Fiat 2.8 i.d.TD Fuel Filter Replacement (1 Viewer)

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dear Forum,
Assistance please. I have searched the Forum for help replacing the fuel filter on my recently acquired 1999 Ducato 2.8 i.d.TD Autotrail Scout without success. I have found posts relating to 2.8 JTD's but unfortunately I was only able to afford a vehicle built in the last century! But I can dream. My Local motor factors advised me that it could be one of three different types. Great! Any help would be much appreciated especially regarding the bleeding of the system. Thank you in anticipation (I must find out how to include photos in this post), Dave.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
2.8 id TD, great engine. Have you put your reg in the eurocarparts website and see what comes up? Should be a spin on version £20 max. :)

OP
OP
L

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dear Forum,
Thank you for your replies. Please accept my apologies for not replying sooner.
My main concerns at the time were the leaking housings, torque settings and special tools that I had read about in other discussions, but I need not have worried because none of them apply!
I took the bull by the horns and firstly removed the air filter and housing. Now I was able to see the number on the filter and obtain the correct replacement. I then disconnected the water-in-fuel sensor and gradually unscrewed the sensor from the bottom of the fuel filter, catching the fuel (about a litre) in a modified plastic container. It was then a simple (?) matter of unscrewing the old filter, removing the rubber sealing washer that had stuck to the underside of the filter holder, screwing the original water-in-fuel sensor on to the new filter, filling the new filter with fresh diesel, positioning the new rubber sealing washer, screwing the new filter onto the filter holder and finally reconnecting the water-in-fuel sensor. After refitting the air filter housing and filter, I turned the key and it fired up straight away without hesitation. It turns out that the water-in-fuel indicator still lights up and, as there was no evidence of water in the drained fuel, I will have to repeat most of the above when I replace the faulty sensor! I now feel that I have earned a "one spanner" accreditation for my efforts!
Thanks again.
Original filter assembly:
View media item 21985Water-in-fuel sensor disconnected:
View media item 21986Draining original filter:
View media item 21987Transfer water-in-fuel sensor to new filter:
View media item 21988Note missing washer still stuck to underside of filter holder:
View media item 21989

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I was about to post that if you fill the filter before fitting no priming needed but you have done the job now, well done, nice photos.
This is the beauty of the older engines, easier to work on.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
When i did mine recently, this type but on a 2.8jtd the old filter had a blanking plug in place of the water sensor, fortunately the new filter came with the sensor so i was able to connect up.
Yes an easy job compared to the later ones !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back