Fiat air conditioning belt (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have a 2008 Ducato based motorhome with 2.3 engine. Just had a service and they reported as an advisory that the air conditioning belt was "shredded". Not worn right through, but they said it nearly was. I gave them the go ahead to fix it but then they found that there are no belts in the country and they are awaiting delivery from Italy - should be in the country by 1 July and to them by 3 July they say. So I have picked up the motorhome and brought it back home.

The trouble is we were planning to be going away for a couple of weeks starting the middle of next week and that looks a bit tight. So I have a couple of questions for the experts on this forum please, because I know you will give me a more sensible answer than the garage!

Firstly am I right in thinking that this belt only turns when I turn the air con on? So if I left it off there should be no problem? Secondly, if it does break does it effect anything else, or does it just mean I won't have any air con? I am thinking I may well get it fixed once I get back.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I've just had a quick look online. Seems that there are a lot of outlets that have the belt in stock, including eBay :thumb:

Could it be possible that they want to only supply their own replacement items and that's why they're stating that they have to wait for delivery:Sad:

My thoughts are this: The belt will rotate no matter what, it's the compressor that runs when aircon is selected. I wouldn't be popping off anywhere without it first being replaced. Could lend to a whole heap of trouble on the side of some autobahn and no one wants that:whatthe:

Why not get one and supply it to the fitters and let them do the work. It'll probably be cheaper too. The worst case scenario is that you have your own one fitted and if you're uncomfortable, have it checked on your return:thumb:

Hope it helps and have a fab trip too, oh and keep us posted as we love to hear about your journeys ::bigsmile:

image.jpg

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for your thoughts. They are Fiat commercial dealers so only use Fiat spare parts. They won't fit non-fiat spares. Trouble in finding somebody else to do it any quicker I suspect even if I could get the part.

Are you sure it spins when the air con is not on? I thought there was some sort of clutch at the drive end that only engaged when air con was on and when the belt spun the compressor worked.

No autobahn this trip - having a look around good old blighty! Nothing arranged and nowhere certain to go, but wanted to get it done before the schools started breaking up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks for your thoughts. They are Fiat commercial dealers so only use Fiat spare parts. They won't fit non-fiat spares. Trouble in finding somebody else to do it any quicker I suspect even if I could get the part.

Are you sure it spins when the air con is not on? I thought there was some sort of clutch at the drive end that only engaged when air con was on and when the belt spun the compressor worked.

No autobahn this trip - having a look around good old blighty! Nothing arranged and nowhere certain to go, but wanted to get it done before the schools started breaking up.

Not 100% sure, just what I suspect that's all. Can you actually see it from under the bonnet. Identify the belt then run the engine with the aircon on and then off and see if it spins :thumb:

Still jealous at you roaming the land of good old Blighty :Smile:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
in most cases, the belt that runs the air con compressor rotates as long as the engine is running because it will be driven from the crank pulley, either directly, or via a jockey pulley. when you turn the air con on or off it then usually engages a clutch type set up which allows the air con pulley to connect or freewheel with the compressor unit . to be honest,in a emergency[ or not being able to get a new one] if i was in any doubt about the condition of a aircon belt IF IT ONLY runs the compressor, then i would remove it completely rather than risk it snapping and possibly feeding its way into the timing belt cover ! regards garry

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The belt will be driven from the crankshaft pulley and the clutch is in the aircon pulley, usually solenoid operated. The belt might also drive your alternator and power steering, so needs doing.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for everybody's help so far. I think I have found the belt - it is on the offside and to the front and below the main engine. And you were correct - the belt runs all the time not just when the air con runs

I don't know the fitter's definition of "shredded" but it ain't the same as mine. Frayed a bit at the edges is all I can see, and even then that is only in places.

It looks like the belt only runs the compressor, but I can't be sure. Could I ask if anybody knows for sure if it only runs the air con please on a Ducator 2.3 2008 model??

By the way I can't find a belt for mine on fleabay or the net. Plenty of air con belts for earlier models and cam and alternator belts for mine, but no air con belts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Another reason I would like to leave it until after I get back is that I have it booked in towards the end of July for a new cam belt at Johns Cross. They could do it at the same time and be cheaper than the main dealer I am sure. I would have got them to do the service and MOT as well but by the time I contacted them they were too busy to do it before the MOT ran out.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just to wrap this one up. They got the air con belt on Tuesday and fitted me in first thing Wednesday to get it fitted while I waited. (y) They quoted me £85 last week, but they only charged me £59. (y)(y)

All I can say is well done Crawley Down Group who are just outside East Grinstead. We are now off on some travels tomorrow. Heading Northish is all we are sure of.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back