Fiat Camper Assist (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
We are travelling to France and Spain next week and I hav ejust thought about breakdown cover.

It's a new van (6months old). Is Fiat Camper Assist automatic? Should I have registered somewhere for acamper assist?

Also, would they cover something like a flat tyre? Obviously that is not a warranty type breakdown so not sure how that affects it.

Anyone used Fiat Camper Assist? Is it ok or should I be looking at another breakdown cover too?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We are travelling to France and Spain next week and I hav ejust thought about breakdown cover.

It's a new van (6months old). Is Fiat Camper Assist automatic? Should I have registered somewhere for acamper assist?

Also, would they cover something like a flat tyre? Obviously that is not a warranty type breakdown so not sure how that affects it.

Anyone used Fiat Camper Assist? Is it ok or should I be looking at another breakdown cover too?
all you have to do is create an account having Dealt with Fiat Camper assist its like any other new vehicle that comes with breakdown cover for x years it works. edited to say you don't have to register but just call the help desk number as long as your vehicle was registered at the time of sale as sold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
What you are assuming is that the DVLA notify Fiat that the vehicle has been registered and therefor sold but truly it does not work like that.

Any vehicle could be registered with the DVLA but not sold.

An example is I have a VW Transporter it was registered with the DVLA November 2019, I am the first owner and it was sold to me by the dealer in early March 2020, the warranty starts at the time of purchase which is March 2020 not November 2019........

When I purchased my Hymer from TyneValley the chief order taker at the time told me that the Hymer would notify Fiat, then he told me it was the DVLA who would notify Fiat. So after visiting several Fiat Professional Garages who could see the VIN on the system and said the vehicle had not been sold I contacted Fiat professional Camper and the nice Italian lady put me in touch with Adams Morey who registered the vehicle so the warranty period could start and arranged for the extended Warranty.
No. I was suggesting that Fiat could (if needed) find out from the DVLA when the vehicle was registered - as anyone can. I wouldn't expect DVLA to be able to anything as complex as informing anyone of anything!!! :LOL:

Mine was registered the date I took delivery. Not previously registered even though I imagine it was on the dealers forecourt for quite a while.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No. I was suggesting that Fiat could (if needed) find out from the DVLA when the vehicle was registered - as anyone can. I wouldn't expect DVLA to be able to anything as complex as informing anyone of anything!!! :LOL:

Mine was registered the date I took delivery. Not previously registered even though I imagine it was on the dealers forecourt for quite a while.
Fiat expect their dealers to be on the ball, which most are. The issue is Motorhome dealers not all but many just make it up as they go along.

it’s the dealer who informs Fiat not the dvla and the U.K. being only one of many countries can your really expect Fiat or any other manufacture going around the world checking DVLA style records.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Not quite my point but not to worry.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I do not understand why mh buyers whose dealer fails to add it on to the fiat assistance programme & inform buyers of the need to register for the extended warranty witin the 15 days, do not sue the dealer to be held responsible for any type of fault from years 3-5.
They would soon get the message.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
So I rang Fiat UK. I was told by a very helpful man that there is no need to register anything. All he wanted to know was my number plate. He was quite clear that no other details were required.

Without prompting he went on to give me lots of details about the cover and what would happen if we broke down in France or Spain. Apparently they will not repair at the roadside in Spain - not allowed. On a motorway in France you have to be recovered to a local garage by the local authorities and then Fiat will take over from there. Hotel and basic replacement car included. 3 years Roadside assist even though it's only 2 years warranty.

I felt assured enough to cancel my breakdown cover.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I do not understand why mh buyers whose dealer fails to add it on to the fiat assistance programme & inform buyers of the need to register for the extended warranty witin the 15 days, do not sue the dealer to be held responsible for any type of fault from years 3-5.

