Mar 4, 2008
essex/london
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
since 2008
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE GEARBOX IN A 2008 3500Kg CHASSIS WOULD BE THE SAME AS
a 2014 4250kg AS SOFAR I HAVE FOUND THE NEW ONE SLOW BY COMPARISON?.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
It may have slightly lower ratios due to the extra weight capacity.
the engine output power will be slightly higher in the 2014 from the equivalent engine size of 2008 although it will have more emissions control stuff on it.
The up side to lower ratios is less chance of the old reverse judder occurring.
But basically if you are comparing a 3 litre of 2008 to a brand new 2014 3 litre the new one should be better but the gearbox will more or less be the same.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
It may have slightly lower ratios due to the extra weight capacity.
the engine output power will be slightly higher in the 2014 from the equivalent engine size of 2008 although it will have more emissions control stuff on it.
The up side to lower ratios is less chance of the old reverse judder occurring.
But basically if you are comparing a 3 litre of 2008 to a brand new 2014 3 litre the new one should be better but the gearbox will more or less be the same.

If it is the comfortmatic (as in the title of the thread) it won't have judder in reverse anyway.
That only occurs with the manual box. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Since 2010 I believe that a modified 2.3lt gearbox has been fitted due to problems with those before then (juddergate etc) therefore it could be that the 3lt one was also 'improved' as well.

Don't forget that you are pulling a heavier vehicle and if you use the whole available payload it means that you're moving 4250kg which is 21% MORE than the 3500kg one, therefore I'm not surprised that the newer one would be slower, also due to the changes that have been made regarding emissions for new engines this may also have some effect on the power/torque.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Since 2010 I believe that a modified 2.3lt gearbox has been fitted due to problems with those before then (juddergate etc) therefore it could be that the 3lt one was also 'improved' as well.

Don't forget that you are pulling a heavier vehicle and if you use the whole available payload it means that you're moving 4250kg which is 21% MORE than the 3500kg one, therefore I'm not surprised that the newer one would be slower, also due to the changes that have been made regarding emissions for new engines this may also have some effect on the power/torque.

Mines a 3ltr 2011 manual model.
It judders.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Fiat still say the 3.0ltr has no problems. That's why I bought an older 2.8jtd

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
If the op means that the actual changes are slower, I think I read somewhere that the auto box for 2014 is different in the way that it changes gears.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
My IH is a 3 ltr with a Comfortmatic gearbox and runs faultless. It's a pleasure to drive. Nearly all commercial vehicles are now fitted with robotic clutch gearboxes and for me the Volvos lead the way. Some years ago I had a bad experience with a Merc EPS gearbox, "Electro Pneumatic Shift" but the gremlin was eventually resolved. I think there might be the odd manufacturer who still puts Torque converter gearboxes in but not in heavy commercial vehicles.
As far as the power output of the 3 Ltr 160 is concerned, in a motorhome it's like a prancing horse. I've heard that the 2.3Ltr 150 is nothing like the 3 Ltr in Comfortmatic form and by comparison is sluggish.
I think I've mentioned previously the high mileages that are done with 3 Ltr Comfortmatic gearboxes in Ambulances that are on the roads 24/7. They are doing a minimum of 250,000 miles, obviously serviced on a regular basis, the clutches are doing a minimum of 75,000 miles, some many more, before they need replacing. This information was given to me by the service manager at Walton Truck Services, Bamber Bridge, Preston.
If anyone has any doubts about buying a Comfortmatic then all I would say is it's unfounded.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I spent this morning at a dealers looking at 3ltr mercedes automatics , the sales staff were favouring the 'torque convertor' EPS box over the 7G tronic, claiming the EPS to be a 'proper automatic' . Just getting back and reading the comments above, I think I need to do more research......:rolleyes:

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I recently hired a swift escape 624 with a manual 2.2Ltr engined and it performed really well.

I am planning to buy a new van with a Comfortmatic gearbox. It will be a 2.3Ltr-130 Multijet pulling 3500kg. Will there be any issues with respect to pulling power?

