fiat chassis/suspension noise (1 Viewer)

jimmob

Free Member
Aug 20, 2011
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built?
Exp
since 2009
Hello everyone, i hope this is posted in the right place! Having just returned from 2 weeks travelling down to Biarritz in France I was almost driven insane by the squeaking/groaning noise from the rear axle area of our motorhome. Its a 09 Ci Mizar garage. When driving over uneven roads, speed ramps etc its realy loud and really embarrassing until the suspension settles! I know very little about this sort of thing and am unsure where to grease/replace parts etc. Its got 2 springs and air suspension too?
I would be really grateful if anyone knows what to do or get in touch if they have had similar problems. I did ask the dealer but he said that all Fiats do this !

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hello everyone, i hope this is posted in the right place! Having just returned from 2 weeks travelling down to Biarritz in France I was almost driven insane by the squeaking/groaning noise from the rear axle area of our motorhome. Its a 09 Ci Mizar garage. When driving over uneven roads, speed ramps etc its realy loud and really embarrassing until the suspension settles! I know very little about this sort of thing and am unsure where to grease/replace parts etc. Its got 2 springs and air suspension too?
I would be really grateful if anyone knows what to do or get in touch if they have had similar problems. I did ask the dealer but he said that all Fiats do this !

WD40 sprayed around the hangers now and again should solve it other thing is if you got air suspension and it is pumped too high this can also cause it :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
WD40 on the spring hangers and bush's is fine short term but it does dry out.

a quality aerosol type 'rubber lube' grease from a motor factors will last longer.

failing that, the spring hanger bolts may be seizing in the bush's and will need removing, cleaning and greasing

could also be one or more of the spring leaf thin rubber separator pads has disappeared allowing the leafs to rub together....if it ever had them fitted, some do some dont.

and the odd thing.....i've had two fiat bases and neither squeaked or grinded so it sounds like the dealer couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I believe you have an AlKo chassis on that van so it is extremely important to have the axle serviced correctly. These are well known for seizing up if not greased very regularly and eventually snapping suspension. leading to huge bills

many garages have no idea about the special way of doing this. basically the van needs jacking up at the rear with the wheels hanging down, then grease the axle tube until you see it appear at the hub bearing. failing to do this properly leaves the suspension bars inside the axle under pressure and un greased

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I believe you have an AlKo chassis on that van so it is extremely important to have the axle serviced correctly. These are well known for seizing up if not greased very regularly and eventually snapping suspension. leading to huge bills

many garages have no idea about the special way of doing this. basically the van needs jacking up at the rear with the wheels hanging down, then grease the axle tube until you see it appear at the hub bearing. failing to do this properly leaves the suspension bars inside the axle under pressure and un greased

could be wrong but....

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Link Removed

this roadtest mentions the addition of alko air suspension, so presumed it must be an alko chassis. it would explain the creaking and groaning of the suspension

OP
OP
J

jimmob

Free Member
Aug 20, 2011
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built?
Exp
since 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It sounds like a dealer solution as I have very little idea of of where /what to grease/uncease! If only I could find a dealer who was interested in taking a look. Its booked in at Geoff Cox in 2 weeks so i will ask them to take a look again. If I sound like I might know something about it it may push them into action! Does anyone know where you can get a maintenance schedule/details from Alko about what is to be done ..... or do they have recommended dealers/service centres who would be willing to take a look?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
easiest way to ascertain if it has an Aklo chassis is get down and have a look.

an Alko chassis will be bare silver/grey metal....probably dull silver/grey

a standard Fiat chassis will be painted white or possibly black and may be rusty in places.

an Alko chassis does not have visible springs.

a standard Fiat chassis has visible springs.

Alko axle has one, or possibly two depending on how old, grease nipples on the ends of the axle tube and should be greased at least once a year with the body weight taken off the axle.
failure to grease can lead to the torsion bars seizing or even snapping

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
If its an alko chassis and I think it is it looks like this and has a plate somewhere like this

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back