I would imagine that any warranty cover by that point is quite basic. (not checked this particular one) I did consider it when I got my van in April but decided not to bother. A lot of 'wear and tear' clauses come into play in these 'extended warranties'. I had one on a car once and it wasn't really worth the paper it was written on.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It was close I managed to get the extended warranty, I did email the dealer and explained that if I missed the deadline for extended warranty I would look to them to cover any cost that would be coverd by Fiat warranty during that period.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I would imagine that any warranty cover by that point is quite basic. (not checked this particular one) I did consider it when I got my van in April but decided not to bother. A lot of 'wear and tear' clauses come into play in these 'extended warranties'. I had one on a car once and it wasn't really worth the paper it was written on.
The extended warranty is the same as terms for the first two years.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I did email the dealer and explained that if I missed the deadline for extended warranty I would look to them to cover any cost that would be coverd by Fiat warranty during that period.
I like that, if dealers started feeling it in their pockets they might learn to do their job properly. A liability for failing to explain limited payloads and handing motorhomes over before they are showing as registered with the DVLA might help them get their act together too.

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Recently broke down in France. Three year old van, 5 year extended warranty. Rang fiat assist (Rac) who would not help at all despite me telling them constantly that I have the 5 year cover. So rang fiat Italy explained my situation to a very nice lady who must have kicked some bottoms. About an hour later Rac rang asking if we had been recovered yet?
It took 5 and a half hours for us to be recovered to a garage where the diagnosed we needed a new alternator and arranged for it to be fitted next day. They plugged us in for the night made sure we we ok for water Ect.
If you are having any problems with the rac, to contact Italy, ring the fiat assist number in your hand book, wait to the end of the options and select any other countries, 31 I think.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Recently broke down in France. Three year old van, 5 year extended warranty. Rang fiat assist (Rac) who would not help at all despite me telling them constantly that I have the 5 year cover. So rang fiat Italy explained my situation to a very nice lady who must have kicked some bottoms. About an hour later Rac rang asking if we had been recovered yet?
It took 5 and a half hours for us to be recovered to a garage where the diagnosed we needed a new alternator and arranged for it to be fitted next day. They plugged us in for the night made sure we we ok for water Ect.
If you are having any problems with the rac, to contact Italy, ring the fiat assist number in your hand book, wait to the end of the options and select any other countries, 31 I think.
Each manufacturer of new cars tend to have has a help desk, I have a number for My VW's to call and the Fiat assist number is stuck to my sun visor. I agree if you get through to the international help desk they really do try and help.

Upvote 0
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
There are some funny quirks with Fiat Asist though. We have an IH and they’re not on Fiats list of converters so we only had one year but we have the 3 year warranty. Must admit we didn’t realise with our first IH but we bought that one from Nick Whale, never again!

Upvote 0

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I have had a problem many years ago when the engine blow up in more ways the one
Fiat Uk told us while sitting in a lay-by in France that the vehicle was not in warranty just 4 months old
It was of course
Bring the point up to date I tock my new motor home for a short service before travelling to Spain at which time we were advised that there was a call back on the vehicle we did not know any thing about it
The Fiat garage advised that the vehicle was not registered.
To be fair they sorted it out for us with a copy of the log book and registered the vehicle
I would advise always check that the vehicle is registered with Fiat
Because when you break down in other country with a new van .And being told the vehicle does not have a warranty
Tends to give a real shock

Upvote 0

ICD99MS

Free Member
Sep 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail tracker rb
I'm thinking for the sake of less than £100 I might take out cover just to be sure. I guess it would be more extensive in terms of hotels, car hire, repatriation etc anyway.

Some issues I have noted whilst looking around though. Some breakdown companies say only up to 7 metres (ours is 7.5) and some say up to 3500KG ( I've upgraded mine to 4350KG.)

Technically I may still be 3500 they would only be able to tell by the V5. Doubt any recovery operator would check. They might notice if it was half a metre too long though.

