Fiat 2.3 first service.... Just need a price - doh.. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What do they find to do on a big service that isnt covered in a small sevice? From what i can gather on modern vehicles once oil and oil fuel and air filters are changed it does not leave much else. A bit of oil or greece on door hinges and bobs your uncle. They know how to charge do main dealers. BUSBY::bigsmile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you are being robbed before you start Phil...

the diesel particulate filter is part of the exhaust and is cleaned automatically by the ECU 'arranging' an unusually high exhaust temperature, in the region of 600degC, at open road speeds to oxidise the soot in the filter.

a new filter, which requires part dismantling of the exhaust, costs around £200 plus labour for most vehicles...ford, volvo etc.

a dealer can 'force' a regen if the warning light is on and only low speed/town driving is the norm.
this could be what they are charging for unnecessarily.

dpf regen requires higher speeds..

i agree that price was a rip off, my van is not due its 2 years until Feb next so i have not had the problem yet. the price i quoted was one given to me by a local FIAT motorhome dealer / service Fiat for a full Euro V service. i will not be availing myself of their facilities :ROFLMAO:
thanks for the clarification on the particulate filter, i was aware of the high temp exhaust regen and that extended town driving could be problem, and that typical motorway speeds and distances were where most regeneration would take place. i was also aware it was part of the exhaust system but was given the impression it was changeable...:whatthe: obviously not so.
i have a mechanical background although been out of it for a long time and the service manager defo said " particulate filter change".
should he and i meet again it will be an interesting conversation.:Eeek:

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; so the synthetic oil degrades after a certain use / miles / time and that has a greater adverse affect on the particulate filter.

so in theory;;;; if the oil is " in good order" regularly changed; and a good deal of motorway use is the norm then the light should never come on!

is this correct?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
From Fiat's own website FAQ,S

When should the first service be carried out?
Servicing must be carried out every 45,000 km (40,000 for 2.2 engines) on Euro 4 engines. Servicing must be carried out every 48,000 km on Euro 5 engines.
However, we do recommend, if the annual mileage is low, that the engine oil and brake fluid are changed every two years.
Between services, we recommend that you check the fluid levels and perform routine checks.
The actual interval for changing the oil and replacing the engine oil filter depends on the vehicle usage conditions and is signalled by the warning light or message (if present) in the instrument panel (see chapter “Warning lights and messages”) or every 24 months

I would never leave engine oil that long in an engine. Always changed my oils very regular. Have had van engines in excess of 300000 miles when in business and they were thrashed to death. Never ever engine problems. BUSBY:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back