned off.
Oddly that was in June, no problem since.

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
I had this problem when my van was about 2 years old but I had quite a few dimly lit and they were on with or without cruise control. Took it to a Fiat dealer and even though I told them it was probably the dash, they changed the body computer and spent a few days looking into it. They then told me because it was a motorhome the problem could have been caused by the conversion. To cut a long story short after a couple of weeks of arguing with them they decided to try a dash out of a new van. To their surprise it worked. After putting in a new dash it worked well for another two years and then I get the problem with the lights coming on with cruise control. I haven't bothered getting it fixed and its made no difference to the operation of the vehicle as its just the dash. When I put it in for MOT I turn the cruise control off just in case.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is what our dash cluster looked like when cruise control switched on.

upload_2017-11-6_18-22-26.png

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The airbag light is a known issue with Ducatos. When you switch on, the light comes on fully, then drops back to being dimly lit. It's entirely down to the instrument cluster, not an airbag fault. Some MOT testers can be picky about it. Try to get your MOT done on a sunny day.

Reactions: DBK
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Airbag light is normally a faulty airbag ECU, several on here have had it me included.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Airbag light is normally a faulty airbag ECU, several on here have had it me included.
and seat wiring becoming damaged by turning the seats. and to a lesser extent the spring contact behind the steering wheel

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
It sounds very poor overall quality from Fiat. Good heavens I hope Peugeot boxer use better dash parts as we will be a new one next year.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I found FIAT really helpful when we had a problem a couple of years back. The FIAT-PRO people were also very good and we had a free service as well as the fault rectified. It did cost money to get home via public transport and taxi which we didn't get back (the vehicle had to be left with FIAT-PRO as they needed parts to fix the problem)

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I've just developed this problem on my Peugeot boxer. The coolant warning light is showing, it is very dim. Checked the coolant and it's fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back