Fiamma Rear Bike Rack "Slipped"] (1 Viewer)

Busker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
April 2016 Lots to Learn!
Hello, We have a PVC Autocruise Forte 2013 motorhome which we bought with a bike rack attached. We have just recently started to use the rack to carry two bikes which did not exceed the weight limit of the rack. We found after our last trip that the rack appeared to have moved and that the top of the rear door was buckled at the top, with the top bar of the rack now resting on the edge of back window. Horror! Has anyone had similar experience and what can be done to remedy. Thanks All

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Out of interest how much do the bikes actually weigh? Also which version of the rack have you got?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have heard of doors buckling on PVC. After reading about it we decided not to fit a door mounted rack.
Hope you can get it repaired ok.
In the end we bought folding Bromptons to carry inside the van, but if we had carried on with our original plan for full sized bikes we would have fitted a tow bar mounted system or the swing out rack from Busbiker.
No help to you at present though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Busker

Busker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hello Minxy and Rivernankie, the model is carrybike 200 DJ Ducati. The bikes are basic Halford model approx 15kg each Carrier is 35 kg max. Just in process of checking fitting is correct and trawling the net for similar type of damage. Thanks hope so too .

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Is there a quoted weight limit on what your rear doors will carry.

The static weight of the bikes is within the tolerance of the rack, but the effect of travelling over an undulating road, with the leverage effect of the bikes, especially the one furthest from the van, could easily put more than your spare 5kg in to the equation.

I've also heard of rear PVC doors buckling and will be fitting a tow bar mounted carrier for that reason.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hello Minxy and Rivernankie, the model is carrybike 200 DJ Ducati. The bikes are basic Halford model approx 15kg each Carrier is 35 kg max. Just in process of checking fitting is correct and trawling the net for similar type of damage. Thanks hope so too .

We used to have a 2012 Autocruise Accent with the same bike rack fitted:

Does my bum look big.JPG

From what you've said it makes me wonder if yours was fitted correctly in the first place as ours never moved at all, however if the bikes can move/add leverage it will exacerbate the actual forces put on it and take it over the 35kg limit.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

View attachment 176849

From what you've said it makes me wonder if yours was fitted correctly in the first place as ours never moved at all, however if the bikes can move/add leverage it will exacerbate the actual forces put on it and take it over the 35kg limit.

Been using one similar to above on a Symphony and a Symbol plus an aluminium box fitted on each door at the bottom for in excess of 25000 miles now,,,no problem at all. Mind you besides the boxes being bolted to the doors they are also supported underneath by the rear step,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
Busker

Busker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

View attachment 176849

Hi after some investigation it seems that the rack was held by the clamps at sides although predrilled holes present no bolts used! Feel now situation could have been a lot worse.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi after some investigation it seems that the rack was held by the clamps at sides although predrilled holes present no bolts used! Feel now situation could have been a lot worse.
Mine clamp to the door edge but have also been riveted to the door,,BUSBY.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we had a clamp on one and that started to bend the doors ours was an early model the later ones have the fixings further apart like the one pictured earlier which put the support closer to the hinges fixing instructions say the extra holes are for improved security but they must help to stop slippage as well rather than drill holes i would be temted to put some sika flex under the rails

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is the older Fiamma PVC rack which hooked over the door and distorted them:

Whilst I was having a 'google' for a photo of the old type one I found the below swing-out one hinged on the right which I'd not seen before (ignore the lines of text at the top of the page and just scroll down for piccies!):

This is the Busbiker NL one which also swings out:

https://www.busbiker.com/

_MDH3385_1.jpg

This is the Atera Strada DL 3 towball bike rack along with a couple of videos
:

OP
OP
Busker

Busker

Free Member
Jul 8, 2014
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
we had a clamp on one and that started to bend the doors ours was an early model the later ones have the fixings further apart like the one pictured earlier which put the support closer to the hinges fixing instructions say the extra holes are for improved security but they must help to stop slippage as well rather than drill holes i would be temted to put some sika flex under the rails

Thanks for info, There was some sort of mastic type residue revealed when bottom rail dropped, so that might have been used in original fitting. Having an estimate from approved workshop Mon.
Thanks to Everyone one for input, have not yet mastered quotes multi quotes as yet bit hit and miss! Thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back