Chopsticks

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Shire Phoenix 2XL
Exp
Newbie!
We've just collected our new, long awaited motor home from Shire.
We're sooo pleased with it - Shire have far exceeded our expectations! (y) Definitely worth the wait!
During lockdown we're taking the opportunity to familiarise ourselves with all the control panels etc so by the time we're released by Boris we should be good to go!
Meanwhile we need to sort out some sort of breakdown cover for the future- have seen that Fiat offer Fiat Camper Assist for all Ducato based motorhomes but Shire didn't know anything about this.
Does anyone know how you register for this? - Their website doesn't give any clues as to how to do this.
Is it worth having or would it be better to purchase breakdown cover courtesy of the AA. RAC or similar?
Many thanks all!

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
You should have documentation with your new motorhome, if not then ask your dealer.
Regarding AA RAC etc you don't need them if you have fiat camper assist.
We broke down in France 2 years ago, and they looked after us, including 4 nights in an hotel with a courtesy car

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
May 1, 2015
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Rapido C86 Auto
Exp
Since 2014
Shire should register your new motorhome with Fiat, you will then have 3 years free breakdown cover.
You could also then pay to extend the cover, breakdown and warranty for up to 5 years in total, but that needs to be done within 15 days of the sale date.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think your dealer has to register it or a Fiat assist dealer ? Don't wste time though as it has to be done within 15 days of collection

• Informative
Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Chopsticks

You may find something useful on this earlier thread.......

Upvote 0

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We extended the cover to five years we thought it worth the cost of just north of £800.All of that goes to Fiat which is possibly why the dealer is not interested.You can contact Fiat yourself but as has been said you've only got 2 weeks.I would go back to Shires and tell them to do their job.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
We extended the cover to five years we thought it worth the cost of just north of £800.All of that goes to Fiat which is possibly why the dealer is not interested.You can contact Fiat yourself but as has been said you've only got 2 weeks.I would go back to Shires and tell them to do their job.

We did the same, after the first lockdown. To explain, bought MH less than a week before march lockdown. (only night spent in it was at Vanbitz) so post lockdown had a recall sorted and asked local fiat dealer to have a look at the hand break. Shocked by comment, your vehicle isn't registered for Fiat warranty :eek:

Anyway to cut a longish story short, email Fiat (Italy) explained issue with lockdown and no understanding of 15 day time limit to buy extended warranty. bit of to and fro and phone calls.

Sorted as previous post £800 for 5 years breakdown and full warranty. based on that,, minus breakdown/recovery costs over that period it wasn't too bad. Had been bitten previously with issues on a comfortmatic clutch so couldn't loose in that respect.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fiat camper assist is standard for 3 years you shouldn't have to do anything on a UK bought van.
We have always imported our vans so needed to take the V5 to a Fiat dealer to get it registered on the system.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Its 2 years for vans converted outside the UK and 3 years for vans supplied to the UK convertors by Fiat UK.

I payed £866 for 3 further years 5 in total , Fiat Italy will put you onto Simon Potter at Adams Morey of Portsmouth simon.potter@adamsmorey.com

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Yep 2 for non uk built Van's, regardless o where sold.
Fiat warrant on the basis of the region/country the base vehicle is supplied

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Its 2 years for vans converted outside the UK and 3 years for vans supplied to the UK convertors by Fiat UK.
That's the warranty the breakdown cover is 3 years. I found out after I'd paid for cover for the 3rd year.
But do check your handbooks as these things can change.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Should of added you can get 1,2 or 3 extra years road side assist is included so not a bad deal really.

You have 15 days from registration to get the extra cover.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
That's the warranty the breakdown cover is 3 years. I found out after I'd paid for cover for the 3rd year.
But do check your handbooks as these things can change.

Quote from Fiat website:

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE
Travelling with peace of mind and free from worries means that in all places, on every road, roadside assistance can reach you anywhere, thanks to a dedicated, multilingual call centre.

The roadside assistance service for motorhomes on a Ducato or Talento base is free for the first 2 years from the initial registration date.

In the case of unforeseen events* (breakdown, fault, accident, puncture of one or more tyres, flat battery, etc.), the call centre puts you in touch with Fiat Camper Assistance, the roadside assistance team reserved for motorhome customers, active in 51 countries 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Also, if necessary, Europ Assistance works as an interpreter and remains in direct contact with the customer until the operation is completed and the motorhome starts off again.

Upvote 0

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
Was assured by Fiat that the extended warranty & breakdown cover was provided with same terms as the original warranty & breakdown provided when new.

Could see nothing in the extended warranty paperwork that indicated different terms.

Just need to make sure it's serviced as per manufacturer's guidance.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back