Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I broke the top vent on the MH, so I phoned John Cross and ordered a new on, great service and 10% Motorhomefun discount, so far so good.

Took it out of the box today, thought I would start to fix it, they tell you (Fiamma) to fix it to the roof using 20 4.2x30mm screws, and the underneath part with 4 self tapping 3.5x15mm screws.

So were are they, I mean if they can tell you the screws that you need, why are they not in the box! Oh! we don't supply the screws!!!!:mad:

Is it me? I expect to find the bloomin screws in the box, I mean for goodness sake supplying 24 screws is not that expensive instead of £40 why don't they throw the screws in, or even charge £40.50. You get all ready to fix it, them have to go out and get the screws.

I am going to have a beer now.......or even 2 :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm with you on this rant. I understand " batteries not included" as they may be flat by the time the item is sold but screws, na, should have been there.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh no David, unfollow this post. You'll never be the same again lol.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
20 holes in roof wouldn't be me

I fitted a mini heki the other day only hole in roof is the square one the vent screws together top and bottom

And a screws plus extras in box

Got the other one to fit on Wednesday

Omnistor vents I removed are the same no screw holes in roof

You just need one of those 20 to leak and you have problems

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this may not be well timed if you have now had both your beers, but if were only replacing the thing why could you not reuse the old screws?

or have I missed a key fact (again) :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
this not be well timed if you have now had both your beers, but if were only replacing the thing why could you not reuse the old screws?

or have I missed a key fact (again) :D

Thought, BEFORE I take the old one off, have ALL the equipment handy as the old screws might be stuffed, this is a first for me as I normally start a job, going well....until halfway through....then, Oh! Poo, I haven't got that bit, shops are shut, then, my dearly beloved says.....WHY didn't you make sure BEFORE you started! And you know what happens then, don't you my friends!!:)

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
have a few more , fix the bloody thing with 6 inch nails, use the spikes as an aerial, sorted!

Till you sober up!

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I agree with you mate if they know what you need to fix it put the bl**dy stuff in the box. After all the one you took out might not match the one that's being refitted in the screw positions. After all we fella don't like screwing in the same position or place.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I fitted a couple of Fiamma vents on the In-Laws motorhome.

I thought it best to use stainless screws for the job.

We have the same vents on our Chausson, no leaks so far!

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
always best to supply your own screws to allow you to buy quality. I never use screws supplied with anything as they are usually made of toffee and the heads just round off. The same goes for raw plugs

Nov 21, 2011
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 400
Exp
7 years
If I buy anything for our van new I resist the temptation to buy anything that has the Fiamma logo.Its generally over priced crap!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummm.. why not just replace the bit that is broken and leave the original fitting in place ? ( or is it the surround that is broken ? .. In which case ... I have to ask ... HOW !!!! :D )

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Ummm.. why not just replace the bit that is broken and leave the original fitting in place ? ( or is it the surround that is broken ? .. In which case ... I have to ask ... HOW !!!! :D )

Weeeeell, I had my MH parked under my sun shelter, unknown to me, my darling wife had raised the vent....like full! I then drove forward and the "Lid" hit the roof support of the sun shelter and twisted the bar that is used to raise and lower the "lid" so much so that it will not close. I am going to get onto the roof and have a proper look at it in the next few days as the weather is now cooling down and it wont be to hot (near Seville Spain). The problem was that I thought it better to buy a new one whilst we were in the UK (soon to be England and Wales :) ) as it would be difficult/expensive and time consuming to get it once back at my Spanish winter house.

It may be possible for me to repair, but as I once tried to be a girl guide, I thought that I would be prepared.

I will also tell you Mr Jaws, that is not the only daft thing that we have ever done.;)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I replaced the roof vent on a previous motorhome I didn't use any screws on the outside at all - just the requisite 'ribbon' sealant which did the job and the screws inside to attach the ceiling cover to the outer ... job done.

Just a word of warning ... the old sealant will be an absolute b*gger to get off so be prepared to spend a lot of time up there with a plastic scraper (old credit card with one edge sharpened) getting it off ... I speak from experience as at the time I decided to replace TWO and wish I'd only done one! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When I replaced the roof vent on a previous motorhome I didn't use any screws on the outside at all - just the requisite 'ribbon' sealant which did the job and the screws inside to attach the ceiling cover to the outer ... job done.

Just a word of warning ... the old sealant will be an absolute b*gger to get off so be prepared to spend a lot of time up there with a plastic scraper (old credit card with one edge sharpened) getting it off ... I speak from experience as at the time I decided to replace TWO and wish I'd only done one! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, I will start it on Monday, tell me, did you roof vent have holes for the screws? If they did, you must have thought, well I won't bother, which is something I have been thinking because as you say, the sealant sticks like s*ht to a blanket.:)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp

Turpentine and a sponge scourer works well removing the old sealant and a Stanley blade ....

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thanks for the info, I will start it on Monday, tell me, did you roof vent have holes for the screws? If they did, you must have thought, well I won't bother, which is something I have been thinking because as you say, the sealant sticks like s*ht to a blanket.:)
They probably fitted similar to the one I just removed or the dometic seitz mini heki I just fitted ....no screws to go through roof the outside bit gets stuck on with mastic and the inner bit screws to the outer part from inside ....there's only one hole in the roof that way instead of 21

If you've 20 existing holes in your roof fair enough fit the fiamma but if you haven't then I'd seriously reconsider fitting one now

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
They probably fitted similar to the one I just removed or the dometic seitz mini heki I just fitted ....no screws to go through roof the outside bit gets stuck on with mastic and the inner bit screws to the outer part from inside ....there's only one hole in the roof that way instead of 21

If you've 20 existing holes in your roof fair enough fit the fiamma but if you haven't then I'd seriously reconsider fitting one now

After reading your post, I thought I would inspect the new vent, sure enough the inside screws to the out side with four screws. Looks like I will forget screwing the top bit to the roof, unless the holes are already there, and just stick it with mastic and screw up from inside.

It just has to be worth £10 per year to get such a lot of advice. (y)

If I pay another £5 will somebody passing junction 53 Seville Huelva motorway, drop in and help, you can even park up overnight. :):whistle:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
After reading your post, I thought I would inspect the new vent, sure enough the inside screws to the out side with four screws. Looks like I will forget screwing the top bit to the roof, unless the holes are already there, and just stick it with mastic and screw up from inside.

It just has to be worth £10 per year to get such a lot of advice. (y)

If I pay another £5 will somebody passing junction 53 Seville Huelva motorway, drop in and help, you can even park up overnight. :):whistle:
To be honest I've not seen any that screws to the roof but you never know :)

At least your im a mostly dry climate hear in Scotland you need it to be seriously water tight lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back