Fiamma type island table (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi, I am in the process of replacing my van and I have seen one that has a table on a single post, looks very much like

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/bases-legs/fiamma-island-leg-set-1131-p.html

Those who also have such a table I was wondering do you travel with the table up or is it necessary to put this type of table away when travelling. My previous van had a single leg one side with the far side of the table attached to the van wall and was fine for travelling, however, not sure about the effect of 'swaying' forces on a single post table. Any experiences welcomed.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
If the post is fastened to the floor and the table top is fitted to the top of the post correctly you should have no problem ,plenty of vans have them .Enjoy lol .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had one in our Van Conversion and travelled with it up - never gave a thought about it being dangerous (until now) We have removed the table in our current M/H and use a table with a single leg on a tripod that does for both inside and out. However that is stowed away for travelling,

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We had one in our PVC and travelled with it both in the up position and stowed away with no problems.
The post is tapered both ends and fits snugly into both the floor fitting and the table top and if anything it was a struggle parting them apart on occasions. The posts are available in different lengths so be sure to get one the right length or you will be resting your chin on the table or having to get longer arms to reach it.

We also had the tripod legs so you could use the table outside as well.

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/bases-legs/fiamma-tripod-table-stand.html

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted User
Put it away! You wouldn't want it flying past your heads if you made an emergency stop....
Clearly don't want to ignore good advice, have many members experienced this?

OP
OP

Deleted User
If the post is fastened to the floor and the table top is fitted to the top of the post correctly you should have no problem ,plenty of vans have them .Enjoy lol .
Thanks, looking forward to getting back out in the van, old one sold before I bought the new one, wont do that again!

OP
OP

Deleted User
We had one in our Van Conversion and travelled with it up - never gave a thought about it being dangerous (until now) We have removed the table in our current M/H and use a table with a single leg on a tripod that does for both inside and out. However that is stowed away for travelling,
Had a look at the tripod, looks a great solution for outside and save carrying an extra table, thanks

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Clearly don't want to ignore good advice, have many members experienced this?

We all must have. Ever had to brake hard in a car and hear everything in the boot slide forward, or things slide off the seat?

Far worse would happen in an accident if you come to a sudden stop because then everything not well secured will come flying forward.

OP
OP

Deleted User
We had one in our PVC and travelled with it both in the up position and stowed away with no problems.
The post is tapered both ends and fits snugly into both the floor fitting and the table top and if anything it was a struggle parting them apart on occasions. The posts are available in different lengths so be sure to get one the right length or you will be resting your chin on the table or having to get longer arms to reach it.

We also had the tripod legs so you could use the table outside as well.

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/bases-legs/fiamma-tripod-table-stand.html
The table comes with the van so I will have to wait and see how it fits for size and order a different length if unsuitable

OP
OP

Deleted User
We all must have. Ever had to brake hard in a car and hear everything in the boot slide forward, or things slide off the seat?

Far worse would happen in an accident if you come to a sudden stop because then everything not well secured will come flying forward.
Agree and guess that was my point in asking the question ie how secure are they when travelling which on occasions mean stopping suddenly, my last table (standard dinette type) stayed exactly where it was when braking hard, I was just wondering how robust others had found theirs and their general experience with them

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We can't remove ours. It is screwed firmly into the floor and firmly screwed to the underside of the table.

Denise

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
there was a post on a self build group which showed the table not being very stable the newer one have a plastic end that wobbles

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
there was a post on a self build group which showed the table not being very stable the newer one have a plastic end that wobbles

I bought one recently for our van together with a table top and the tripod legs. The ends of the leg are plastic and there is now only one size. Fiamma supply it with the plastic ends loose and give you 4 screws. Once you have cut the leg to the right length you have to screw the plastic ends on. The screws go into the aluminium extrusion which is the round post and they are very difficult to screw up tightly. I suspect some don't get them tight and this is why the leg wobbles.

My table is quite secure, but it travels in one of the wardrobes with the fittings I made and bought:

upload_2019-4-16_21-33-40.jpeg

The bottom of the post is secured in this wooden bracket. Its painted to match the wood finish. The bottom of the tripod leg is also secured in a wooden block.

upload_2019-4-16_21-35-53.jpeg

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks for the pics, very neat and tidy job you've done there

OP
OP

Deleted User
IVE GOT A POLE AND TABLE SECTION IM TAKING TO THE BRING AND BUY WHERE ARE YOU?
Thanks for the offer, however, the van already has a table I just haven't picked it up yet and was simply wondering whether members stowed it away for every journey or left it in situ.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back