Where do longer/heavier motorhomes go to?
Green flag no limits

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
There are some funny quirks with Fiat Asist though. We have an IH and they’re not on Fiats list of converters so we only had one year but we have the 3 year warranty. Must admit we didn’t realise with our first IH but we bought that one from Nick Whale, never again!
I suspect that main line Converters have such volumes that the vehicles are supplied directly via the Fiat Professional Camper program, it may be that for smaller converters the program may not be so attractive, I suspect it may cost converters something to be part of that program an have to sign up to certain volume of base vehicles. Not saying its right or wrong but maybe how it is.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have had a problem many years ago when the engine blow up in more ways the one
Fiat Uk told us while sitting in a lay-by in France that the vehicle was not in warranty just 4 months old
It was of course
Bring the point up to date I tock my new motor home for a short service before travelling to Spain at which time we were advised that there was a call back on the vehicle we did not know any thing about it
The Fiat garage advised that the vehicle was not registered.
To be fair they sorted it out for us with a copy of the log book and registered the vehicle
I would advise always check that the vehicle is registered with Fiat
Because when you break down in other country with a new van .And being told the vehicle does not have a warranty
Tends to give a real shock
Absolutely, not all Motorhome dealers as we and others have found out know or can be bothered to get the vehicles registered which kicks the brake down and warranty in allowing a smooth claims process unfortunately some who would have purchased extended warranty missed out due to the lack of professionalism of these motorhome dealers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
I phoned Fiat Camper Assist main helpline (in Italy) to check if my WildAx was registered. It wasn't. However, I was asked to email a copy of the V5C to confirm the registration date/ownership and they registered me within 24 hours. The ladies answering the phones in Italy spoke perfect English and were extremely helpful. They even called back twice on my mobile to confirm that I had now been fully registered for warranty and breakdown.
They said that while we wouldn't have had a problem in the UK, it may have been problematic abroad if we were not on their database and had a breakdown. It may have helped that I had already put my details into an account on Fiat's 'My Camper' website: https://owners.mopar.eu/camper/camper-uk/en/login

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Is it time to start naming and shaming the dealers who don’t know their job? At the very least they should be telling their customers they need to contact a Fiat Professional. It would give other buyers a chance to make sure they get their motorhomes on the Fiat database and buy the extended warranty and recovery if they want it.

We could also name the dealers who get it right. Two years ago Chelston Motorhomes did the paperwork and also sold me the extended Fiat warranty. Chelston. ☑️

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
took fiat assist 9 days to get us recovered , the back wheels were not even on the recovery truck but on the ramps & held up by the spec lift , the front wheels of the recovery truck were barely on the ground
once recovered we were then twice asked to leave the hotel as fiat hadn’t paid the bill ( even after pre prompting them )
I guess fiat don’t pay their fiat professional garages well as no one wanted to repair us ,typically quoting 15 day to look at it , it took many phone calls & determination to get it fixed , same problem on 2 different occasions

C7E27198-315E-4565-8B15-E07E274D1CE3.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I have registered but it doesn't recogonise my vin. Well it does and then when I try to add it it says my vehicle is pre 2005 or another manufacturer. The website seems a little glitchy.View attachment 541613
You mentioned that you spoke with Fiat UK but call Fiat Professional Camper they have an international help desk in Italy, Fiat UK may be great for commercial vehicles but if you having an issue as others have said they do seem to help.

Upvote 0

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Well, after doing a little searching I came across recommendations for Nationwide Flexplus account. I have a standard nationwide account so upgrading took minutes online.

£13 a month which gives me and the wife travel insurance, breakdown for all our cars, including up to 8 metre and 7.5 ton motorhome and mobile phone cover too. As we needed travel insurance anyway it was a no brainer. Just gives a little more confidence rather than just the Fiat assist.
We have had Nationwide Flexplus Insurances for years, and even though they've reduced the available cover from what it used to be, it is still worth the account charge. They include Winter sports as well, and cover your cars and motorhomes, here and abroad. And are quite happy to extend the cover over the 31 days, obviously for a charge.

Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Off the back of this thread and the fact I am planning to go abroad soon I checked mine with Fiat Camper Assist.

Not registered. Camper was first registered in June.

So now to rectify ….

Daniel.

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2020
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
This thread prompted me to ask FIAT Camper Assist today, whether our Globecar was registered with them when we bought it in UK in February 2021. They replied by return saying that it is registered with them and that the Camper Assist scheme would apply to our van in UK and Europe for three (3) years from date of purchase.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back