LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
We are considering putting an awning on our van, has anyone any experience of the new fiamma awning.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
No experience of one but as we attach "stuff" ....lights .. Sometimes side panels .. Sometimes towels to dry then it would be no good as it has an auto close facility. Also with no legs it's not going to support wet towels or anything else hanging from it. Nice but useless for us

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I don't advocate keeping an awning out if it's windy.. as soon as the wind gets up mine is wound in.. but I always use tie down straps just in case there is an unexpected gust.... seen many over the roof when that happened..

If you can't tie it down.. and there is no other benefit.. it's a thumbs down from me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is the one:

http://www.fiammastore.com/Motorhom...F45-Eagle-Self-Supporting-Motorcaravan-Awning

I wonder how quickly it can retract ... with a sudden gust as is often experienced even on clear and windless days, I can still see it 'flying' over the top of the van! It would also place a lot of weight/stress on the side of the van - see their disclaimer regarding this.

Nice idea and I can see the benefits, especially for those with limited mobility etc (or just plain lazy muppets :D ), but I would just never feel safe using it.

[I love the 'related products' at the bottom of the page showing tie down kits! :LOL: ]

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You've got an Elddis Autoquest 155 ... I very much doubt very much that it is constructed well enough to take this awning anyway ... sorry.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The stress put on the sidewall would be of concern to me. You are looking at a lot of leverage against the van without any support legs. Imagine a sudden gust or sudden douwnpour increasing the load!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dogeared

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to everyone, yes I was unsure how well built the van is and the concern about sudden gusts makes sense. I'll stick to tried and tested awning with supports.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back