Fiamma rear box fitting (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just starting to fit a ultra box 500 to the bike carrier on my auto sleeper broadway and realising how flaming useless the instructions are. Lots of pictures but no words. The cycle carrier is a two bike one. The instructions seem to indicate you have a fixing choice of B, (4 fixings through the rear panel of the box using nuts only to fit on).
B1 4 fixings through the rear panel of the box using wing nuts to fit on).
B2 (2 fixings on the rear panel and two on the base panel using wing nuts on the rear and not on the base). Anyone else fitted one and what would you recommend.
Thanks. John.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I used four U bolts bought from a boat chandelier. These go around the vertical tubes of the bike carrier, two on each tube.
Mine is the larger 700 and it still moved a bit so I fitted a fifth bolt on the bottom on the left hand end of the box. This is a tee-bolt which fits into the channel the bike tyres on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Had ours fitted at Wildax Elland on the build,it has Two through to the uprights and two through to the " Outer" of the drop down bike bits, these are about 4 to 6" in from the outside of the box.
It came back 'ear with............ plenty in and some.
Tips? 1. The "White Wing Nuts"...Can.. be over tightened :whistle: when you check things over after the first run .
2. Don't forget to trim the eccess? bolt bits off,i got elected to do this job:ROFLMAO:.
The Chevroned marker is now held on with two bungees and some pipe wrap plastic fixings,so if you get passed by someone whoes marker is held on with bits of G.P.O rope flapping in the wind ..... It is no longer us(y)
Tea Bag.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Do not think I will bother, too much faffing about. If I do, then it will be U bolt time. All the best though with what appears to be a very informative info sheet (not) reminds of the flat pack day's past (MFI:wasntme:)

OP
OP
Goforit
Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Well I decided on the fixing plan and then got into action with my trusty drill, only to find holes did not line up with vertical bars. Tried again two times with same result. I now have a well aerated back box that makes us look like fugitives from Bonnie and Clyde. Stopped for night to top up on beers and will have another go tomorrow. If that don't work I'll pay a man that "can".
Thanks to all those that replied.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Well I decided on the fixing plan and then got into action with my trusty drill, only to find holes did not line up with vertical bars. Tried again two times with same result. I now have a well aerated back box that makes us look like fugitives from Bonnie and Clyde. Stopped for night to top up on beers and will have another go tomorrow. If that don't work I'll pay a man that "can".

You know what they say, practice makes perfect:rolleyes:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The reason we had it fitted at Wildax is "We" had also look like fugitives in the past.On getting back here,i undid the GPO rope and said to Jennifer."Good,i can now drill holes in the lid and bolt the Marker board on". Me being a bit DEAF,filtered out part what she had said and decided that Pipe wrap fastenings and 2 bungy cords would be preferable (To a night in A@E) Onwards and upwards.:whistle:
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Goforit
Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I eventually got it done. For the benefit of future readers doing the same job the trick is to do the base fittings first. Two of the central “channels “ in the bottom of the box - in my case - are 60cm apart. This lines up exact with the bottom bars of the bike carrier. So you can’t go wrong when drilling the holes. And the box is centred on the bike rack, (as long as that’s central). Just make sure you use a bracket as a template and both ends of the U bolt go through the box in an OK place.
You can then fit the brackets on the back. You may need a guide hole on the first to see where you are. This can be covered with Duct tape afterwards after all that’s what it was invented for. There should be a Nobel prize for Duct tape invention! Having got the first bracket in place just measure 60cm from the first holes along to the next one. No need for guide holes and you can sling the Duct tape. And Roberts your Dads brother. Would have all been so much easier with some words in the instructions instead of Euro compliant pictures.

Jul 14, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2020
Hi Goforit (how apt)
Thanks for sharing how you did it in the end! An old ‘ish thread I know.....
but, you went through such pain - I bet it’s still very vivid in your memory!
We’re looking at buying Fiamma Ultra Box 500 It’s easy to find external and internal measurements but as we‘re trying to make optimum use of the space.
I just need to understand how Fiamma have taken the internal measurement, as far as I can see the box has rounded edges.
Fingers crossed you know what I’m talking about.
Thanks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi Goforit (how apt)
Thanks for sharing how you did it in the end! An old ‘ish thread I know.....
but, you went through such pain - I bet it’s still very vivid in your memory!
We’re looking at buying Fiamma Ultra Box 500 It’s easy to find external and internal measurements but as we‘re trying to make optimum use of the space.
I just need to understand how Fiamma have taken the internal measurement, as far as I can see the box has rounded edges.
Fingers crossed you know what I’m talking about.
Thanks
I have the 700 and it has rounded corners. The 500 will be the same I'm sure. Without making detailed measurements I would allow 50mm for each corner. So if you wanted to fit something in with sharp corners it would need to be 100mm shorter than any internal measurement if you want it to be to make the most of the space.

Jul 14, 2020
Southport
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2020
Hi DBK
I’m sure you’re right, thanks for your amazingly quick reply!

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back