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
I have a 2.3 150 Comfortmatic pulling less than 3500kg. Goes OK. I'm quite happy with it. However, 1st to 2nd can be quite slow and its best to rev up in 1st. A previous Ford 2.4 I owned was the same. Trouble is, the gearbox likes to change up to 2nd early on, leaving a considerable power gap. I sometimes choose to pull away in manual from rest, especially on hillstarts. Another irritation is that the manual change works in the opposite direction to my car's DSG box. So it's forward to shift down.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Another irritation is that the manual change works in the opposite direction to my car's DSG box. So it's forward to shift down.
Know what you mean, I have had various autos with up/down and sideways. I try to stay in auto now for that reason because I have two cars with different auto boxes; don't get me started on windscreen wipers, lights and cruise control :rolleyes: I guess I will be on a learning curve of where and when it's best to use manual or "auto".

cheers (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mines a 3ltr 2011 manual model.
It judders.
Ah, but what YEAR was the base chassis actually built? It could be an older base which was converted and registered in 2011.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Ah, but what YEAR was the base chassis actually built? It could be an older base which was converted and registered in 2011.

It is 2011 and was registered in 2012 when I bought it.
Had the chassis date confirmed by North East Truck and Van (Iveco main dealers) when it went in to have a check on why it juddered in reverse (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am planning to buy a new van with a Comfortmatic gearbox. It will be a 2.3Ltr-130 Multijet pulling 3500kg. Will there be any issues with respect to pulling power?
The comfortmatic is essentially a manual gearbox with hydraulic rams changing gear and operating the clutch so there are no losses of the sort you get with a torque converter automatic.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
sorry it was not meant to be sarcastic I was worried about the reports at the time and IH advised me to pay the extra and I would be pleased I have to reverse up a slope within a small gap and it does that with ease

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
sorry it was not meant to be sarcastic I was worried about the reports at the time and IH advised me to pay the extra and I would be pleased I have to reverse up a slope within a small gap and it does that with ease

I didn't think that you were being sarcastic at all. :)
Just offering your opinion, and as it happens, you were correct.
If I was ever in the position to be able to buy another MH that is the option I would choose. (y)

Campfos

Free Member
Jul 6, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have taken delivery of a new motorhome Sunlight T66 which has a great layout for us. Now it has a comfortmatic gearbox which does not seem to work too well. It stopped changing gear after 86 mile the Fiat assist man ( RAC man) he came out to me and found 3 error codes which he removed and it worked fine after that. But as a precaution I took it to the Local Fiat professional place. They checked it out and found some wiring fault which they fixed. Now took it for an run the other week worked ok no problems but was out in it today and the red warning came up twice but it still was working ok.
So it will go back to Fiat again for checking anyone

Campfos

Free Member
Jul 6, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Should have asked has anyone else had these problems with this gear box.
Pressed the post button too soon there.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When wiring problems are mentioned as the cause of fault codes appearing especially on new motorhomes it makes you wonder if the looms could have been disturbed when sparkies wire in alarm systems and other add ons that the ECU's don't or wont recognise.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Oh dear, pick mine up next month, should I be worried?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh dear, pick mine up next month, should I be worried?
Had no problems with ours - except user induced ones like trying to move the lever without putting your foot on the brake first! It takes a while to get used to its foibles but I wouldn't be without it now.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The Comfortmatic gearbox has to be driven and owned to realise just how good it is, you will always come across scare mongering, usually from people who live in a time warp and have never had one. I am now on my second and it runs faultless. You have to accept that it is a robotic gearbox with a clutch and not coupled to a torque converter so the operation once it is on the move is totally automatic unless you select manual mode. Where I live I have to reverse up hill into a designated parking area on my property and the gearbox is totally trouble free with no so called judder whatsoever. On the open road it behaves just like a normal manual gearbox and because it is a 3ltr has more than ample power that keeps it in top gear even when overtaking and going up the steepest of hills. I've never had the opportunity to drive a 2.3 150 Comfortmatic, but I don't think I would want to either, as I've said this is my second 3ltr Comfortmatic but I've also owned a 3ltr manual which surprisingly was far more thirsty than the Comfortmatics. If anyone is considering buying one then all I can say is go ahead, you'll enjoy it, a totally stress free driving experience.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No test drive, didn't feel the need, would that have made a difference do you think?

Err...yes you might not like it, not all are convinced by it. Most campers spend most of their time on open road in top gear...I dont see the point to be honest, from what i have read about this semi auto system..if you have a medical problem it maybe makes sense. I have friends who are for and against who have them

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I know it is not like a torque converter auto but having driven autos for over 15 years I don't think I will take too much convincing. I have had autos with up/down, down/up and sideways so using the manual function will be no problem once I am used to it. The open roads are not the issue its the scenic routes will hills and winding roads that I hope to get the benefits. There will always be fors and against, that's why life isn't boring, i.e. we are not all the same (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back