Fiat 2.3 Euro 6 DPF Regeneration. (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
We have a fiat 2.3 euro 6 based motorhome which has covered 7000 miles. Upon returning home yesterday after a 100 mile run I noticed the cooling system fans were on when I was parking the motorhome. All temperatures were normal but the engine appeared to be hotter than usual. Also there was a slight smell of heat around the exhaust area. Is this normal. This has happened a couple of times over the past year. Is this caused by the DPF filter regenerating normally. As I under stand it on a normal regeneration there is no indication it is being done. There were no warning lights on the dash so I assume it was not a forced one. Would be grateful for any comment.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a 2018 2.3 180 fiat engine in ours and the fans do run very regularly can’t say whether there is a DPF light on it as never seen one.
On our Fiat Panda 4x4 diesel a light comes on when it’s regenerating.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This is out of our Fiat handbook there is a warning light

DPF (PARTICULATE FILTER) CLEANING UNDERWAY (for versions/markets, where provided) The warning light switches on when the ignition key is turned to MAR, but it should switch off after a few seconds. The warning light switches on constantly to inform the driver that the DPF system needs to eliminate the trapped pollutants (particulate) through the regeneration process. A specific message will appear on the display when the warning light comes on (for versions/markets, where provided).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
I don't think you would notice regeneration whilst driving but if it is still doing it when idling you may notice a hot smell and if you put your hand near the end of the exhaust the gasses coming out will be considerably hotter than normal. That's what I have noticed anyway and when the ecu was downloaded at service it said it had regenerated 16 times over the past year but only noticed it a couple of times.

OP
OP
ramsthom
Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
This is out of our Fiat handbook there is a warning light

DPF (PARTICULATE FILTER) CLEANING UNDERWAY (for versions/markets, where provided) The warning light switches on when the ignition key is turned to MAR, but it should switch off after a few seconds. The warning light switches on constantly to inform the driver that the DPF system needs to eliminate the trapped pollutants (particulate) through the regeneration process. A specific message will appear on the display when the warning light comes on (for versions/markets, where provided).

It also says that the warning light does not come on for all regenerations only when it is being driven in a manner that does not meet the regeneration process. I assume it would then do a forced regeneration.
What I really wanted to know is there a noticeable increase in engine/ exhaust temp when a normal regen is taking place.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
If i had a dpf fitted i'd add the dpf cleaner which goes in the tank every now and again - at least it would reduce any build-up and hopefully keep it a lot cleaner

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think yes the engine will become hotter as regeneration occurs, I tow a trailer with our car on so the engine revs are probably higher most of the time and it’s enough to not have forced regeneration, hence never had warning light on.
They do say drive in lower gear at higher revs for a short period to burn off particulates.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes, regenerations can occur in several ways. Firstly, you may be driving at sufficient speed and in conditions where the regeneration takes place without your knowledge or any intervention on the part of the vehicle. Sometimes, the vehicle may need to raise the temperature of the exhaust gases to carry out a regeneration. It does that in part by injecting additional fuel out of cycle (post injection) to raise the combustion temperature which is why you may experience an increase in the idle speed, activation of the cooling fans, an increase in fumes and a hotter than normal exhaust.
These regenerations are normal and occur without any notification to the driver.
Rarely, if several attempts at normal regenerations have failed, a warning message will appear on the dash to notify the driver that a regeneration is in progress. This is meant to let you know that you need to keep the vehicle running, preferably at around 2000 rpm or more, until the process has completed.

OP
OP
ramsthom
Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Thanks Deneb that explains the situation that occurred. Never had any warning lights over 7000 miles so its going through the regeneration process ok.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
On my car it switches the heated wing mirrors on when doing a regen. So what I have done is conected a small led light in the wing mirror at my side when it does a regen the led lights up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back