LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Got a fiammia 5.5 metre awning. When it's windy it flaps about a bit and have seen some fiammia bars to reduce this. So what I want to know is which bars are best the one that goes from end to end or the shorter ones that come out from the camper. Thanks in advance for all your good advice.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Only ever seen the ones that "come out from the camper"
Ideal for awnings that extend out up to 250cm, it adapts from min 144cm to max 265cm. length. you would need at least two on an awning that wide to be effective
Cant imagine one that would extend sideways 5.5 mtrs +
Primarily designed to stop water pooling, they can assist with flapping fabrics, Not recomended for extended use in hot weather as the bow it creates can stretch the fabric leaving an unholy saggy bit in the middle
Geo
ps you might want to look at RV De-flappers, as there is no arm to tie to on a Fiamma Awning they maybe adaptable to guy rope style fasting to ground, again watch what tension you apply
An example in pics

Attachments

• mO5nQFDjM5Qpp8AK2AJDq_w.jpg
    mO5nQFDjM5Qpp8AK2AJDq_w.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 32
  • ms3jo0hijZx6ovb7Pl1wsxA.jpg
    ms3jo0hijZx6ovb7Pl1wsxA.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
have looked at this problem as we get the same problem with a 3.6 mt awning. i find if i use ratchet straps as tie downs it reduces the flap but obviously tensions the awning which may not be a good thing in the long run although the manufactures sell expensive kits to do just this.
decided against the additional rafter type that sits a right angles to the van because most of the flapping is at the ends.
there are 2 type of longitudinal ones - 1 simple that seems to just sit on the arms and the other one that is raised up off the arms with some short supports.
if i was buying one i would go for the latter but it looks slightly more complicated to put in-place each time.
i am going to experiment with a fishing pole and pipe insulation to see how that works out (Heath Robinson is alive and well) and it will go well with my homemade sun shade.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use a loop of elastic cord (doubled Aerolastic) around the outer end of each horizontal arm. A guy goes out from each loop at right-angles to the outer rail and another from each in line with the rail. Erect the awning with one end lower than the other to allow water to drain off. This arrangement works unless the wind is strong enough to continually collapse the awning towards the van - which makes enough noise to warn me to roll it in.

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Cheers for replays guys, will look into all options.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back