Fiamma Zip Awning + Enclosure - Safe when windy? (1 Viewer)

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp
Hi

We have only had our motorhome for about a month, and wondered how sturdy the Fiamma Zip awning is with the full enclosure fitted, extra poles fitted and all pegged down. We have been parking the motorhome with the awning away from the wind to protect it, is it safe to leave it up all night (in case the wind gets up or changes direction). I see that caravans always have awnings left erect permanently, but not Motorhomes. Will the roof seems to flap about more than the sides, will it withstand a bit of wind :rain:. We have some Fiamma axle stands which stops the motorhome from rocking and adding further movement to the awning.

Any advice welcome...:thanks2:

:helpsos:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi N&K
If your using the skirt along the bottom of your m/home to stop the wind getting underneath and a tiedown then it's pretty robust.
We used ours in the storms before christmas without problems, just make certain it's well pegged down and with it being in the lee of the van i think you'll be ok :thumb:

regards...nige

Upvote 0

playbyte

xMember
May 4, 2008
Kirton-in-Lindsey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi N&K We have just been out all weekend with our awing as we have a dog and that is his main area for sleeping etc.
Whilst we didnt fully tie down our awning, just a peg in the feet and some around the skirts, it withstood a lot of wind and flapping around. Yes it came away from the roof section but that was caused by my inneficiency in not making it secure in the first place.
The zippers remained closed at all times despite there being a lot of wind trying its best to undo them. We set up our awning in the lee of the van but the wind still managed to change direction on us and gave us some concern.
As far as we are concerned we are extreemly happy with our awning and once we have learnt to tie it down properly then im sure we would not experience some of the flapping we heard during the night.
Roger & Marion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi you can add Fiamma leg awning plates and tie downs for extra security. Check our website below.

Ideal for fixing front legs to the ground, in order to increase the resistance in case of strong wind and to protect the legs. Made with extra strong plastic. It is suitable for all types of Fiamma and Omni awning legs. Delivered with pegs. Colour Platinum. Dimensions: 20x20 cm. Kit 2 pieces.

Useful strap to hold the awning firmly anchored to the ground in case of wind. The kit includes 11m of black or yellow adjustable band, stakes and a tension spring. It fits crank awnings and traditional annex up to 600cm length

Regards

Attachments

• leg plate.jpg
    leg plate.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 69
  • tie down kit black.jpg
    tie down kit black.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The awning tie down straps are must for any windy situations, I substitute the large steel pegs supplied, with the "dog lead" corkscrew in the ground type pegs:thumb:
If we do get blown away were going as a unit:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH