Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome
Exp
2 years
I have just received my insurance renewal from safeguard. £490 including breakdown cover. I have had a look around and can bring that down to £240 without breakdown.

Question is, we have a new van so have Fiat Camper assistance. Is this any good and is it adequate when compared to cover offered by Safeguard, RAC etc.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Hi
I hope so, we are off to Spain in a week and have fiat camper assist. We do not have other breakdown cover. We looked hard at the details and IF it is a good as its word it will fit the bill. It has breakdown , theft, puncture help.
We of course have separate cover for theft and health, but are using camper assist as breakdown.
I did ask if anyone has a bad experience but didn't get anything back.
Anyway fingers crossed!
LC

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
insurance is for emergency's. if a disaster happens, crash etc.... how do you get the van and yourselves home?...does camper assist cover repatriation? May be wrong but I don't think so!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
We checked this out and IF they cannot fix the van in a stated number of days repatriation is included. Also a sole return flight if the van stays in Europe and we have to pick it up. We did check the fine details as I have stressed about this one, it seems to cover all we need. But I do trust you lot so will check the book again
LC

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I
I have just received my insurance renewal from safeguard. £490 including breakdown cover. I have had a look around and can bring that down to £240 without breakdown.

Question is, we have a new van so have Fiat Camper assistance. Is this any good and is it adequate when compared to cover offered by Safeguard, RAC etc.

I would do a bit of checking around as that sounds expensive to me, have a look on 'Search' at the top put in insurance I am sure a few more quotes would be worth while .

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Safeguard have been known to give high quotes as of late.
Shop about and get other quotes ie Comfort. Plus try bartering them down, . No point in being loyal these days...
I will state is again, back in January Safeguard quoted me £499 !! I laughed and told them they were way off the mark as I was only paying £340 with Comfort.. BINGO.. £299 !!! Result...

Personally I prefer the all in one package, I know it's not everyone's cup on tea but on the 3 foreign breakdowns and 1 major accident that we have had, it has been helpful to be able to have Safeguard there as they helped to maintain contact and get things sorted.

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Yes if the van cannot be repaired within 5 days they will repatriate unrepaired motorhome. It seems all warranties are different, we have a Hobby and 3 years full camper assist.
We do have comfort insurance as well - and that has cover abroad. So just breakdown from Fiat.
So also covered for, wrong fuel, lack of fuel.,Puncture, loss, of keys, keys locked inside.
Obviously only within the warranty period and converter specific.
Just hope it works !
LC

OP
OP
A

adrkjr

Free Member
Jan 13, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome
Exp
2 years
Thanks for the replies. Safeguard are way off the mark and I will call them to discuss. The lower quotes I have do not all include breakdown cover and I am guessing safeguard will argue that it's not a like for like quote.
Reason for the original question is if fiat camper is adequate might as well save the extra money and insure without breakdown as an add on.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We have breakdown full European and it's no where near that amount just over £320 .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back